British Gas boiler cover hike!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Gas boiler cover hike!

Hi, my Landlord boiler cover with British Gas has just jumped from £300 to £356 a year, despite no call outs. Can any landlord recommend another company/service provider that they've actually had experience with?

Many thanks!

i'm with them and price goes up each year, not due to callouts but as they put it the boiler is getting older and therefore most likely going to need to make claim. I've used another company 24/7 homeserve but don't recommend them as they outsource it, while BG is there own people. Over winter it's just piece of mind that i can get someone when the phone rings in the middle of the night from a T. If you know a plumber etc then great but if your like me, and don't then the saving you might make gets wiped away.

The other one you could use is the direct line, not used them for LL insurance but have for car and they have been good.

Comment

Definitely do not go with homeserve, I had them for my own boiler cover and they were hopeless. Missed appointments, shoddy work etc. Which? recommends looking at local gas engineering firms and seeing which ones offer landlord cover. Check local reviews etc. Having said that, I’m with BG for my two properties, just for peace of mind.

Comment

Echo both above cooments and just go on trust pilot before selecting one - (and just look at the bad reviews as no one but their own scammers writes good ones.)
        The trouble with the ones that outsource is the engineers are badly rewarded and incentivised to flog you an overpriced system flush or write of perfectly good boiler as beyond economic repair.
        It's a minefield of cowboys...

Comment

I've taken a few years to convince my LL that a BG boiler service is not a full GSC.

He did eventually accept it and get a full GSC done.

But due to BG price hikes he has now changed to a "cheaper" option with another national company - which is just a boiler service contract so back to square one.

That's his problem if he ever wants to evict, but for those who don't know - a boiler service certificate is not a FULL GSC, it's only a GSC for the boiler not anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
            I've taken a few years to convince my LL that a BG boiler service is not a full GSC.

He did eventually accept it and get a full GSC done.

But due to BG price hikes he has now changed to a "cheaper" option with another national company - which is just a boiler service contract so back to square one.

That's his problem if he ever wants to evict, but for those who don't know - a boiler service certificate is not a FULL GSC, it's only a GSC for the boiler not anything else.
            So a full GSC covers what? Cookers and gas fires too? But if you only have a boiler the GSC is ok ?

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post

So a full GSC covers what? Cookers and gas fires too? But if you only have a boiler the GSC is ok ?
              No if a boiler is the only gas appliance, they will certify this only, which a GSC also includes check at the meter.

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post

So a full GSC covers what? Cookers and gas fires too?
                You pay extra to cover the fires and cooker.

Comment

Yes, In my case there is a gas hob as well as the boiler, so that should be inspected as part of a full GSC - and as said the meter and pipework should also be inspected for a full GSC.

BG used to issue both the LL and myself with a copy of the boiler service report stating that it was a partial GSC for the boiler.
                  Then after I informed the landlord that this was not a full GSC he added the hob so that the GSC issued for that year included the hob as well.

With the new company that came this year I have not had a copy at all, and so I suspect that all he has paid for is a boiler service and not a GSC. (I don't recall the guy looking at the meter and he certainly didn't look at the hob).

Comment

Many thanks for all your replies. I suppose I knew that BG are the best company to use. I've never had a real problem with them in the past, and they seem to know their stuff. Think I'll ring the retention team, moan a bit, and see if I can get a discount! 😁

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X