Gas safety query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas safety query

We recently moved into a new house, which used to have a gas fire in the lounge but which has at some point (fairly recently) been ripped out. It was already ripped out when I viewed the property, and it looked like work was being done to it - I was told they were blocking it up. When we moved in it was evident that nothing has been done to it - there is a gaping hole where the gas fire used to be, with pipes etc. still there, and it has been covered by a piece of cardboard...!

The gas safety certificate we were issued was made before the gas fire was ripped out. I'm concerned that, seeing as they only seem to have done half a job, this might be unsafe? Are they required to do a new gas safety check now that the fire has been ripped out?

I do not know the answer to this as my properties have no gas supply, my view though is that if the property DOES have any supply to the building (ie you have a gas meter) even if you have no actual appliances i would think a safety check would be needed......... happy to learn from others who have had the gas safety check.

Comment

That's a very good question. As a GSC is only confirmation that all gas appliances at the property have been checked my personal opinion is that it is still valid, as you can't check something that isn't there. Just make sure the pipe is safely capped off.

Comment

Thank you. There are a few pipes, I can’t see that they’ve been capped off... (photo attached). Is it unsafe to use the gas central heating if they haven’t been capped?

Comment

That looks to me like an old back boiler has been removed. It's not very tidy but it looks like the gas has been cut off elsewhere or you would smell it.
          I think you should contact the landlord with your concerns just to put your mind at rest.

Comment

Central heating system will have no affect on a fire place, they are independent, like a gas stove and your heating system will have no affect on each other. I would place a carbon monoxide detector around the area, if it triggers it, I would inform the LL and get an emergency gas engineer out.

If your still around when the renewal of the gas is taking place, I doubt the engineer will be checking the fireplace, they only check the actually appliances, boiler, cooker etc as well as at the point the gas enters the property ie. the Gas Meter, everything before the gas meter is the responsibility of the gas supplier.

Comment

Carbon monoxide detector won't detect gas from an uncapped pipe, gsc should check for leaks.

Comment

Very true, given that some people can '' meddle ' where they should not, i am still of the opinion that if gas is piped to the property a GSC is needed.

Comment

One of two things is required:
                  1. A record of the work done provided by the Gas Safe-registered engineer that did the work (preferable)
                  2. A new GSC that shows the pipework has been checked.
                  If 1. is not available, then it is possible that an offence has been committed by an unregistered person making changes to the gas installation.

2. should confirm that the pipe has been properly capped, and it is not relying on a "tap" being turned off somewhere (that could be turned on accidentally)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X