EICR Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EICR Question

There has probably already been many questions on this so I apologise for yet another!

I have an EICR which is about 3 years old and my current tenants moved in about 15 months ago, prior to having to provide a new EICR to new tenants I think.

Is this EICR still valid or will I need to get a new one prior April 1st?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

I would say give the existing EICR to the lettings agents .......

Comment

They last 5 years from issue, so you will be fine for 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post
        They last 5 years from issue, so you will be fine for 2 years.
        that’s not strictly true.

the legislation states to be inspected to the 18th edition, which came into effect in Jan 2019

inspected to doesn’t mean the installation needs to meet the 18th edition , so non compliance’s to earlier editions should receive a C3 or a comment.

Certainly not a C2

Comment

This post should be redirected to the correct forum,

Depends upon the following answers -

- How many years does the EICR say it is valid for
          - Has any changes happened in the property regarding the electricity (new sockets, switch's, RCD's)
          - Do you have a lot of churn in T's?

If your certificate is still valid, and nothing has changed in the property, and you do not have a high turn around on T's then your certificate is valid and you will not need to issue a new certificate.

Comment

I believe Neelix is correct in post #4

Comment

“electrical safety standards” means the standards for electrical installations in the eighteenth edition of the Wiring Regulations, published by the Institution of Engineering and Technology and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2018
              According to Amazon UK, that was published in July 2018, and as per Neelix and DPT57 said only came into effect in January 2019 so if the last inspection was before that, the certificate wouldn't be valid for the purpose of the new electrical safety requirements.
              I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Many thanks to all for your replies and my apologies if this was not posted on the correct forum.

In answer to ash72, I have a low turnover and everything is still as it was when the previous inspection took place.

It is interesting to see that there are obviously differences in the understanding of this requirement.

My feeling from reading these replies is that it is likely that my safest, and probably correct, course of action would be to get a new inspection done.

I guess it's on me now!
                ​​

Comment

I think if you have an EICR that is in date (ie less than 5 yrs) and which didn't say anything less than 5 yrs for a retest you are fine. Whilst the last test may have been done to a previous standard I can't believe anyone will ever work that out or care! These are not cheap so I will not be doing mine again until they are due (and some are 4 years old now so due later this year).

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
                    These are not cheap so I will not be doing mine again until they are due (and some are 4 years old now so due later this year).
                    Hum, get a cheaper EICR, you are almost guaranteed that it will identify more C2’s , which cost more to put right, but aren’t actually needed

EICRs are like gas checks, get them done properly, keep your tenants safe

and if the inspector says it needs retesting in 3 years, then that will be the date on the EICR

Comment

I think even the electricians are tiring of doing these in such numbers and as a result showing more lenience than six or nine months ago

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfreehold View Post
                        I think even the electricians are tiring of doing these in such numbers and as a result showing more lenience than six or nine months ago
                        my approach hasn’t changed. But I don’t do many EICR’s

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post

Hum, get a cheaper EICR, you are almost guaranteed that it will identify more C2’s , which cost more to put right, but aren’t actually needed

EICRs are like gas checks, get them done properly, keep your tenants safe
                          I don't get a cheap one, I get one from an electrician I trust (who put in the consumer units 5 years ago as well as updating the installation) so I don't feel the need to do it early due to some arbitrary Govt policy. I certainly want to keep my tenants safe which is why I have been doing these for 20 years and why my dates don't match up with 18th ed or Govt policy.

As with much of my house maintenance - do it right, do it once!

Comment

Landlords should be aware that the inspector can put a date for the next inspection of less than 5 years - this is fairly typical of much older installations.

My shortest re-test date is 1 year

a 5 year re-test isn't a given.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Possible delay in Gas Safety check
                              by Ozzie11
                              Dear all,

I am a first time landlord. I wanted to check that is it an absolute requirement that the CP12 check must be done within 365 days of the last certificate, or is there some flexibility say if it is done a few days after the certificate expires? Does the gas engineer refuse to do...
                              17-04-2021, 23:53 PM
                            • Reply to Possible delay in Gas Safety check
                              by Neelix
                              Just get it booked in. Most GSR's are very busy (as are sparks) so as long as you have it all arranged I can't imagine that there will be any issues
                              18-04-2021, 10:05 AM
                              by jpkeates
                              The flexibility works the other way, you can have the test done earlier and retain the same expiry anniversary.

The requirement is absolute (it's like an MOT).
                              No one will decline to carry out a test if there's a gap.
                              18-04-2021, 09:16 AM
                              by DPT57
                              It is an absolute requirement. The gas engineer won't refuse to do it. I doubt the HSE would be interested if the tenant complained, but you may encounter problems if you ever need to use s21...
                              18-04-2021, 09:16 AM
                            • Reply to GSC expiry question
                              by Stew
                              The same is true from many gas testers, I get mine done early and then contact the company again on the actual date of the expiry and they generate a new certificate to keep the original expiry date. All totally above board it's just the software they use does not allow them to forward date a certificate....
                              15-04-2021, 19:13 PM
                            • GSC expiry question
                              by leasee123
                              Going to do a gas safe certificate soon for my property but the engineer mentioned that the expiry will be exactly 1 year from when he does it. However, I am getting it done about a month earleir than expiry. I told the engineer this but he said there is no way to change the date to get the additional...
                              13-04-2021, 20:42 PM
                              by jpucng62
                              no but you can change your gas guy to someone who can comply with the law.
                              15-04-2021, 16:05 PM
                              by leasee123
                              Yeah he knows the rules it is just that his device does not allow him to use custom dates. Anyway I got this done so lost out on a month (better than having to re-organise for another date).

I assume I can not show last years certificate to get the original expiry next year?
                              14-04-2021, 22:45 PM
                            • Reply to Cadent Gas Meter Relocation
                              by nukecad
                              Basic laziness, and not having to get permissions or disrupt the housholders too much.
                              It seems to be becoming pretty common for companies to run new gas pipes externally.
                              I liken it to electricians who run new wire in trunking rather than in/behind the walls and floors, because it's easier/quicker/cheaper...
                              14-04-2021, 09:21 AM
                            • Cadent Gas Meter Relocation
                              by LZBash
                              Would be interested on thoughts on the following.

I own a first floor leasehold maisonette with the gas meter located inside the kitchen.

Cadent, this week, are upgrading the gas mains pipes in the street and, as part of these works, have relocated the gas meter from the kitchen...
                              14-04-2021, 00:17 AM
                            Working...
                            X