Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EICR report but apprantley need new fuse board

Hi

Had an electrcian round at my rental property for a EICR report. He informed me i needed a new metal fuse board to comply with the new regs.

When i asked him what does that actually mean he couldn't give me a clear answer.

The original fuse board was a new isntall about 12-15 years ago and is in perfect working order.

He also mentioned that it has no RCD protection but i'm pretty sure all fuse boards have 1 RCD minimum.

Do i actually need a new metal fuseboard or is he just pushing for more buisness?​​​​​​

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Santa View Post
    Hi

Had an electrcian round at my rental property for a EICR report. He informed me i needed a new metal fuse board to comply with the new regs.

When i asked him what does that actually mean he couldn't give me a clear answer.

The original fuse board was a new isntall about 12-15 years ago and is in perfect working order.

He also mentioned that it has no RCD protection but i'm pretty sure all fuse boards have 1 RCD minimum.

Do i actually need a new metal fuseboard or is he just pushing for more buisness?​​​​​​

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Can you post a photo of the consumer unit?

You would have got a certificate when the consumer unit was installed- what does that say?

Comment

Hi Baldelectrician

Thanks for getting back to me.

Just trying to dig out a pic now

Comment

Couldn't find the doc but heres a pic of the unit

Comment

There is an RCD on the right of the unit
          Can you post the ECIR with names, addresses removed?

Comment

Non metal consumer units are C3 not a fail. See page 15 below.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...149/bpg4-1.pdf

If the CU is in an escape route then it is a C2. Which in a two storey property seems a bit extreme. You can have the stairs discharging into the kitchen, if you have window escape from the first floor, but you can’t have a plastic consumer unit!!!

Comment

A metal fuse board is current regulations but you don't have to upgrade to this if your current fuse board is considered safe. Then it is a C3 - recommendation.

Comment

Hi Fire Risk Assessor where do you think it says a plastic is a C2 if it's in an escape route, page 15 says "Presence of a consumer unit or similar switchgear made from combustible material (e.g. plastic) that is not inside a non-combustible enclosure and which is:-Located under wooden staircase, or -within a sole route of escape from the premises (Note: If unsatisfactory connections are found during inspection, this would warrant a code C2 classification to be recorded) " so I read this as C3 unless the CU has unsatisfactory connections in which case it's a C2

All the best

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X