Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CO alarm regs

The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Regs 2015 Q&A booklet says:

Carbon monoxide alarms are only required in rooms containing a solid fuel burning appliance (ie rooms containing an open fire, log burning stove, etc).

However, as gas appliances can emit carbon monoxide, we would expect and encourage reputable landlords to ensure that working carbon monoxide alarms are installed in rooms with these.

HMG is not generally shy of regulations, so if only a disreputable landlord would consider not having CO alarms, what was the rationale for gas and oil appliances being exempted?

Is there data for the number of deaths caused by safety checked combis / hobs in let accommodation?
    Assume I know nothing.

The Govt is proposing an update on these regulations so that every gas boiler will need a CO alarm.

When the Govt brought in the current regs they were originally saying that gas boilers needed CO alarms. This was watered down because, I believe, modern boilers are sealed and pretty much can't produce CO. I can only assume that they now feel they can tighten up the regs so that all boilers and possibly all sleeping areas, have a CO alarm. Presumably some very old boilers that are never serviced might, under certain circumstances, produce CO!!

Just another example of a layer of bureaucracy we LLs must face up to. The good thing is they are pretty cheap and if they save just 1 life it will be worth it I guess.

Comment

The Scottish Government mandated this in 2014, part of the building standards

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X