Good time to be an electrician

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good time to be an electrician

From 1st July 2020 all new tenancies will have to have the electrics tested to meet the 2018 edition of the IEEE wiring regulations.
    And the same regulations will apply to all tenancies from 1st April 2021.

With a five year re-certification required.

That's a lot of electricians visits (and probably a fair amount of work required - mostly fuse boards I'd guess!).

Book now to beat the queues!

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2020/9780111191934
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Great - another cost to pass on to tenants (and for the unnecessary "re-wires"). Anyone know how many tenants in the PRS have been electrocuted in the past 10 years, and how many of those would have been prevented by such testing? I feel so much better

Comment

Just glanced at that, and this piece of BS jumped out at me:

4.—(1) Where a local housing authority has reasonable grounds to believe that, in relation to residential premises situated within its area, a private landlord is in breach of one or more of the duties under regulation 3(1)(a), (1)(b), (1)(c), (4) and (6), and the most recent report under regulation 3(3) does not indicate that urgent remedial action is required, the authority must serve a remedial notice on the private landlord.

(2) A remedial notice must—

(a)specify the premises to which the notice relates;

(b)specify the duty or duties that the local housing authority considers the private landlord has failed to comply with;

(c)specify the remedial action the local housing authority considers should be taken;

(d)require the private landlord to take that action within 28 days beginning with the day on which the notice is served;

(e)explain that the private landlord is entitled to make written representations against the notice within 21 days beginning with the day on which the notice is served;

(f)specify the person to whom, and the address (including if appropriate any email address) to which, any representations may be sent; and

(g)explain the effect of regulations 11 and 12, including the maximum financial penalty which a local housing authority may impose.
      So if the electrician's report says it's okay, you still might get the a***holes at the council pursuing you?!

Comment

As a conscientious LL I've been doing these for years - electrical safety is covered under Health & Safety legislation and we should all ensure our properties are safe.

Comment

Do you get the wiring in your own house checked every 5 years? Or a gas safety check every year?

Comment

I doubt the deadline is even achievable if we started now. Conforming to the 2018 regs requires metal clad consumer units. Presumably every rental property in England will require one?

Comment

There are about 2m private landlords in the UK, with 5m households renting in total, so there are likely to be about 2.5m properties caught in this legislation (excluding HMO and social housing).
              This isn't very sophisticated, and I haven't thought through Scotland and NI.

Assuming an inspection costs £50.00, that's £125m of income into electricians within the next 15 months.
              Then almost nothing for nearly 5 years and then all the same inspections again.
              Haven't there people considered capacity and phasing.

If, as i suspect, a lot of fuseboards need upgrading, that's even more money (and a shortage of fuseboards).

That's 2.5m additional jobs for electricians to find the capacity for in 15 months (166,666 per month).
              A random google search says there are 259,000 electricians and fitters in the UK, so it's about 10 more jobs each.

I've asked my agent to start now, and am hoping that someone pretty sizeable (like British Gas) gets involved.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post

I've asked my agent to start now, and am hoping that someone pretty sizeable (like British Gas) gets involved.
                They are, but it's not £50 a time.

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/home-se...ord-cover.html

Comment

I know it's against forum policy but F*****g Hell!

And, "Price varies depending on number of bedrooms. Price subject to change. Terms & conditions apply."

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                    I know it's against forum policy but F*****g Hell!

And, "Price varies depending on number of bedrooms. Price subject to change. Terms & conditions apply."
                    And that's just to send you a letter telling you what you need to do to comply! It's going to cost hundreds per property, if not thousands.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                      And that's just to send you a letter telling you what you need to do to comply! It's going to cost hundreds per property, if not thousands.
                      I'm somewhat wary of British Gas's propensity to find things wrong with virtually everything already.

Comment

Hi All, Is this law of a draft proposal?

Comment

I think there might be a lot of landlords taking the electrical testing course now, mightn't there? There doesn't seem to be any restriction on 'marking your own homework'.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                            Hi All, Is this law of a draft proposal?
                            It's a new regulation (which will pass because of the government majority).

It's not contentious, so it isn't law yet, but it will be in a few months (probably two).

Comment

An inspection is needed for every new tenancy. Or have I read it wrong? This might mean a void between the old tenancy and the new.

c)ensure the first inspection and testing is carried out—

(i)before the tenancy commences in relation to a new specified tenancy; or

(ii)by 1st April 2021 in relation to an existing specified tenancy.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X