Distance between cooker and cooker switch/socket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distance between cooker and cooker switch/socket

Hi, I have searched high and low for a specific answer and am struggling to get anywhere. Some answers suggest 10cm, others recommend 30cm minimum clearance horizontally.

I'm renovating a property and where I want to reposition a freestanding 60cm electric cooker, it will be located pretty close to a socket. The socket is obviously above worktop height, so you can't really go perfectly 'horizontally' from the cooker to the socket. If you go horizontally from the edge of the hob, across to directly beneath the socket, the distance is about 8cm. If you take a diagnonal line from the edge of the hob to the socket, the distance is 20cm. But my query is-when considering a 'horizontal' distance from one to the other, are we talking perfectly horizontal, or can we use distances diagonally? If diagonal is acceptable, then I should be ok.

If I can get an answer on that then I can identify whether this is a safe idea. Please don't worry-a professional electrician will be doing all works, but I want to ensure I understand the rules fully myself, as I will be the one renting the house.

Thanks to all

There is no minimum distance in BS 7671 ... in the building regs there is a suggestion of minimum 300 mm

the dimension is on a horizontal plain, so draw a vertical line from the edge of the cooker then measure horizontally from the socket edge to the vertical line

if I’m designing I aim for 600 mm

if you will be renting, why does this matter to you?

just remember the LL will need to get a satisfactory EICR before you move in or are you the LL?

Comment

Hi Neelix, thanks so much for info. That explanation helps me to know how to actually interpret the suggested clearances.
      Yes, I am LL-apologies with the way I phrased the question. I will obviously be getting electrician to sort, but I want to ensure I know the rules myself too.

That's interesting that there is no minimum distance mentioned in the BS.

So if I use the method you outlined above, let's say we currently have a socket which is within 75mm from the edge of the hob to edge of socket. I know electricians work in straight lines-so could a metal blanking plate be put over existing socket and install a new double socket right beside it, i.e. on the opposite side, so that actual sockets are further from the hot zone? I know it still wouldn't be the suggested minimum of 300mm, but perhaps it would be better than current set up? This way there is no combustible material close to the hob (a metal blank plate would still be 75mm away, but presumably with no live sockets and made of metal, it's not 'combustible'?).

Thanks for your time

Comment

I would recommend you ask the person making the changes their opinion

Comment

I certainly will-just trying to gauge a few opinions before I start, get some pros and cons etc. Knowledge is power

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Possible delay in Gas Safety check
            by Ozzie11
            Dear all,

I am a first time landlord. I wanted to check that is it an absolute requirement that the CP12 check must be done within 365 days of the last certificate, or is there some flexibility say if it is done a few days after the certificate expires? Does the gas engineer refuse to do...
            17-04-2021, 23:53 PM
          • Reply to Possible delay in Gas Safety check
            by Neelix
            Just get it booked in. Most GSR's are very busy (as are sparks) so as long as you have it all arranged I can't imagine that there will be any issues
            18-04-2021, 10:05 AM
            by jpkeates
            The flexibility works the other way, you can have the test done earlier and retain the same expiry anniversary.

The requirement is absolute (it's like an MOT).
            No one will decline to carry out a test if there's a gap.
            18-04-2021, 09:16 AM
            by DPT57
            It is an absolute requirement. The gas engineer won't refuse to do it. I doubt the HSE would be interested if the tenant complained, but you may encounter problems if you ever need to use s21...
            18-04-2021, 09:16 AM
          • Reply to GSC expiry question
            by Stew
            The same is true from many gas testers, I get mine done early and then contact the company again on the actual date of the expiry and they generate a new certificate to keep the original expiry date. All totally above board it's just the software they use does not allow them to forward date a certificate....
            15-04-2021, 19:13 PM
          • GSC expiry question
            by leasee123
            Going to do a gas safe certificate soon for my property but the engineer mentioned that the expiry will be exactly 1 year from when he does it. However, I am getting it done about a month earleir than expiry. I told the engineer this but he said there is no way to change the date to get the additional...
            13-04-2021, 20:42 PM
            by jpucng62
            no but you can change your gas guy to someone who can comply with the law.
            15-04-2021, 16:05 PM
            by leasee123
            Yeah he knows the rules it is just that his device does not allow him to use custom dates. Anyway I got this done so lost out on a month (better than having to re-organise for another date).

I assume I can not show last years certificate to get the original expiry next year?
            14-04-2021, 22:45 PM
          • Reply to Cadent Gas Meter Relocation
            by nukecad
            Basic laziness, and not having to get permissions or disrupt the housholders too much.
            It seems to be becoming pretty common for companies to run new gas pipes externally.
            I liken it to electricians who run new wire in trunking rather than in/behind the walls and floors, because it's easier/quicker/cheaper...
            14-04-2021, 09:21 AM
          • Cadent Gas Meter Relocation
            by LZBash
            Would be interested on thoughts on the following.

I own a first floor leasehold maisonette with the gas meter located inside the kitchen.

Cadent, this week, are upgrading the gas mains pipes in the street and, as part of these works, have relocated the gas meter from the kitchen...
            14-04-2021, 00:17 AM
          Working...
          X