First ever eicr check today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have something like this on site (we carry these) so the supplier cannot say they do not have one

Hager do a REC isolator which is a better design and build than the others- item VC02SW

The metering company will be able to safely terminate their tails in to this which will allow your electrician to add a new supply cable to where you need.

218556_41.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 1600e View Post

I'm going to get someone else in for sure BUT I can't really move forward with that until the supplier has been (November 5th) and either ok'ed what's there or replaced the isolator and tails to it. The single heavy cable from the isolator to the CU has damage at the CU end so there is no point getting another test done as I now know the CU needs replacing and a new one would need to be removed again to replace that heavy cable to it. I can't get that heavy cable replaced beforehand because this spark won't connect it to the existing isolator as the incoming part of it would be live still.
      the big fuse with the security wire crimped to it could be removed then it would be safe to work on but he's not allowed to do that (his words).
      Caught between a rock and a hard place at the moment.
      The next eicr spark I get will get the work of replacing the heavy cable from (new or old) isolator to the CU, new RCD protected CU and then the eicr test.
      Agreed I would get that cable examined first off, then work from there

All the best

Comment

9 days, still no eicr report...

Comment

The guy you hired sounds similar to the electrician who did some work for me about 4 few years ago. This house had barely had anything done to it since the 70s so needed a lot of work. The electrician was very thorough, but also very slow. He would turn up around 10am, leave by 4pm due to traffic, some days 3pm. He was at the house a number of weeks, at least a month in total. Started mid Dec, and I had the final invoice the following March. I contacted them a few months ago about the EICR, since they had done the electrical work. At that time they said they hadn't yet done the training course, as due to COVID-19 the one they had booked onto got cancelled, I expect they may have now done it. This guy had 20 years experience, was in his 60s I think, somewhat forgetful, kept leaving things at the house like their phone. The electrician I hired for the EICR took a few hours, all satisfactory fortunately.

Comment

Finally received the report.
            I can't figure out how to put it on here and hide personal details, only have a phone, no pc.
            Not a lot of point anyway. No C1's, shed load of C2's most of which will be satisfied with the new cable from the isolator to the CU and new RCD CU.
            Shed load of F1's ( further investigation needed) but (most) of them will be addressed once the supplier changes/or okeys the incoming tails and earth's on November 5th.
            A lot of the C2's were also connected to the tenant using an extension reel to run power to the garage but it wasn't and couldn't be permanently connected so that's a bit wierd.
            Extension lead had RCD built in, plug end.
            The earth's in the house are also an F1 , don't know why that should be and why it wasn't 'investicated' while he was on site?
            Further fleecing/updates to follow....

Comment

It's a FI not an F1 fyi

Move to someone new, if the guy was there two days he had plenty of time to investigate and not record FI's (in my view), how long would it take to investigate all the FI's ?? anyone knows......

Extension lead even if not fitted will be classed as a problem as if sockets on RCD then likely a non RCD will be used for lawnmower, shed power etc.

Re Earth's he was there long enough to remove every plug socket and lights and check all the earth's and correct anything.

I would not allow the electrician to do any further work in my property unless he can provide any reference of a satisfied customer

Chalk this one up to experience and get someone in to sort out or convert the CU.

Will be interested to hear what the DNO says about the supply.

All the best

Comment

1600e,

The use of extensions is not good but would not be a C2 unless there is a significant risk (such as trip hazards where cables go across doors etc, or over heating)

The EICR does NOT cover the tenants items, although it should be noted if something untoward is found (to cover the electricians back)

What do you mean by earths being FI ?
                What earths?

Please detail more.

Please get another electrician

Comment

Comment

Sorry that's the best pic I could take
                    The earth at the stop tap is yellow/green and he could find no trace of it at the CU or meter.
                    somewhere a few posts back I've described it in detail.

Comment

1600e,

That's what happened and what needs further investigation in ref to the inside earth's.

Comment

I've been up to the house and investigated the inside earth at the stop tap.
                        I was a little wrong and will try to explain what's there and if it's ok?
                        The incoming water main is plastic then a bit of copper then earth strap (green and yellow) then stop tap then water meter then copper pipe with the other end of the earth (green/yellow above) clamped to it.
                        I used my meter set to continuancy and have a low resistance reading from both clamps to the nearest pipework which is to the basin in the downstairs toilet which is also where the stop tap is. I cannot see where the pipework goes after the last earth clamp due to boxing in.
                        In the kitchen behind the washing machine I've found the solid green earth which comes out of a stud wall. This is clamped to the cold and hot pipes going to the kitchen sink. The kitchen sink also has an earth to it (stainless steel sink) and is also connected to the hot and cold pipes.
                        Under the bath there is earth's to all copper pipes going to the sink, bath and shower.
                        I have continuancy between all pipes there too.
                        I've got no way of checking easily if the solid green earth in the kitchen is the same solid green earth at the meter but I bet it is.
                        Does it matter where the main earth from the meter is connected inside the house? As long as it's connected to the pipes somewhere and a 'circuit' is made?

Comment

Holy Moly. Of all of the gin joints in all the towns of the world, he walked into yours.
                          When you said he hadn't sent the report after a couple of days, I feared he may have lost it and needed to come back and do it again.....

Comment

I'm not going to quote that (to save space) but after that description I'm not surprised that he took so long and eventually came up with 'needs further investigation'.

TBH I think that I would have reached that conclusion much earlier and he has taken too long and probably lost time/money himself. (Again I suspect a 'newbie' out of depth with something unusual).

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
                              TBH I think that I would have reached that conclusion much earlier and he has taken too long and probably lost time/money himself. (Again I suspect a 'newbie' out of depth with something unusual).
                              Either that or 1600e's property is a very large wreck.

Comment

Update- western power came out and the FI 's were all fine, being the tails to the isolator undersized, spark says should be 25mm live and neutral and 16mm earth, western power says ball cocks, what's there is fine (16mm live/neutral and whatever the earth was)
                                only new builds need 25mm.
                                I'm getting them to fit a new isolator so the (pussy sparky (their words) can work safely.
                                Nowt wrong with the old isolator but I'm losing the will to live.
                                Once that's done I can get the tails from that replaced to the CU and a new CU fitted along with another eicr.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X