Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear

I forgot how inept Westminster was.

How can they get it so spectacularly wrong?

All that is required is that dwellings are to a good and safe standard, repairs are carried out where necessary and correct certification is used.

When they brought this out in Scotland they had exemptions ;
    New builds were exempt- they were certified for a period of time anyway
    If a landlord had an EICR in the past 5 years they could keep that and get a new one when that expired

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
      Finally got through. It's £400 for a 5 bed in London, and does not include a re-test after 'repairs'.
      I see it's now a week since I rang Brtish Gas to arrange this. I was told I would be contacted in a few days with an appointment. Nothing!

Give me strength!

Comment

So it would seem that any house that is older than 13 months is going to need complete re-wire whether passed safe or not. Social housing providers are again exempt so it's not an issue of safety, more likely another push towards PRS extinction.

Comment

Kape65,

Not really- what it is apparent is that the people drawing up the legislation have not spoken to relevant people in the electrical industry to ask them what they think. Had this been done they would not have come up with such a half baked position.

Comment

I suspect that they have discussed the regulations with the industry but have drafted them in such a way that they do not achieve what was intended.

Comment

Do you know where I stand as a leaseholder of a flat where the freeholder’s agents have instructed that an electrician be allowed access to undertake electrical testing for health and safety purposes? I recognise access to see that I am upholding the terms of my lease as far as the interior is concerned but I resent not being able to instruct my own electrician if it is legally necessary.

Comment

I think you might as well cooperate. It's going to be cheaper to let the guy looking at the other flats to do yours at the same time.

Comment

I just had an inspection and report (Electrical Installation Conditioning Report - EICR) on my 1930's, 3 bed flat in London. It cost me £300 and I was only sent the report after I paid the fee. The engineer's verdict of the installation was "Unsatisactory", but when I tried to contact the engineer to get remedial work done, I got no answer. I assume he was just content to have the £300 which is why he insisted I pay up front - I won't make that mistake again.

The main failures (C2 category - Urgent Remedial Action) in the report were due to missing earth connection at the light switches metal back boxes. The risk is that the Live wire in the switch could come loose and come into contact with the metal back box. This could then be a danger by way of the metal screws that are exposed on the switch face plate. Technically, the engineer is correct with his report, but practically I believe the risk is miniscule and most properties more than 10 years old are probably afflicted by this failure. I wonder if I were to replace the metal screws with plastic ones would the engineer then pass the installation, but more likely he would insist on re-wiring the whole lighting circuit for a tidy sum of money and massive disruption to me, my tenants and possibly the flat above.

Also, recently, I received a letter from the landlord (Hackney Council) informing me that following the Grenfell disaster, from 1st February 2020, the council will require me to provide them with a copy of an EICR report on request along with a Gas Safety Certificate. Obviously I can't send them the "Unsatisfactory" EICR, but even if I got the C2 failures fixed, there are also multiple C3 category - Improvement Recommended on the report including complete electrical re-wiring, new consumer unit and accessories. Will the council insist on these recommended improvements being carried out too?
                  I estimate this would cost in the region of £5,000 - £10,000 and I would have to have the property vacated.

If my property is typical, there could be a massive hike in rents coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by kennyj52 View Post
                    I just had an inspection and report (Electrical Installation Conditioning Report - EICR) on my 1930's, 3 bed flat in London. It cost me £300 and I was only sent the report after I paid the fee. The engineer's verdict of the installation was "Unsatisactory", but when I tried to contact the engineer to get remedial work done, I got no answer. I assume he was just content to have the £300 which is why he insisted I pay up front - I won't make that mistake again.

The main failures (C2 category - Urgent Remedial Action) in the report were due to missing earth connection at the light switches metal back boxes. The risk is that the Live wire in the switch could come loose and come into contact with the metal back box. This could then be a danger by way of the metal screws that are exposed on the switch face plate. Technically, the engineer is correct with his report, but practically I believe the risk is miniscule and most properties more than 10 years old are probably afflicted by this failure. I wonder if I were to replace the metal screws with plastic ones would the engineer then pass the installation, but more likely he would insist on re-wiring the whole lighting circuit for a tidy sum of money and massive disruption to me, my tenants and possibly the flat above.

Also, recently, I received a letter from the landlord (Hackney Council) informing me that following the Grenfell disaster, from 1st February 2020, the council will require me to provide them with a copy of an EICR report on request along with a Gas Safety Certificate. Obviously I can't send them the "Unsatisfactory" EICR, but even if I got the C2 failures fixed, there are also multiple C3 category - Improvement Recommended on the report including complete electrical re-wiring, new consumer unit and accessories. Will the council insist on these recommended improvements being carried out too?
                    I estimate this would cost in the region of £5,000 - £10,000 and I would have to have the property vacated.

If my property is typical, there could be a massive hike in rents coming soon.
                    My 60's house in Jersey has the lack of earth wires to light switches. They avoided the risk of someone getting a shock from the screws by having an insulated piece on the side of each box for the screws to thread into. You might find yours is similar, though I don't expect your jobsworth would accept it, even if he noticed it.

Comment

I do not provide the full EICR until payment has been made- it is company policy

On the note of earthing and lights - see BPG 4 ESC: link below, section 10 deals with no earth on lights.

It is possible to have class 2 fittings,and switches

https://www.hager.co.uk/product-cata...ps12/60511.htm, these swiitches are plastic and come with plastic screw covers

Comment

Originally posted by baldelectrician View Post
                        I do not provide the full EICR until payment has been made- it is company policy

On the note of earthing and lights - see BPG 4 ESC: link below, section 10 deals with no earth on lights.

It is possible to have class 2 fittings,and switches

https://www.hager.co.uk/product-cata...ps12/60511.htm, these swiitches are plastic and come with plastic screw covers
                        Can't work those links.

Comment

Hager link works

See best practice guide number 1
                          https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...actice-guides/

Comment

Hager link again, I am out and about and am using my phone
                            https://www.hager.co.uk/product-cata...agedetaillayer

Comment

Lights have required an earth from about 1967, if the wiring has no earth then it is from then or before.

Comment

Thanks for the links baldelectrician, I found the Best Practice Guides as suggested, but the Hager link didn't say they were Class II switches, though I have found Class II (double insulated) switches on the Internet at - https://www.castlegatelights.co.uk/t...n-white-p46670 I have also found these screwless faceplate switches on the internet, though they're not specified as Class II, would they fix the issue too? - https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-aspect...-inserts/388ff

I checked my home (built in the 70's) and all the light switches are earthed except one that I installed, but it doesn't matter because I am an owner occupier and I don't care about the safety of myself or my family.

I could replace my current switches with the Class II switches which would probably upgrade the failures from C2 to C3 category. But I suppose the main question is will Hackney Council accept an installation containing C3 observations - I fear not.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X