First ever eicr check today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First ever eicr check today

So I wasn't sure what to expect tbh but I am not stupid.
    so the guy turns up at 10am as arranged and says it will take all day, just left 5.45pm and needs to come back tomorrow as he hasn't done upstairs yet. 3 bed built 1976 ex council, tutted and moaned all the way through with so much BS which I didn't challenge , I'll wait until the report to see if he writes down what he verbally said to my face.
    The biggest whopper (IMHO) is that the consumer unit , made by British general, should have all British general MCB's and not the MK's that were fitted.
    He wasn't the cheapest quote btw.
    Loads more whoppers like the 6mm t&e isn't adequate for a 7.5kw shower etc etc.
    I was expecting some flannel and work generation as I consider all trades to be dodgey from experience but these buggers have you by the short and curlies...
    Will update tomorrow.

I had 2 adjoining semis done in 4 hours. If you believe he's lying then refuse to pay and get another sparky in. Just curious but how much? I paid £186 for 2 which included two sockets that needed replacing.

Comment

Yikes
      how many circuits are there? That's an awful long time for half an ex council house!

Comment

£200. 6 circuits. Definite verbal fails this far are 1 socket faceplate renewal because the plug is stiff to remove and one other socket, single, that doesn't have a switch and never has but apparently needs to. Not bothered about them to be fair but a bit miffed if he says all the MCB's, quality MK, need replacing for cheaper BG ones. I've looked this up and it's a grey area as most things electrical seem to be, BG or whoever only gaurantee the consumer unit against faults when it's fitted with own brand MCB's etc, I can sort of see why, with a squint that that's ok in a fluffy world but real world ....nah. most of Britain's consumer units would get condemned if that was the case.
        it all just depends on which side of the grey area he's leaning.
        but at least my tenants will feel safe knowing that can switch off the single socket to the fridge now.

Comment

Seems a very very long time, mine 2-3 hrs maximum......

All the best

Comment

Originally posted by 1600e View Post
            The biggest whopper (IMHO) is that the consumer unit , made by British general, should have all British general MCB's and not the MK's that were fitted.
            That is correct. The Consumer unit is only manufactured and tested by British General to work with British General MCBs. Electricians are not meant to mix different manufacturer's MCBs in other manufacturer's consumer units. I know this myself from reading electricians forums and it came up in conversation just a few weeks ago with my own electrician who confirmed it to me. So I know 100% that this is a factually correct statement. Whilst the MK MCBs interchangeably fit on the DIN rail, they are not strictly compliant....as to whether the electrician codes that on the EICR, and how they do that, it is their decision.
            From my calculations, I don't get this. 7500/230 = 32.61A. 6mm twin and earth, if you were to reference using method 100 (because it will be snaking throughout the building wherever) is rated to 34A (see the table further down the page here). I would therefore ask for clarity on this. If you had this originally installed by an electrician, you can tell him this.
            As further evidence (whether it would convince your EICR electrician is another matter) - this mybuilder answer page, answers 2 and 3 has electricians directly saying that you can have a 7.5kw shower on 6mm.

Comment

Let me clarify; I think the issue is that there is a mismatch between components. Let me give an example: you have a BG consumer unit and a BG RCD protecting a selection of circuits, but there is a MK MCB amongst those circuits that the BG RCD is protecting. There is a mismatch between manufacturers and whilst it works, it is not permitted and should only be a temporary solution.
              I hope that this clarifies things.

Regarding the unswitched electrical socket; I have one too and I seem to recall my electrician said it didn't need replacing unless I wanted it to be. This website page says that the regulations state it isn't a requirement to be changed. Nevertheless, as that website page says, each electrician interprets the regulations differently and have different best practise (and 2 electricians can argue accordingly about the same point). Their advice is to have them put into writing the reasons why the extra work is required (thinking about your shower).

Please note that I am not an electrician.

Comment

Originally posted by 1600e View Post

Not a whopper- he is correct, all components in a consumer unit should be type tested match / be approved by the manufacturer. So a MK part in a BG unit is a no-no.
                I would Code 2 that

If it runs through insulation more than 100mm then he may be right.
                See best practise guide on link below, this will give you some information on coding.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...149/bpg4-1.pdf

Comment

I was hoping you would pop in baldelectriction.
                  ok, I stand corrected but not convinced.
                  Bit of an update- he's STILL there!
                  I've just left to go get some lunch and he's scratching his head because he's started getting high resistance readings which were ok yesterday but something's changed, he says.
                  Good job the place is empty because I wouldn't expect a tenant would be happy with no electric on for what's looking like 2 days thus far.
                  update later folks!

Comment

Just left, 2 whole days for gawds sake.
                    i tried to get him to tell me what needs doing but he kept saying wait until my full report which I should get by Sunday(two days time).
                    I badgered him a bit and he's said that all the switches need red sleeving for the switched lives for id purposes and all the roses.
                    I need a WHOLE new consumer unit with an RCD and matching MCB's.
                    Queried this of course and he's said that the existing box doesn't have the room for an RCD and a main switch and the required MCB's.
                    I thought the main switch was replaced by an RCD main switch (same size) and thus the box is ok but he says they both have to be fitted.
                    Is he pulling my pants down?
                    The existing box is metal and looks quite new, I've only had the house around 4 yrs and it was in then but no certificate was available.
                    ​​​​​​​pic of box, far left MCB is a spare.

Comment

You have to decide for yourself.

Is he inflating - or just being as thorough as he should be?

You don't have to use him to do any remidial work you can use a different sparky.

Comment

It has to match the regs for when it was fitted and not be dangerous, the problem is you have a modern CU that does not look like it was done correctly in the first place. That mix of breakers is not correct. You could replace each MCB with a RCBO and a standard main switch that will sort out the CU . But you then need to address the other wiring issues also.

All the best

Comment

Are rcbo's the same width as a standard MCB then. Then the main switch stays as is?

Comment

I cannot see your main switch clearly and if it fits well but a BG 100amp main switch is only cheap anyway. RCBO's are one module wide so same as the width of the MCB's. That's the route I would take but it depends on how much he would charge to change the board and if you have anyone with knowledge who could change the MCB's to RCBO's

Hard to tell from the picture though, you might have multiple circuits in each MCB in which case a new board might be needed anyway.

If I was you I might be inclined to ask another electrician to quote and see what they say

All the best,

Comment

The main switch IS BG as is the box, just MCB's are wylex and one axiom. No multiple circuits to single MCB. There is even a spare MCB (far left). Just googled rcbo's, well expensive!
                              a new box with all the RCD's and MCB's around £60 seems a better option if fitting isn't a rip off of course!
                              Looking at pics of boxes on Screwfix it seems that they come with the main switch and a RCD fitted and it looks like an RCD is twice the width roughly of an MCB so I would have to 'lose' 2 MCB's to fit one in and I've only got one I can lose. Bugger.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X