Dating of gas certificates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dating of gas certificates

We all know of the nightmare both tenants hand landlords have scheduling gas engineers for servicing (now more than ever).

I thought it was made somewhat easier by the MOT style dating allowed by parliament in 2018 - or at least I thought allowed - where certificate end-date is carried forward to the end of the last certificate + 1 year if done with x number of weeks.

However engineer today refused to so do. So I started reading and could not figure out whether the law had in fact been drafted, and not passed by parliament. Is this the law?
    If not it is yet another example of parliament failing to act to ease the lives of tenants and landlords (and to save tenants wasting more money).

Here https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/l56.htm

and when they say "retain the date" does this mean something the engineer is supposed to do on the certificate (which would make sense).

Mine is being done this Monday which is about a week and a half before the current certificate expires, the company doing the check have told me the expiry on the new certificate will be dated +1 year from the expiry of the current certificate (because I asked the question when booking the appointment).
    There is no tenants in the property at the moment so I will be there to remind the engineer to date it correctly but i do wonder what will happen in future when tenants deal with the engineer without me there to remind the engineer and show him the current certificate expiry date, i suspect it will just get dated a year on from the date they issue the certificate.

Comment

I understand and agree with what you are saying. But this is not really about tenant safety, it is about housing lawyers and councils abusing the well-intentioned spirit of the law for their own purposes.

It comes down to the landlord to prove it if it comes on top (God help them!).

By coincidence, I've received 3 certificates today, written on 3 different forms, in 3 different areas of the country, carried out by 3 different reputable gas safe qualified engineers, the dates as follows;

1. NEXT GAS SAFETY CHECK DUE WITHIN 12 MONTHS
      2. ATTENTION Next safety check due 7/7/21
      3. ATTENTION Next gas safety check must be completed by 8/9/20 *

*Thanks for bringing this up, I wouldn't have bothered checking it otherwise.

Comment

It's a statutory instrutment, so didn't need to be passed by parliament.
        These Regulations may be cited as the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) (Amendment) Regulations 2018 and come into force on 6th April 2018.
        Where a safety check of an appliance or a flue made in accordance with regulation 36(3)(a) or (b) is or was completed within the period of 2 months ending with the deadline date, that check is to be treated for the purposes of regulation 36(3)(a) and (b) as having been made on the deadline date.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted.E.Bear View Post
          It's a statutory instrutment, so didn't need to be passed by parliament.
          Many thanks. If that is all they did, they did not finish the job. With vehicle MOTs it is clear that the garage/system can give the appropriate date.

Are gas engineers even allowed to write the next test date on the form according to the legislation?
          "Treated for the purposes" means nothing if the form says something different.

Comment

Thought this was for housing associations, not individual landlords.

Comment

There is a programmer (RWB 1007) which beeps and lets the tenant know when the heating needs serviced.
              It also stops the timer on the heating but lets the tenant press a one hour boost button to bring the heating on.

Comment

wrong thread maybe baldelectrician ?

Here's the legislation change in writing: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/6/made

Having done this with a few properties now, I'm wondering about clause 3a as that seems to imply you can only do this once. If it means once per certificate, that seems redundant to me. Anyone clarify exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Fire Risk Assessor View Post
                  Thought this was for housing associations, not individual landlords.
                  the legislation I've linked to specifically comes after the heading Duties of Landlords

Comment

Originally posted by tatemono View Post
                    wrong thread maybe baldelectrician ?

Here's the legislation change in writing: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/6/made

Having done this with a few properties now, I'm wondering about clause 3a as that seems to imply you can only do this once. If it means once per certificate, that seems redundant to me. Anyone clarify exactly?
                    I mentioned it as a side issue

Many landlords have problems with tenants letting gas engineers in to service boilers.

This programmer stops the timer working and only allows the heating via a boost facility (the tenant still has heating), this makes it easier for landlords to have the heating serviced as tenants are 'encouraged' to have the service done.

Comment

Ah, I see. But does this not interfere with "quiet enjoyment" by effectively making an essential service (heating) less efficient for the tenant? Sounds like retribution. Forcing a tenant to get out of bed to turn on the heating on a freezing winter night so that their children can sleep isn't something I'd want to test in court... although I do get that they should just let the engineer have access in the first place.

Comment

Ah, I see. But does this not interfere with "quiet enjoyment" by effectively making an essential service (heating) less efficient for the tenant? Sounds like retribution. Forcing a tenant to get out of bed to turn on the heating on a freezing winter night so that their children can sleep isn't something I'd want to test in court... although I do get that they should just let the engineer have access in the first place.
                        GHA (Glasgow Housing Assoc) use these.
                        The heating is still as efficient an works

The programmer gives a series of warnings for a few weeks prior to the thing going in to limited mode- I think it can be set to warn up to 40 days ahead.

Comment

That's referring to paragraph 2, which allows you to have the check done up to two months late, but only if there is another appliance in the same premises which has a different date and you want to do them on the same date in future.

Comment

thanks for that.

Comment

I've managed to have mine dated based on the expiry of the previous one (like an mot) however the issuing system meant I had to have one on the date of the test and then a second cert on the actual expiry of the previous cert (something to do with the system not being able to forward date certs)

I just quoted the HSE publications to get them to do this.

All the best Stew.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Eicr
                                by tatemono
                                inspection or inventory on checkout done properly will catch light switches going from plastic to metal. Of course, you've then got to know as a LL that this could be a compromise if lighting circuits are not earthed.

Testing sockets and lights seems to be wise as it's not hard for a socket...
                                24-09-2020, 09:07 AM
                              • Eicr
                                by zrux
                                Hence forth with the new rules around EICR, is a new EICR needed every time new tenants moves the property now even though the current one is valid for say next 4 more years?

My electrician tells me a new EICR needs to be done for every new tenant moving into the property ..hence the q...
                                17-09-2020, 16:51 PM
                              • The new EICR regulations
                                by jtufty
                                Morning all,

Im just reading through the new regulations. It reads:

======
                                Key dates / when the regulation will apply
                                Apply to all new tenancies in England from 1st July 2020
                                Apply to all existing tenancies in England from 1st April 2021
                                ======
                                21-06-2020, 05:52 AM
                              • Reply to The new EICR regulations
                                by SimonH
                                No he doesn't.
                                There is **guidance** that **recommends** an inspection on change of tenancy, in most cases this need be nothing more than a good look round to check for obvious things like broken sockets or evidence of DIY by the outgoing tenant. Prior to the The Electrical Safety Standards in...
                                24-09-2020, 08:55 AM
                              • Reply to Another EICR question
                                by tatemono
                                could the OP not ask the electrician to do an EICR instead of the EIC or is the EIC mandatory when installing stuff?
                                24-09-2020, 08:28 AM
                              • Another EICR question
                                by Chester Perry
                                Property has no current EICR and is having an electrician in to carry out the below work:

Supply and install new consumer unit with rcbo,s to each circuit
                                Up grade existing main tails and earth to SSC main fuse
                                Upgrade earths to main gas and water
                                Supply and install extractor...
                                21-09-2020, 13:00 PM
                              • Reply to EIRC C2 codes
                                by SimonH
                                That's a lot neater than many installations !
                                The "silver boxes" above the meters will be switch-fuses. The cable from those to the CU in the flat may or may not need to be RCD protected - it depends on the type of cable and where/how it's installed. So you have a picture of the cables...
                                24-09-2020, 08:22 AM
                              • EIRC C2 codes
                                by asus1987
                                Another leaseholder in our building, Has just had a eirc done which seems to have failed, mine is not due yet ( luckily) so after some advice,

Set up - in the basement there is a cupboard with sliding doors to the eletric meters, The cables go up to the silves boxes, each with a 100amp...
                                02-09-2020, 20:50 PM
                              • Reply to EICR - consumer unit placing
                                by flyingfreehold
                                It was, bizarrely about 10 ft above floor level, a very high ceilinged apartment in a grand period property
                                23-09-2020, 20:12 PM
                              • EICR - consumer unit placing
                                by Redmanna
                                Guys
                                I'm new to this
                                I bought my ex out of a commercial property that we owned last year , it was our own business , a hairdressers. About 10 years ago we turned the upstairs into a flat whilst the downstairs remained a shop.
                                The property is registered with the land registry as a single...
                                21-09-2020, 15:17 PM
                              Working...
                              X