Freeholder requiring fire door replacement at cost of £2000 +

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm coming to the conclusion that I will probably get my own assessor in (not the FH's, which is what they are pushing for) and get it to current standards.

I don't see why that person should have to be FIRAS-registered. Is there anything in legislation to indicate that FIRAS registration is necessary? FIRAS registration reduces options considerably. There are two such companies in the vicinity.
    There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Originally posted by doobrey View Post

To the layman, this covenant could be understood to cover pretty much anything (i.e. LH must pay anything that anyone wants to charge them for, ever). My view would be that this is intended to refer to third party charges e.g. taxes and the like, rather than elective charges imposed by the freeholder.

Any legal info/views?
      I used this clause at an LVT many years ago trying to recoup insurance that wasn't specified in lease but it was rejected for pretty much the reason you give
      Obviously doesn't set a precedent but I think they'd be on dodgy legal grounds.

Comment

Thanks. Useful info.
        There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

So if a lot of the cost is in the tender process ask the council for the company they will be using and the specifications of the door... Go direct to the company and see how much it would cost for them to install, public sector is a cash cow for companies, I remember my old IT company selling a public sector body server racks, including all the extras, plus and installation service so they were preinstalled.. The public sector body then required the servers be installed in their specification racks so they had to pay for us to move them from the racks they paid for, having been preinstalled which they paid for, to top it off they even got charged for disposal of old racks..

If you can get the company they use to install and it is installing the same specification I would then reject their inspection as it is not required.

Comment

When I challenged FH initially as to why the quoted cost was so excessive they replied that it was "due to a very expensive tender process" so yes, I agree.

I reject some of their specification anyway. They are dictating the colour, for instance, and I now have confirmation in writing from their solicitor that this is necessary for fire safety and it is within FH's rights to demand at my cost. No Judge in their right mind would support that assertion.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X