What does an EICR involve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does an EICR involve?

I understand that from June 2020 I need an Electrical Installation Condition Report?

What does this actually involve and how detailed are the tests? I have a house that (I think) was last re-wired in the 1990s, there are no obvious, major issues but there are a few items that have been changed in the last 30 years that I’m not sure about. Specifically…
    • Surface mounted socket where the cable is nailed (with cable clips) to the skirting board (no conduit)
    • Electric towel rail with a cable (in a conduit) that runs to a switch in a bathroom.
    • Outside electric security light with normal domestic interior wires that’s aren’t in conduit and have been exposed to the sun.

I have no paperwork with the wiring, what wiring I’ve had done has been done by professional electricians. I’ve had a retired electrician look over the wiring over he’s happy everything’s safe, but he has warned me that he’s no idea what regulations may have been changed in the last 15 years.

I’d prefer to get my wiring up to scratch before paying for an inspection – I don’t want to pay for a 2nd one later. Is it a detailed check that everything is 100% in line with current 2020 regulations? Or a more basic check that everything was wired to the correct standard when it was installed? Or a simple ‘would I be happy if my mum lived in this house’ test?

if it was done correctly in the 90's then it will still pass

Things that can cause issues:
    No RCD / supplimentary bonding in bathroom
    No main gas bond
    No water bond (if metal incoming pipe)

See best practice guide

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...-4-issue-4.pdf

Comment

Depends on the electrician you get. In theory they should be happy with it done to any standard as long as it complied at the time of installation. In practice, you may encounter what I did: A threat to issue a 'failed' EICR unless you let him install a new metal fusebox.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
        Depends on the electrician you get. In theory they should be happy with it done to any standard as long as it complied at the time of installation. In practice, you may encounter what I did: A threat to issue a 'failed' EICR unless you let him install a new metal fusebox.
        Requiring someone to replace a consumer unit just because it is plastic is wrong,

An install can pass easily of there is a plastic consumer unit (assuming other stuff is OK)

Comment

Originally posted by baldelectrician View Post

Requiring someone to replace a consumer unit just because it is plastic is wrong,

An install can pass easily of there is a plastic consumer unit (assuming other stuff is OK)
          I know. Not much I can do about it though, is there?

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

I know. Not much I can do about it though, is there?
            Yes there is.

You could get another electrician, you could seek advice from the electricians governing body.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Dating of gas certificates
              by Fire Risk Assessor
              Thought this was for housing associations, not individual landlords....
              14-07-2020, 21:56 PM
            • Dating of gas certificates
              by AndrewDod
              We all know of the nightmare both tenants hand landlords have scheduling gas engineers for servicing (now more than ever).

I thought it was made somewhat easier by the MOT style dating allowed by parliament in 2018 - or at least I thought allowed - where certificate end-date is carried...
              10-07-2020, 20:05 PM
            • EICR Confusion
              by Ruswh
              I’ve had the EICR done on my rental property and also the remedial work, just need to get the certificate and pay the invoice now.
              The guidance on the gov.uk website states :
              • Supply written confirmation of the completion of the remedial works from the electrician to the tenant and the local
              13-07-2020, 22:43 PM
            • Reply to EICR Confusion
              by tatemono
              I asked elsewhere but haven't had a response yet to my question about what to do if I had a rewire in a property and was issued a BS 7671 Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate for the property. Is this DEIC the equivalent of an EICR or do I need to get the latter done now?
              14-07-2020, 18:10 PM
              by baldelectrician
              The contractor should give you an EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate) for the works, or a minor electrical works cert if the job was only altering a circuit.
              You should get a BS 5839 Pt6 cert for any smoke alarms.

You should contact the contractor in the first instance requesting...
              14-07-2020, 01:19 AM
              by JK0
              I've just had the same rigmarole. My agent arranged the EICR & remedial work to be done by the same firm. I asked for either a clean EICR or a letter confirming that the installation now met the requirements. Neither was forthcoming, despite several requests.

Agent has now been sacked,...
              13-07-2020, 22:50 PM
            • Reply to New fuse box - do i also need EICR report
              by tatemono
              posting on this thread because it's a related question: is a Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate the same as an EICR? I have DEICs for properties that were rewired prior to a couple of (now statutory periodic) tenancies. Do I also have to get an EICR before April next year as well?
              13-07-2020, 16:53 PM
            • New fuse box - do i also need EICR report
              by deereay33
              I had an issue with the fuse box at my rental property last week and the tenants could not get hold of me so rang an emergency electrician who charged me £180 as the main switch had blown. He has now recommended i get a new fuse box and has quoted about £400 for a new fuse box and £130 for an EICR...
              06-07-2020, 16:24 PM
              by AndrewDod
              Many thanks. If that is all they did, they did not finish the job. With vehicle MOTs it is clear that the garage/system can give the appropriate date.

Are gas engineers even allowed to write the next test date on the form according to the legislation?
              "Treated for the purposes"...
              10-07-2020, 22:57 PM
              by Ted.E.Bear
              It's a statutory instrutment, so didn't need to be passed by parliament....
              10-07-2020, 21:52 PM
            Working...
            X