Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EICR code 3s and electric heating

Hi everyone

We have a tenanted property with electric-only heating (storage heaters downstairs, panel heaters upstairs). We’ve just had the 5-yearly EICR, the overall assessment is satisfactory with no code 1s or code 2s. However, there are some code 3s, and the electrician is recommending replacing the current off-peak and on-peak consumer units with new consumer units (the off-peak unit, eg, apparently has no RCD protection).

A complication is that the electrician has said the elements on the storage heaters may be starting to go (the heaters are very old, possibly from the 1990s), and there is a possibility of any new consumer units being tripped by the storage heaters (I guess because the new units would be more sensitive?). I’m planning to speak to the electrician, but it sounds like if we do anything about the code 3s we could end up having to replace the storage heaters as well as the consumer units. So I am mulling over whether that’s a financial hit it’s worth taking in one go now to get everything up to date, or whether to leave things as they are for now notwithstanding the code 3s?

Does anyone have a gut feel for what they would be minded to do in our position? P.S. I know some folks recommend modern (cheaper) electric radiators rather than storage heaters, but I’m not sure that’s an option here because the tenants are long established and are presumably used to the cheaper running costs of storage heaters.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Little Rabbit View Post
    Hi everyone

no RCD protection
    The regualtions at the time of the install meant RCD protection was not required, the current ones require this (for cables buried in a wall < 50mm)

A complication is that the electrician has said the elements on the storage heaters may be starting to go
    This sounds like mince- he has an insulation and continuity tester which will tell him if the elements are intact and the insulation tester will let him know if any RCD will trip.

Does anyone have a gut feel for what they would be minded to do in our position? P.S. I know some folks recommend modern (cheaper) electric radiators rather than storage heaters, but I’m not sure that’s an option here because the tenants are long established and are presumably used to the cheaper running costs of storage heaters.

Thanks in advance!
    Any new storage heaters will be dual supply (2 switches, one for the electronics and one for the off peak cheap leccy) so you may have to run more cables if you change them

Comment

Sounds like a lot of nonsense to me. All storage heaters are hard-wired, so there is not the barest possibility that anyone could get a shock by unplugging one. Therefore I would leave the system as it is.

I believe your electrician sees you as a mug with more money than sense.

Comment

It's not a question of the new consumer unit being more sensitive; the old one had no sensitivity at all to earth leakage, unless it was in tens of amps.

It's not a question of getting a shock when unplugging, but rather that the new consumer unit may interpret the poor insulation in the heater as being someone getting a shock, so will be subject to false trips.

Comment

Thanks everyone so far. Yes, leaseholder64, as I understand the issue it will be a question of false trips rather than tenants actually getting shocks. But if that's going to happen regularly with new consumer units I can see myself getting lots of calls from the tenants. To be fair to the electrician, so far I've only had his written report and I need to speak to him. I am wondering if it is just routine to recommend upgrades to consumer units as Code 3s even when overall the installation is considered satisfactory (ie safe)? Perhaps this will come out when we speak. It's just good to get some thoughts from other folks in advance.

Comment

I think that is the purpose of code 3's. They are things to take into consideration when work is done, e.g. as a result of dealing with code 1s and 2s. It is the difference between just acceptable and best practice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• 2 or 3 stories
              Paulpopb
              I have been given a upgrade order by the council stating fire hazard 1. The inspector insists because the building is 3 stories, ii have to install an interlinked wired fire alarm system.
              I have 2 flats over 2 floors and an attic that has been boarded out in to 2 rooms but on the orders of a previous...
              25-07-2019, 16:02 PM
            • Reply to 2 or 3 stories
              Paulpopb
              I have an appeal in and because of the changes to BS58__ part 6 in May this year it says because of improvement with alarms etc a mains wired alarm and wired control panel is no longer a requirement so I'm optimistic about the appeal.
              04-10-2019, 21:16 PM
            • Hard Wired Sysyem
              Ian2019
              I have a flat that I rent out that has a “tested with tenant” FireAngel ST 750T smoke alarm and a Carbon Monoxide alarm and a fire blanket in the kitchen.
              The Management Company have recently undertaken a Fire Risk Assessment and informed us that all landlords should comply with BS 5839-6...
              24-09-2019, 11:14 AM
            • Reply to Hard Wired Sysyem
              theartfullodger
              Fine: Reply, in writing, stating you have considered that standard. That's all they've asked you to do....
              25-09-2019, 18:52 PM
              Ian2019
              Thank you both for your information, clear and concise.
              i will seriously look at the screwfix alarm option to replace the existing alarm and I take on board your helpful comments and the education update it has provided for myself.
              25-09-2019, 18:14 PM
              leaseholder64
              What they are probably going by is appendix 6 of "Fire Safety in Purpose Built Blocks of Flats", which is the standard reference for risk assessing blocks like yours. This says:

With which you comply unless you have done any major electrical wiring work. And:
              25-09-2019, 12:09 PM
              baldelectrician
              the management company can insist on what they want, I think it is unlikely they can justify you remove a compliant battery system and install a mains one as both now comply with BS 5839 Pt 6 (the standard has been amened as smoke detector and battery technology has developed)

I am fairly...
              25-09-2019, 11:42 AM
              Ian2019
              Leaseholder64 - that now makes sense. I purchased my flat 12 years ago (to live in - with a glazed door) - but have now married and live at my wife’s flat - hence we rent my old one out. Having had a couple of “bad” tenants - I am beginning to think seriously about selling it now. Thank you.
              24-09-2019, 17:18 PM
              leaseholder64
              If it is a purpose built flat, below you and has proper fire doors, the fire should be contained. The smoke alarms in those flats don't protect you, only the occupiers of those flats. On the other hand their entrance door does protect you.
              24-09-2019, 17:10 PM
              leaseholder64
              No it is nowhere near major work in the sense I used. I'm not even sure if completely rewiring the electrics would trigger the requirements.

On the other hand, it does appear that over 50% of the flats have been owned by criminals, at one time or another, as replacing a fire door with...
              24-09-2019, 17:09 PM
            Working...
            X