• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junomak88
    started a topic Fire escape for converted house

Fire escape for converted house

Hi,

Need some advice please.

I live in a converted 1900's house containing 3 flats (I am on the 1st floor) with a shared lobby area on ground floor. The 3 of us are directors of the managing company, one for each flat.

I have never been a landlord before but planning to rent my flat out and want some advice regarding fire safety before doing so.

Question: At the moment there is no other exit from the flat apart from the front door in the lobby, if I was to rent my flat out, will I by fire safety regulations need to have a fire escape/access installed i.e iron stairs at the back of my flat?

If so, do I need to provide the fire access from flat only or will my neighbour on the 2nd floor need to have access as well even though he is not renting his flat out?

Also if I were to have the rear stairs fitted, how would I go about it? Do I need to speak to my local council esp the house is located in a conservation area?

Any other fire safety advice welcomed.

Much appreciated

• Junomak88
    replied
    Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
    Do the windows not open?
    Haha they do open. Just want to check if I needed a separate fire exit door with stairs at the back of the flat as well.

Leave a comment:

• Junomak88
    replied
    Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
    You are a director of a landlord already!

Sub-letting one third of the flats won't normally change the fire safety status. You have been required to carry out and review fire risk assessments (as a director of the management company, since 2006, and that should have determined whether there were adequate means of escape.

If a second flat is sub-let and the conversion did not comply with at least 1992 building regulations, you will have a section 257 HMO, with enhanced fire safety requirements.

Becoming a landlord does make you responsible for fire safety in the flat, so you would need to re-instate and illegally replaced fire doors and provide adequate smoke alarms.'
    Sorry what I meant was it will be my first time renting out a property since I have been living in my flat in 2015. Thanks for the info. I will check out the fire risk assessments with the co secretary.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Do the windows not open?

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    You are a director of a landlord already!

Sub-letting one third of the flats won't normally change the fire safety status. You have been required to carry out and review fire risk assessments (as a director of the management company, since 2006, and that should have determined whether there were adequate means of escape.

If a second flat is sub-let and the conversion did not comply with at least 1992 building regulations, you will have a section 257 HMO, with enhanced fire safety requirements.

Becoming a landlord does make you responsible for fire safety in the flat, so you would need to re-instate and illegally replaced fire doors and provide adequate smoke alarms.'

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• 2 or 3 stories
    Paulpopb
    I have been given a upgrade order by the council stating fire hazard 1. The inspector insists because the building is 3 stories, ii have to install an interlinked wired fire alarm system.
    I have 2 flats over 2 floors and an attic that has been boarded out in to 2 rooms but on the orders of a previous...
    25-07-2019, 16:02 PM
  • Reply to 2 or 3 stories
    Paulpopb
    I have an appeal in and because of the changes to BS58__ part 6 in May this year it says because of improvement with alarms etc a mains wired alarm and wired control panel is no longer a requirement so I'm optimistic about the appeal.
    04-10-2019, 21:16 PM
  • Hard Wired Sysyem
    Ian2019
    I have a flat that I rent out that has a “tested with tenant” FireAngel ST 750T smoke alarm and a Carbon Monoxide alarm and a fire blanket in the kitchen.
    The Management Company have recently undertaken a Fire Risk Assessment and informed us that all landlords should comply with BS 5839-6...
    24-09-2019, 11:14 AM
  • Reply to Hard Wired Sysyem
    theartfullodger
    Fine: Reply, in writing, stating you have considered that standard. That's all they've asked you to do....
    25-09-2019, 18:52 PM
    Ian2019
    Thank you both for your information, clear and concise.
    i will seriously look at the screwfix alarm option to replace the existing alarm and I take on board your helpful comments and the education update it has provided for myself.
    25-09-2019, 18:14 PM
    leaseholder64
    What they are probably going by is appendix 6 of "Fire Safety in Purpose Built Blocks of Flats", which is the standard reference for risk assessing blocks like yours. This says:

With which you comply unless you have done any major electrical wiring work. And:
    25-09-2019, 12:09 PM
    baldelectrician
    the management company can insist on what they want, I think it is unlikely they can justify you remove a compliant battery system and install a mains one as both now comply with BS 5839 Pt 6 (the standard has been amened as smoke detector and battery technology has developed)

I am fairly...
    25-09-2019, 11:42 AM
    Ian2019
    Leaseholder64 - that now makes sense. I purchased my flat 12 years ago (to live in - with a glazed door) - but have now married and live at my wife’s flat - hence we rent my old one out. Having had a couple of “bad” tenants - I am beginning to think seriously about selling it now. Thank you.
    24-09-2019, 17:18 PM
    leaseholder64
    If it is a purpose built flat, below you and has proper fire doors, the fire should be contained. The smoke alarms in those flats don't protect you, only the occupiers of those flats. On the other hand their entrance door does protect you.
    24-09-2019, 17:10 PM
    leaseholder64
    No it is nowhere near major work in the sense I used. I'm not even sure if completely rewiring the electrics would trigger the requirements.

On the other hand, it does appear that over 50% of the flats have been owned by criminals, at one time or another, as replacing a fire door with...
    24-09-2019, 17:09 PM
Working...
X