Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Safety Certificate advice

Hi,

I'm due to rent out my flat for the first time this Saturday. As such I had a gas safety certificate completed on the Monday just gone. I have a gas fireplace as well which the engineer suggested I cut the gas off to instead of getting it done as well as it would be a further cost to me whenever it needs a new certificate. This was fine with me and it was done.

I've just received a call from the managing letting agents saying that it needs to be capped off and is "company policy" however the engineer has advised me that this isn't a legal requirement and doesn't need to be done.

Does anyone have any advice around this? If it's company policy am I obligated to get this done despite it not being a legal requirement?

Thanks,

C

I'd reinstate the fire and pay the small additional fee to have it tested every year.
    Otherwise, your tenants are stuck with a fire that doesn't work, and it would seem to me to be a desirable feature (if there's still a fire there, you or the agent are going to have to explain to everyone viewing the property that the fire doesn't work).

Alternatively, have the supply properly capped.
    It's a legal requirement that the property is "safe", which is nice and vague!
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

The reason he suggested cutting the supply to the fireplace was because there's a vent that would vent the fumes out however if the vent is covered up, it could be dangerous.

Thanks,

C

Comment

That does make more sense.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I believe that even if the pipe is capped or somehow gas is turned off to it, it still needs to be checked for purposes of issuing a GSC, as it is part of the installation pipework. (see regulation 36)

Comment

Are you really going to cap a gas fire to save money!!!!

The housing association I worked for still had to check each year to ensure it was still capped.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X