New fuse box - do i also need EICR report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New fuse box - do i also need EICR report

I had an issue with the fuse box at my rental property last week and the tenants could not get hold of me so rang an emergency electrician who charged me £180 as the main switch had blown. He has now recommended i get a new fuse box and has quoted about £400 for a new fuse box and £130 for an EICR report. I have got a few more quotes and am now really confused. Two of the electricians say I do need EICR report as well as new fuse box but 2 other electricians have told me I don't need EICR report as well as new fuse box. Which ones are correct? I am aware there are new regulations I must meet for safety by April 2021.

I detail the answer of one of the electicians below who says I do not also need an EICR report. For info, my tenants are already living in the house and will be there, I hope for next few years:

If the fuse board is changed an electrical installation certificate will be produced along with a part p building regulation certificate which is issued by the local authority.

The electrical installation certificate is the first certificate for an installation. The EICR is then the safety check that is done when the electrical installation certificate runs out.

So to answer your question, no you don't have to do an EICR because you would have the electrical installation certificate. This lasts 5 years. Then you would require an EICR.

The answer may depend on when the tenancy was created, and whether it is contractual or has fairly recently become periodic; because by changing status to periodic by some craziness only Whitehall could dream up it becomes a "new" tenancy (although its clearly anything but, and because a new tenancy and the need for an EICR is triggered. We at my company are flat out in having these done. We have written to commercial tenants who have shops with flats and told them they must obtain for the resi element both an EPC with a score of E or better and electrical safety certificate and in a few cases been totally ignored. I'd like to see the worst offenders prosecuted. Does anyone know of a prosecution for EPC non compliance; I suppose with EICR there will be a grace period before any enforcement action. I'd like to think that where some landlords don't bother making any effort they will be reprimanded and penalised.

Comment

The tenants have just signed a years contract in May so it will become periodic May next year.

Comment

posting on this thread because it's a related question: is a Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate the same as an EICR? I have DEICs for properties that were rewired prior to a couple of (now statutory periodic) tenancies. Do I also have to get an EICR before April next year as well?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X