X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPT57
    replied
    Originally posted by dazwalsh View Post
    Hang on I had in my mind July 1st? With existing tenancies started before then requiring one before next April.

​​​
    I'm afraid that's down to the quality of legal drafting and Govt guidance at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• dazwalsh
    replied
    Hang on I had in my mind July 1st? With existing tenancies started before then requiring one before next April.

​​​

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    I think that 1 June is what the regulations have always said, but its Govt guidance that has been getting it wrong. See here: https://nearlylegal.co.uk/2020/06/th...-safety-dance/

I would just get one done as soon as is practicable. I doubt the enforcement agencies will take any action in the circumstances and being in breach doesnt invalidate a s21 notice.

Leave a comment:

• lavy
    replied
    Now Concerned as had a tenancy start in June, thought had a year to get a certificate done. So as of next week I may be non compliant ?. Why cant they make all this clear to avoid this happening ?

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    The answer to the first is that no one is sure, because the legislation isn't clear.

The answer to the second is, probably, that it depends on how the electrician prioritises the issue.
    It doesn't meet the current spec, but is safe, so it should be noted as C3 which is not compliant but no action is required and should therefore pass.

Leave a comment:

• lavy
    started a topic Electrical certificate

Electrical certificate

Hi Just read there has been an amendment stating tenancy starting from 1st June need a electrical certificate and not 1st July as previousy stated can anyone give any clarity on this and also if plastic fuse boxes are permitted

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Getting shafted - EICR
    by tatemono
    Eh?

What else is a landlord in England supposed to do apart from install decent alarms, make sure they're working on check in, tell the tenant to check them weekly and then check them each time they do an inspection?

Are you suggesting we pop round to each property weekly...
    21-09-2020, 11:25 AM
  • Getting shafted - EICR
    by Extremely Stressed
    Evening all

I will keep it brief but really need some advice.

Paid for a EICR from Open Rent. Electrician came out on behalf of said company. Was there for 20 minutes. Said it had passed and had one C3, which was for no RCD protection. Said to call his boss to get the certificate....
    17-09-2020, 21:17 PM
    by baldelectrician
    I understand but you need (as a landlord) to keep your ducks in a row.

You should be writing to the tenant (signed for) to formally request access to the property for safety checks, then if something untoward happens you can show you have made reasonable attempts (this could save you from...
    21-09-2020, 10:19 AM
    by baldelectrician
    if there is no gas check do what my local council does- go and cap the gas off (after letting them know you will do so if they fail to give access)

You can also get timers which stop the timer working if the boiler is not serviced within a defined period (up to 400 days)

See...
    21-09-2020, 10:13 AM
    by flyingfreehold
    We are perfectly prepared to comply with statute but its precisely those properties that need most work where tenants - typically elderly - are at present declining requests for access; either for gas safety checks or for interim electrical safety assessment....
    21-09-2020, 09:59 AM
    by baldelectrician
    In Scotland is is the landlords responsibility, this is in the landlord rules

From your point of view ( if you are a landlord), why rely on the tenant to ensure these things work?

They save lives and protect a property....
    20-09-2020, 09:55 AM
  • Reply to EICR- when's the deadline
    by tatemono
    Just in case anyone's in danger of confusing different things here, Hollywood has correctly raised the important issue of what happens to tenancies that roll into SPTs between July this year and April the next which do not already have EICRs. In this case, which the OP meets, an EICR will have to be...
    20-09-2020, 08:51 AM
  • EICR- when's the deadline
    by Wumingshi1
    Hello,
    I signed a renewal tenancy agreement with my tenant in Jan 2020 and I am planning to let it run as a periodic tenancy when the fix terms run out in Jan. 2021.
    in this case, when is the deadline for getting the EICR done?
    My understanding is April 2021 but just want to double...
    18-09-2020, 08:43 AM
    by tatemono
    er... is it? If you fit working detectors and they're checked on moving in and at regular inspections, the AST says that it's the tenant's responsibility to make sure that they're working in between.

Even the Aico interlinked I've got aren't impervious to failure....
    20-09-2020, 07:11 AM
  • Eicr
    by zrux
    Hence forth with the new rules around EICR, is a new EICR needed every time new tenants moves the property now even though the current one is valid for say next 4 more years?

My electrician tells me a new EICR needs to be done for every new tenant moving into the property ..hence the q...
    17-09-2020, 16:51 PM
Working...
X