Fire Assessment Opening Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire Assessment Opening Windows

I am buying a house to rent out. I showed the house to the letting agent I may use.
    They said that for the upstairs I need to provide a window which in case of a fire a tenant could escape to a ladder provided by the Fire Brigade.
    All the upstairs windows are modern UPVC double glazed and open at the top and tilt backwards and stop when they are about 10 inches open. There is now way anybody could get out through any of them.
    Presumably though the glass could be broken with a hammer,
    Do I need to change at least one of these windows to allow for an escape in case of a fire.

Any advice gratefully received.

I think you might as well change all of them.

Comment

Does the handle twist all the way round for conventional opening?

Comment

They are not for fire brigade access. They are for the tenant to escape through before fire brigade arrives. The basic design principle of means of escape in a fire is that they should not depend on attendance of the fire brigade.

Do you you have building control paperwork for the windows, as I believe that both FENSA and CERTASS contractors are supposed to consider escape windows in their designs.

Comment

I beg to disagree, opening windows in common parts are for smoke to escape. We were asked to install these with electric motors to create a mechanically opened window of, I think it was 1m2

Comment

The dilemma I had was whether to have windows that open to meet the fire regs or have restrictors to stop stupid small kids falling out!
            This was a top floor holiday let flat in a building terraced into the hillside such that one end of the flat was at third floor and the other end was at ground level! I chose un-latchable window restrictors for child safety. The windows were existing so not part of my refurbishment works.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X