Landlord gas safety fail - what are reasonable efforts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord gas safety fail - what are reasonable efforts?

Landlord gas safety failed because it has a tapping screw missing and needed the flue fixing more securely to the outer wall (collar missing). A different plumber last year highlighted the missing collar but said it wasn’t making the system illegal in any way, so it was passed back then.
    This year’s plumber took 5 working days to inform me of their findings and did not turn the boiler off.
    I took 4 working days to contact the plumber for dates to rectify the problem. Plumber told me a different plumber would probably have passed it and they quoted £230 to put these minor problems right. They had not turned the boiler off when conducting the assessment and it took them 5 working days to let me know there is a problem, all of which made me think it’s not a safety issue in the same way a faulty boiler would be.
    My tenant was present when the assessment failed and says they were just looking for problems but he kept insisting the boiler works fine without the collar. I lived in the property myself and it never had a collar on it for the past 10 years has passed inspections! My tenant insists on taking time off work which I feel ties my hands or I will be in danger of harassment, and despite my 3 further clear texts saying it’s a legal requirement and I’m happy to let engineer in to the property to help expedient repairs, the tenants booked a date to suit them in almost 3 weeks time.

Is this reasonable time frame or do I need to do anything else here?

I used the same plumber at my house this week for repairs and they serious misdiagnosed the problem, at a huge cost, so my husband got a second opinion who rectified the (completely different and much cheaper) problem. As a result I cancelled the plumber for the gas safety and got these more accurate people booked in the same date to do it instead.
    The original plumber didn’t take kindly to being cancelled and is now threatening to report me for being without a safety certificate. Do I need to be worried? I’m not sure if these timeframes would be considered too long - have I been too patient with ™ tenants? What should I do?

When does the certificate expire?

Comment

3 weeks ago

Comment

My slightly ancient 1990s Potterton Profile boilers at home (I have two !!) go on year after year without a gas safety certificate but are apparently quite safe and extremely reliable. However these hi-tech boilers with condensors and circuits go down much more frequently. The law is absurd but as a landlord you can get caned for not having a gas safety certificate. Push it up the list to the top, even if its all a load of B***O**s, for anyone with a Carbon Monoxide deterctors

Comment

Inform the tenants formally in writing (with proof of postage) that they must turn the boiler off and leave it off until such time as they permit access to the engineers to repair, and that this should be as soon as possible. Inform them that with their consent you will give a copy of the keys to the engineer to repair it in their absence. Send a copy of the letter to yourself or a friend also proof of postage and retain the unopened stamped letter.

Then wait and see what happens. You have done all you can.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X