Is electric testing the law now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is electric testing the law now?

I have a landlord gas safety certificate for my property for my new tenants to move in but wondered if getting electricals tested or an electrical certificate was the law now too?
    Many thanks for any help. Much appreciated.

Explicitly for HMOs and under some Selective Licensing schemes.

Apart from that how are you going to prove that you have take reasonable steps to ensure safety?

Comment

If you were going to rent out a property you lived in yourself you would probably not need to have an Electrical Safety Certificate.
      Any building which has previously been rented out may have been messed about electrically by the tenants.
      I have just had an Electrical Safety Check done on a house I hope to rent out.
      There was a very old cable under floorboards. It was so old that the outer sheathing was lead.
      I assumed that it was dead. Bang it went when I cut it.
      So I had an electrician in.
      I am also told by my letting agent that if I have electrical appliances in they need a PAT Test.

Comment

are you telling us that you have no documentation at all as to whether the electrics are safe? You're really asking the wrong question if you want to be a responsible landlord and actually care less about whether someone dies in your property.

Comment

Currently the answer to this question depends on which part of the UK you are in

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X