Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tatemono
    replied
    posting on this thread because it's a related question: is a Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate the same as an EICR? I have DEICs for properties that were rewired prior to a couple of (now statutory periodic) tenancies. Do I also have to get an EICR before April next year as well?

Leave a comment:

• deereay33
    replied
    The tenants have just signed a years contract in May so it will become periodic May next year.

Leave a comment:

• flyingfreehold
    replied
    The answer may depend on when the tenancy was created, and whether it is contractual or has fairly recently become periodic; because by changing status to periodic by some craziness only Whitehall could dream up it becomes a "new" tenancy (although its clearly anything but, and because a new tenancy and the need for an EICR is triggered. We at my company are flat out in having these done. We have written to commercial tenants who have shops with flats and told them they must obtain for the resi element both an EPC with a score of E or better and electrical safety certificate and in a few cases been totally ignored. I'd like to see the worst offenders prosecuted. Does anyone know of a prosecution for EPC non compliance; I suppose with EICR there will be a grace period before any enforcement action. I'd like to think that where some landlords don't bother making any effort they will be reprimanded and penalised.

Leave a comment:

• deereay33
    started a topic New fuse box - do i also need EICR report

New fuse box - do i also need EICR report

I had an issue with the fuse box at my rental property last week and the tenants could not get hold of me so rang an emergency electrician who charged me £180 as the main switch had blown. He has now recommended i get a new fuse box and has quoted about £400 for a new fuse box and £130 for an EICR report. I have got a few more quotes and am now really confused. Two of the electricians say I do need EICR report as well as new fuse box but 2 other electricians have told me I don't need EICR report as well as new fuse box. Which ones are correct? I am aware there are new regulations I must meet for safety by April 2021.

I detail the answer of one of the electicians below who says I do not also need an EICR report. For info, my tenants are already living in the house and will be there, I hope for next few years:

If the fuse board is changed an electrical installation certificate will be produced along with a part p building regulation certificate which is issued by the local authority.

The electrical installation certificate is the first certificate for an installation. The EICR is then the safety check that is done when the electrical installation certificate runs out.

So to answer your question, no you don't have to do an EICR because you would have the electrical installation certificate. This lasts 5 years. Then you would require an EICR.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Eicr
    by zrux
    Hence forth with the new rules around EICR, is a new EICR needed every time new tenants moves the property now even though the current one is valid for say next 4 more years?

My electrician tells me a new EICR needs to be done for every new tenant moving into the property ..hence the q...
    17-09-2020, 16:51 PM
  • Reply to Eicr
    by baldelectrician
    I also put serial numbered seals on the consumer units which state the EICR is valid for 5 years and is only valid if the seal is present and intact.

I have had several instances of landlords / tenants messing about with the consumer units.

Remember I put the info as advice-...
    24-09-2020, 14:18 PM
  • Reply to Eicr
    by SimonH
    It is not your call to make, it is the property owner's call. It makes no difference to you or any liability to you. Regardless of what you put on the certificate, the tenant could be fiddling with stuff while you are still putting your tools back in the van, what happens months or years down the line...
    24-09-2020, 13:28 PM
  • Reply to EICR- when's the deadline
    by SimonH
    True, the tenancy doesn't actually change to an AT, but if you do not comply with certain requirements, then the practical effect is the same in that you lose the ability to use a S21 notice - permanently in some cases. There isn't a lot of difference between an AST without S21 and an AT.
    24-09-2020, 13:14 PM
  • EICR- when's the deadline
    by Wumingshi1
    Hello,
    I signed a renewal tenancy agreement with my tenant in Jan 2020 and I am planning to let it run as a periodic tenancy when the fix terms run out in Jan. 2021.
    in this case, when is the deadline for getting the EICR done?
    My understanding is April 2021 but just want to double...
    18-09-2020, 08:43 AM
  • Reply to EICR- when's the deadline
    by jpkeates
    None of this is correct.
    Some of it used to be correct, but it is no longer the case.

A new statutory periodic tenancy does not require a deposit to be protected again - it may require an update to the protection if an insured scheme is being used.
    It doesn't need to be reprotected...
    24-09-2020, 10:17 AM
  • Reply to Fire escape staircase
    by SimonH
    I didn't say "put one on", I said "threaten to put one on" ;-) Just starting a dispute would mean executors having to declare it on their TA6 when they come to sell - or commit fraud. Should the property go on the market and it's not resolved, then a quick word with the estate agent...
    24-09-2020, 10:15 AM
  • Fire escape staircase
    by Bop
    I have a flat that is above a shop. The building is semi-detached, so there are two shops with one flat above each shop. The flats are accessed via a metal staircase at the rear of the building. The staircase has fallen into disrepair and one of the treads has actually fallen away. The legal documents...
    15-09-2020, 10:31 AM
  • EICR - need to send a remedial work confirmation to local authority?
    by Wumingshi1
    Hello,
    on the governments website, it says that
    • Supply written confirmation of the completion of the remedial works from the electrician to the tenant and the local authority within 28 days of completion of the works.
    My understand is that we only have to provide a copy of the report and evidence...
    18-09-2020, 10:09 AM
  • Reply to EICR - need to send a remedial work confirmation to local authority?
    by SimonH
    Indeed, but it looks like the rules for the EICR and confirmation of remedial works being done are different. For remedial works, you're required to send the documentation without being asked. What the LA actually does with them is anyone's guess - I imagine toss them in a filing cabinet (in a disused...
    24-09-2020, 09:37 AM
Working...
X