Freeholder requiring fire door replacement at cost of £2000 +

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How old is the flat? - see if there are plans registered with the Council for the buildings construction ie the mention of Fire Doors and perhaps specification data etc.

If you purchased it off the Council, I'm pretty confident the doors THEY HAD FITTED would have been fire doors and met the specifications they set at the time - so why would they question whether they are FD30 doors, with correct seals etc etc - does your door look the same as everyone elses or have you changed your door.

Councils amaze me - my brother purchased his council flat. The Council decided they wanted to replace all of the upvc windows and told him they wanted to replace his but would not charge him.
    My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

The flat dates from the 1960s, I believe. I didn't buy it from the council. I was one step removed. I bought it from the people who bought it from the council.

I haven't changed the door, no. It is a fire door (FD30, presumably) and I'm sure it would have been compliant with prevailing regs when it was fitted.

I don't have much confidence in the competence or efficiency (or, following this, integrity) of the council and I think they were acting outside the scope of their authority in instructing me to replace my door to their specifications. Challenging them on this has probably put the matter to bed, I think, based on the lack of response. Hope so.
      There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Complain to the Ombudsman. It worked for me.

Comment

By way of further update, the conversation with FH continues on this (extremely slowly and interspersed with long pauses on their side which can last for months at a time).

My conclusion is that they made up many of the their stated "requirements", which have no basis in law or regulations. The door in question is my demised property and I am not obliged to comply with the Fire Safety Order as they insist, since it is a residential dwelling. The lease does not require me to upgrade my door on FH's instruction. They haven't got a leg to stand on legally, in my view.
          There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Hi doobrey , I was looking all over the internet recently trying to find out more on whether our flat entrance door (in 3 storey victorian conversion) needs to be a fire door. Its so confusing, so I sympathise!
            We have been been told to change the existing door following the FireRiskAssesment requested during a remortgage..I have been quoted 2.5k by a company! Which seemed crazy as this never been mentioned before, we bought the flat 5 years ago, and re-mortgaged it since.
            I was also hoping that as residential dwelling we might be excluded, but the below description keeps popping up on different sources, including this one (https://www.lathamssteeldoors.co.uk/...lations-guide/)

So they way I read it, we definitely need it..it just been overlooked before, but perhaps with the regulations tightening it is now being looked at by some mortgage providers..
            Let me know what you think and if this applies to your situation! Domestic buildings

In domestic dwellings above two levels, every door leading to the stairwell (at all levels) must be a fire door, where the door leads to a habitable room. Fire doors are also required in loft conversions; between house and integral garage; and between the business and residential elements in a mixed-use building.

Comment

I hadn't read that one before, but my understanding of it would be that yes, flat entrance doors off a stairwell in a block of three stories or more should be fire doors.

That being the case yes, I think it applies to my situation. But I already have a fire door and do not dispute that one is required.

As per my situation, £2.5k seems very much excessive for installation of a fire door. A few hundred would seem more appropriate to me.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X