Can an electrician certify his own work ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can an electrician certify his own work ?

I am currently refurbishing a property which is to be fully rewired.
    is the electrician allowed to issue a EICR . ? as he is effectively checking his own work,
    or does this have to be certified by an independent qualified electrician. ?

thanks

He can do his own.

Comment

Yes, my electrician has just conducted an EICR on one of my properties and done some work to get it up to standard with new consumer unit etc..... then has then issued the cert.

Comment

Is he registered with a competent persons scheme? An EICR is a report on the existing installation. If your electrician is rewiring then you will require an EIC

Comment

He is, he owns/runs a firm who outfit new builds and commercial premises, when i say 'my electrician' he is not a mate of a mate, but this is his main business and has been in it for many years.

Comment

sorry Hudson01 I was referring to the OP. My bad. I should have 'quoted'

Comment

Thanks darkstar : what is the EIC ?

Comment

Electrical
                Installation
                Certificate

mandatory for many types of electrical installations including a rewire, not to be confused with an

Electrical
                Installation
                Condition

which is only used to report on the condition of the electrical Installation

and a rewire in England or Wales needs to be covered by a Part P notification too

Comment

All there above from neelix

Comment

Not only can an electrician do this, but he's legally obliged to ensure it is done,and it's unusual for him not to do it himself.

Comment

in fact alarm bells should be ringing if they can’t do the EIC, EICR and Part P

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Possible delay in Gas Safety check
                        by Neelix
                        Just get it booked in. Most GSR's are very busy (as are sparks) so as long as you have it all arranged I can't imagine that there will be any issues
                        18-04-2021, 10:05 AM
                      • Possible delay in Gas Safety check
                        by Ozzie11
                        Dear all,

I am a first time landlord. I wanted to check that is it an absolute requirement that the CP12 check must be done within 365 days of the last certificate, or is there some flexibility say if it is done a few days after the certificate expires? Does the gas engineer refuse to do...
                        17-04-2021, 23:53 PM
                        by jpkeates
                        The flexibility works the other way, you can have the test done earlier and retain the same expiry anniversary.

The requirement is absolute (it's like an MOT).
                        No one will decline to carry out a test if there's a gap.
                        18-04-2021, 09:16 AM
                        by DPT57
                        It is an absolute requirement. The gas engineer won't refuse to do it. I doubt the HSE would be interested if the tenant complained, but you may encounter problems if you ever need to use s21...
                        18-04-2021, 09:16 AM
                      • GSC expiry question
                        by leasee123
                        Going to do a gas safe certificate soon for my property but the engineer mentioned that the expiry will be exactly 1 year from when he does it. However, I am getting it done about a month earleir than expiry. I told the engineer this but he said there is no way to change the date to get the additional...
                        13-04-2021, 20:42 PM
                      • Reply to GSC expiry question
                        by Stew
                        The same is true from many gas testers, I get mine done early and then contact the company again on the actual date of the expiry and they generate a new certificate to keep the original expiry date. All totally above board it's just the software they use does not allow them to forward date a certificate....
                        15-04-2021, 19:13 PM
                        by jpucng62
                        no but you can change your gas guy to someone who can comply with the law.
                        15-04-2021, 16:05 PM
                        by leasee123
                        Yeah he knows the rules it is just that his device does not allow him to use custom dates. Anyway I got this done so lost out on a month (better than having to re-organise for another date).

I assume I can not show last years certificate to get the original expiry next year?
                        14-04-2021, 22:45 PM
                      • Cadent Gas Meter Relocation
                        by LZBash
                        Would be interested on thoughts on the following.

I own a first floor leasehold maisonette with the gas meter located inside the kitchen.

Cadent, this week, are upgrading the gas mains pipes in the street and, as part of these works, have relocated the gas meter from the kitchen...
                        14-04-2021, 00:17 AM
                      • Reply to Cadent Gas Meter Relocation
                        by nukecad
                        Basic laziness, and not having to get permissions or disrupt the housholders too much.
                        It seems to be becoming pretty common for companies to run new gas pipes externally.
                        I liken it to electricians who run new wire in trunking rather than in/behind the walls and floors, because it's easier/quicker/cheaper...
                        14-04-2021, 09:21 AM
                      Working...
                      X