Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020

Morning Chaps

What are your thoughts on the below...

Flat 1 - Tenants moved in Feb 20. Electrical installation Condition report in Jan 20. Passed
    Flat 2 - Tenants moved in Oct 19. Electrical installation Condition report in Sep 19. Failed on the below

1 4.9 No rcd protection C3 Consumer unit
    2 4.11 a)No circuit chart C3 Consumer unit
    3 4.11 b)No labels C3 Consumer unit
    4 4.17No rcd protection C2 Consumer unit
    5 5.11 a)No rcd protection C3 Sockets
    6 5.11 c)No rcd protection C3 Walls
    7 5.11 d)No rcd protection C3 Walls
    8 5.11 e)No rcd protection C3 Lighting
    9 5.17No ring continuity to the sockets C2 Kitchen
    10 6.3 a)No labels C3 Consumer unit
    11 8.1 a)No rcd protection C2 Bathroom
    12 8.1 b)No rcd protection C3 Bathroom
    13 8.4 No supplementary bonding C2 Bathroom
    14 Hallway smoke alarm out of date C3 Hallway

Remedial work quoted & authorised. Done Sep 19

To install a new fire rated RCD protected consumer unit/ test all circuits for safety. Code C2 £485.00
    To re-connect all sockets /Lights/switches to eliminate potential fire hazards. Code C2 £165.00
    To replace the smoke alarm to the hallway which is outside the Bedrooms. Code C3 £65.00

Was issued a Compliance Certificate for a replacement consumer unit in Oct 19.

Now Agent has informed me that the new regs will require a new report.

======
    Key dates / when the regulation will apply
    Apply to all new tenancies in England from 1st July 2020
    Apply to all existing tenancies in England from 1st April 2021
    ======

Question : Will I need a new report? Or when existing tenancy renewal in Oct 20 & Jan21?

Please don't misunderstand me, I fully support these regulations and ensure my properties are safe for my tenants. However I feel that the Electrical company seem to be taking this opportunity to create business and redo all the reports. They have quoted £210 (for up to 6 circuits). I'm thinking it's not worth all this hassle arguing for £210 (X2) however flats don't get much rent so % wise this is a large amount.

When I have queried this with the agent, they have simply stated that they have been told its a new regulation and that all circuits in the CU have to be tested. Reading the government link below it doesn't state that new circuits needs to be stated but I assume its the interpretation of the Electricians. There are also mentions of this regulation needs to comply with the latest 18th Edition.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2020/9780111191934

NAPIT Link below - interesting questions below
    * Does my electrical installation need to comply with the 18th edition of the Wiring Regulations?
    * If my property already has a satisfactory Electrical Installation Safety Report which is less than 5 years old, do I
    have to get another one done to the 18th edition of the Wiring Regulations Standard?

https://www.napit.org.uk/downloads/E...ords-NAPIT.pdf

Surely you just pass on costs to consumers? That is the way all other transactions operate.

Sadly a lot of the legislation has nothing to do with the interests of tenants or ensuring that [your] "properties are safe for my tenants". The number of cases of tenant electrocution is approaching zero, and the number prevented by this legislation even closer to zero. But the price to be paid will be high, and as you suggest there are plenty of middlemen who take advantage of tenants and landlords.

Your agent is probably taking a kickback too (obviously indirectly from the tenants). Suggest you arrange these things yourself.

Comment

Pass on to consumer? I'm the landlord and am happy to get works done, are you suggesting to pass the cost on to the tenants?

It's interesting your point on kickbacks. I know the agent gets £45 for each report. I have a quote from the Electrical company last year for the EICR.

From what I understand from the new regulations, I will need to get a report when the tenancy are renewal. I think this makes sense as it captures new tenancies and ensure the new regulations are implemented.

Just wanted to see if my understanding is correct

Comment

Originally posted by Callmedude View Post
        Pass on to consumer?
        They pay higher rent eventually (or their successors do). How else do you think it happens?

Comment

Just wondering if anyone else have any thoughts on the new regulations?

Comment

As per usual this legislation is not thought through

We have a similar thing in Scotland, the difference is that a satisfactory EICR is required- not that the install should be compliant with the 18th Edition

We carry out EICR's for a main part of our business.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Another EICR question
              by Chester Perry
              Property has no current EICR and is having an electrician in to carry out the below work:

Supply and install new consumer unit with rcbo,s to each circuit
              Up grade existing main tails and earth to SSC main fuse
              Upgrade earths to main gas and water
              Supply and install extractor...
              21-09-2020, 13:00 PM
            • Getting shafted - EICR
              by Extremely Stressed
              Evening all

I will keep it brief but really need some advice.

Paid for a EICR from Open Rent. Electrician came out on behalf of said company. Was there for 20 minutes. Said it had passed and had one C3, which was for no RCD protection. Said to call his boss to get the certificate....
              17-09-2020, 21:17 PM
            • Reply to Getting shafted - EICR
              by tatemono
              Eh?

What else is a landlord in England supposed to do apart from install decent alarms, make sure they're working on check in, tell the tenant to check them weekly and then check them each time they do an inspection?

Are you suggesting we pop round to each property weekly...
              21-09-2020, 11:25 AM
              by baldelectrician
              I understand but you need (as a landlord) to keep your ducks in a row.

You should be writing to the tenant (signed for) to formally request access to the property for safety checks, then if something untoward happens you can show you have made reasonable attempts (this could save you from...
              21-09-2020, 10:19 AM
              by baldelectrician
              if there is no gas check do what my local council does- go and cap the gas off (after letting them know you will do so if they fail to give access)

You can also get timers which stop the timer working if the boiler is not serviced within a defined period (up to 400 days)

See...
              21-09-2020, 10:13 AM
              by flyingfreehold
              We are perfectly prepared to comply with statute but its precisely those properties that need most work where tenants - typically elderly - are at present declining requests for access; either for gas safety checks or for interim electrical safety assessment....
              21-09-2020, 09:59 AM
              by baldelectrician
              In Scotland is is the landlords responsibility, this is in the landlord rules

From your point of view ( if you are a landlord), why rely on the tenant to ensure these things work?

They save lives and protect a property....
              20-09-2020, 09:55 AM
            • Reply to EICR- when's the deadline
              by tatemono
              Just in case anyone's in danger of confusing different things here, Hollywood has correctly raised the important issue of what happens to tenancies that roll into SPTs between July this year and April the next which do not already have EICRs. In this case, which the OP meets, an EICR will have to be...
              20-09-2020, 08:51 AM
            • EICR- when's the deadline
              by Wumingshi1
              Hello,
              I signed a renewal tenancy agreement with my tenant in Jan 2020 and I am planning to let it run as a periodic tenancy when the fix terms run out in Jan. 2021.
              in this case, when is the deadline for getting the EICR done?
              My understanding is April 2021 but just want to double...
              18-09-2020, 08:43 AM
              by tatemono
              er... is it? If you fit working detectors and they're checked on moving in and at regular inspections, the AST says that it's the tenant's responsibility to make sure that they're working in between.

Even the Aico interlinked I've got aren't impervious to failure....
              20-09-2020, 07:11 AM
            Working...
            X