Electrical safety inspection and report - Remedial costs

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I would recommend replacing the older Wylex one anyway

    I use Hager because they are good
    I am fairly certain the new Hager RCBO's will fit that unit.
    Try searching ADA332G for the catalouge number, they are less than £30 each including VAT

    You could email Hager the photo of the unit and ask if the new RCBO's will fit technical@hager.co.uk

    The guy that inspected used a 'domestic installer' sticker, there are 2 levels of electrical firm in England / Wales- Approved Contractor (full scope) and Domestic Installer (part scope)

    Many (not all) domestic installers are NOT apprentice trained - a few weeks at college and on to the job (unsupervised)

    Have a look at the competent persons website



      Which unit would recommend to replace the Wylex in Flat 1?

      Is the Hager unit in Flat 2 need to be replaced?

      Thank you for any info


        I'm having mine done tomorrow, 2 bed property, old fuse box and earthed to the water main. To put in a new compliant unit, earth rod and to earth gas and water £320. This is the North West so will be cheaper but not by that much.


          I'm not an electrician but have done the C&G inspect and test course. Neither of the boards probably 'need' replacing, but MCBs/RCDs or RCBO's would make things much safer.

          If they were mine, normally I would go for replace the Wylex board and swap out for RCBO's in the Hager, as per recommended by Bald Electrician.

          The only problem might be if the new legislation coming in England remains a balls up, so it might be better to actually swap out the Hager board for a new metal one. A fully loaded split rcd board will probably be cheaper than RCBO's and it would prevent further trouble with domestic installers further down the road.


            Board wise loaded MK sentries are quite cheap, and the knockouts work well.


              Originally posted by andybenw View Post
              Board wise loaded MK sentries are quite cheap, and the knockouts work well.
              They are cheap for 2 reasons
              1. MK no longer make consumer units (December last year)
              2. MK used to be quite good (I installed them for years), they are now pants poor (in my personal opinion)
              3. Spares will no longer be available


                I have had two more electricians visit one of the flats (Property No 2) and he says the first electrician was over quoting what had to be done to pass it, that an RCBO was not needed or a new unit. Saying that he could upgrade the unit with an RCD, change the fuses etc and get the two other smaller jobs done with a certificate for £850. vs what the first electrician quoted at 1,320 + 250 (the powerpoint to the power shower wasn't powerful enough apparently) = £1,570. So that's almost half the price.

                Also, the report the first electrician did, wrote the wrong address for each report, ie. he mixed them up. Doesn't that invalidate them?

                Waiting for the third electrician to visit and come back with their quote.


                  Third electrician had this to say about the report done by the first electrician:

                  The one you had done, had these following issues:

                  Addresses filled in incorrect boxes. Client/Site.
                  Limitations not observed or noted.
                  Observations limited to ONLY the consumer unit.
                  No extent of sampling identified. 100%?
                  No comment on earthing & bonding.
                  Supply polarity not tested.
                  No listing of main switch BS No. Rating.
                  Check box for generating sets or secondary supplies ticked despite no PV array.
                  Schedule of items inspected does not at all reflect to the installation I inspected briefly.
                  Circuits not adequately detailed or labelled.
                  No R1+R2 tests done.
                  No insulation resistance tests.

                  *this list is not all that is missing from the prior EICR.

                  So we've paid for a pretty much a worthless and invalid report.


                    Where are you finding your electricians?


                      Originally posted by Mrs Mug View Post
                      Where are you finding your electricians?
                      Checkatrade and NIC EIC website


                        Originally posted by Diversity View Post

                        Checkatrade and NIC EIC website
                        I personally do not recommend these Check Trade, My Builder, My Hammer types of sites as they have no technical back up

                        NICEIC and SELECT have guarantee on works where the other 'rating' sites just say buyer beware- not our problem


                          I'm planning to go with NAPIT listed people as NAPIT guidance is helpful for landlords.


                            Do you mean that the NICEIC guarantees the works it's registered members undertake? Do you have a link?




                                Ok, thanks


                                Latest Activity


                                • Reply to Electrical Work and EICR
                                  by Neelix
                                  My advice to you is not to use the management companies sparks

                                  a flat would be between £120 and £150 but remember that’s just to inspect and test, if you get C1 or C2 codes then remedial costs would be on top

                                  as for your quotes - £100 for a fan replacement is probably...
                                  13-06-2021, 19:47 PM
                                • Electrical Work and EICR
                                  by popotla
                                  I own a small flat in the East Midlands (rented out) and am told by the management company that electrical work needs doing.

                                  I was given an estimate and then asked for another. Between the two estimates, the costs, as regards four items, vary hugely. A new fan, for example would cost either...
                                  13-06-2021, 17:55 PM
                                • Consumer unit
                                  by billl
                                  Hi I have an issue come up when I had a new kitchen fitted, the builder brought in an electrician to connect the kitchen wiring and he had the attached comments. And is asking for £180 for a condition report which includes Electrical inspection, Electrical testing and Full report with certificate ECR....
                                  12-06-2021, 12:14 PM
                                • Reply to Consumer unit
                                  by Neelix
                                  Back to the op, £180 in London isn’t much for an EICR so before you give the go ahead to the spark ask him how long he will be in the property? If he says about 1 hour then don’t use him....
                                  13-06-2021, 08:09 AM
                                • Reply to Consumer unit
                                  by jpucng62
                                  There is quite a lot of time / work involved in the EICR so I'm not surprised at the £180. He can't know the scope of the problem without doing this. What comes next will depend on what he finds. It sounds like you could be in for a large bill bill you need to get this sorted and what price safety?...
                                  13-06-2021, 06:08 AM
                                • Reply to Consumer unit
                                  by billl
                                  Thank you both for your advice, I just went with what the management agent recommended builder. This is the second time and has not worked out well. I have asked the current electrician if he is a full scope Approved Contractor, Thanks

                                  The electrician is insisting to have a condition...
                                  12-06-2021, 22:10 PM
                                • Reply to Consumer unit
                                  by baldelectrician
                                  I agree- I get most of my work from word of mouth and existing customers....
                                  12-06-2021, 21:02 PM
                                • Reply to Consumer unit
                                  by baldelectrician
                                  Use a fully approoved contractor.

                                  Part P only is not fully time (apprenticeship) served usually

                                  I would suggest a full scope Approved Contractor (either NICEIC or ECA)
                                  12-06-2021, 21:01 PM
                                • Reply to Consumer unit
                                  by Neelix
                                  problem is there no guarantees with trades people , they claim all sorts of things BUT as somebody who gets nearly all their work by word of mouth recommendation, I would say this is the way you should go

                                  remember some trade sites do not publish bad reviews , and as you can see from your...
                                  12-06-2021, 19:40 PM
                                • Reply to Consumer unit
                                  by billl
                                  Thank you Baldelectrician, what check should I do before instructing a electrician?
                                  12-06-2021, 19:13 PM