EICR Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EICR Confusion

I’ve had the EICR done on my rental property and also the remedial work, just need to get the certificate and pay the invoice now.
    The guidance on the gov.uk website states :
    • Supply written confirmation of the completion of the remedial works from the electrician to the tenant and the local authority within 28 days of completion of the works.
    surely the tenant knows what has been done and what has it got to do with the local authority? My managing agent is also very confused as they told me that the EICR needs to be done every 5 years which I agree with but also at change of tenancy which I can’t find reference too. I think the whole EICR legislation has been very badly thought out and poorly implemented, I wondered what other landlord thoughts were.

I've just had the same rigmarole. My agent arranged the EICR & remedial work to be done by the same firm. I asked for either a clean EICR or a letter confirming that the installation now met the requirements. Neither was forthcoming, despite several requests.

Agent has now been sacked, and another agent is completing another EICR. Hey ho.

Comment

The contractor should give you an EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate) for the works, or a minor electrical works cert if the job was only altering a circuit.
      You should get a BS 5839 Pt6 cert for any smoke alarms.

You should contact the contractor in the first instance requesting certification and suggest you will take it up with their governing body if paperwork does not arrive.

Comment

I asked elsewhere but haven't had a response yet to my question about what to do if I had a rewire in a property and was issued a BS 7671 Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate for the property. Is this DEIC the equivalent of an EICR or do I need to get the latter done now?

Comment

If you had a new consumer unit with your rewire then the electrician should have tested all the circuits. My understanding in this situation is that you won't need an EICR for 5 yrs.

On another note, Rushw, it used to be considered good practice to have an electrical check between tenants but I believe by law all you need is a visual inspection between tenants and an EICR every 5 yrs.

Comment

If you have a rewire and given a installation cert, you should also be given a eicr, if you have a eicr and have a repair for a unsatisfactory eicr within 28days you should have a installation cert for any work done to being it up to satisfactory level.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies so far but they haven’t really answered my question. I’ve based my understanding on the poorly written gov.uk guidance. https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-rented-sector

jpucng62, it may have previously been good practice to have an electrical check between tenants but I’m only really interested in my statutory obligation. My point in the original post was that the managing agent seems to want to enforce a check after every tenant change and I’m only happy at the moment to do it every 5 years as the law says. Like I also said, it has been poorly thought out and badly implemented as electrical fires could still happen through faulty tenant appliances and improper use of and overloading of extension leads. Again, the law is all about protecting the tenant, but what if the tenant were to cause a fire that badly damaged my property? I’m sure it would be down to the insurance that I paid for to cover the damage caused.

I will be getting a copy of the certificate soon but don’t think it mentions the new fuse box that I had fitted, should this be recorded separately on an EIC?

Comment

Originally posted by jase222 View Post
                If you have a rewire and given a installation cert, you should also be given a eicr, if you have a eicr and have a repair for a unsatisfactory eicr within 28days you should have a installation cert for any work done to being it up to satisfactory level.
                cheers. Yeah, closer inspection reveals that it is an EICR but the format they've used has a slightly different heading.

Another query though, I see one of my properties had an EICR in 2019 but the electrician is making work for himself. Despite not having any remedial issues and it all being "satisfactory" it says I have to do another one in "1 year" the reason being "household is a tenancey let proprty [sic] and is subject to frequent occupier change". Only had one tenant in there in that time and this does not seem like a reasonable reason to mandate a further test seeing as the govt allows for 5 years between tests for landlords.

What should I do? The current cert will technically not be valid because of this recommendation although the grounds for it are false!

Comment

Originally posted by tatemono View Post
                  What should I do? The current cert will technically not be valid because of this recommendation although the grounds for it are false!
                  This is a recommendation only and i would be sticking to the guidance from the relevant authorities

Comment

Originally posted by jase222 View Post
                    The first part is factually incorrect

EIC - Electrical Installation Certificate- this is given for works involving more than altering circuit. You would get an EIC for a rewire as it is a certificate stating compliance with BS 7671 .

An EICR is a report on an EXISTING INSTALLATION, not a new one.

The second part is partially correct.
                    After an unsatisfactory EICR you should get certification for any remedial works but that could be a minor works certificate (for replacing sockets / light switches etc)- yes you need to certify small jobs.

The best way to remember it is an EICR is like an MOT- it is a test of an existing install (the last letter is R = report)

An EIC (electrical installation certificate) or a MWC (minor electrical works certificate) is a certificate for works done (the last letter is C = certificate)

Comment

Ruswh,

Yes you need it done before a new lease is granted if you haven't previously had one otherwise 5 years.
                      No you don't need to notify local authority unless HMO or selectively licensed.

Comment

Originally posted by darkstar View Post

This is a recommendation only and i would be sticking to the guidance from the relevant authorities
                        er... I thought the guidance from the relevant authorities was something like this from Shelter:

"The report also states when the next electrical safety check is due. Checks must be carried out at least every 5 years, or sooner if the report says so."

In this case, it seems I'm stuck with doing it after a year for no good reason. ANyone know the legal wording on this?

Comment

what competent person scheme is your electrician a member of?

Comment

It is good practice to check the electrical installations visually between every tenant change. This is not to my knowledge mandatory, but I check all my properties on a yearly basis anyway, incl visually checking sockets, and testing smoke alarms etc. Otherwise if you have not changed tenant the 5 year EIC is sufficient and mandatory.

I would not be happy checking less than once per year for obvious reasons and I think your agent is being conscientious and doing what you are paying him for.

Comment

Originally posted by darkstar View Post
                              what competent person scheme is your electrician a member of?
                              not my electrician, my ex-agent's electrician. No idea what schemes they are part of.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X