• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junomak88
    started a topic Fire escape for converted house

Fire escape for converted house

Hi,

Need some advice please.

I live in a converted 1900's house containing 3 flats (I am on the 1st floor) with a shared lobby area on ground floor. The 3 of us are directors of the managing company, one for each flat.

I have never been a landlord before but planning to rent my flat out and want some advice regarding fire safety before doing so.

Question: At the moment there is no other exit from the flat apart from the front door in the lobby, if I was to rent my flat out, will I by fire safety regulations need to have a fire escape/access installed i.e iron stairs at the back of my flat?

If so, do I need to provide the fire access from flat only or will my neighbour on the 2nd floor need to have access as well even though he is not renting his flat out?

Also if I were to have the rear stairs fitted, how would I go about it? Do I need to speak to my local council esp the house is located in a conservation area?

Any other fire safety advice welcomed.

Much appreciated

• Junomak88
    replied
    Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
    Do the windows not open?
    Haha they do open. Just want to check if I needed a separate fire exit door with stairs at the back of the flat as well.

Leave a comment:

• Junomak88
    replied
    Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
    You are a director of a landlord already!

Sub-letting one third of the flats won't normally change the fire safety status. You have been required to carry out and review fire risk assessments (as a director of the management company, since 2006, and that should have determined whether there were adequate means of escape.

If a second flat is sub-let and the conversion did not comply with at least 1992 building regulations, you will have a section 257 HMO, with enhanced fire safety requirements.

Becoming a landlord does make you responsible for fire safety in the flat, so you would need to re-instate and illegally replaced fire doors and provide adequate smoke alarms.'
    Sorry what I meant was it will be my first time renting out a property since I have been living in my flat in 2015. Thanks for the info. I will check out the fire risk assessments with the co secretary.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Do the windows not open?

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    You are a director of a landlord already!

Sub-letting one third of the flats won't normally change the fire safety status. You have been required to carry out and review fire risk assessments (as a director of the management company, since 2006, and that should have determined whether there were adequate means of escape.

If a second flat is sub-let and the conversion did not comply with at least 1992 building regulations, you will have a section 257 HMO, with enhanced fire safety requirements.

Becoming a landlord does make you responsible for fire safety in the flat, so you would need to re-instate and illegally replaced fire doors and provide adequate smoke alarms.'

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Faulty staircase help
    Mameuk
    I have fallen through my top step in private rented home where me my partner and our 5 month old have lived for 8months. I need advice on a few things if possible?

First is this we put together 6 months of rent in advance which the agents thought at the beggining of tenancy was up front...
    16-07-2019, 06:54 AM
  • Reply to Faulty staircase help
    leaseholder64
    Having a wear and tear diagnosis is good for you and doesn't invalidate the landlord's safety responsibilities.

Being ruled wear and tear means you can't be made to pay for the repairs.
    16-07-2019, 10:10 AM
  • Reply to Faulty staircase help
    Mameuk
    16-07-2019, 06:56 AM
  • Asbestos
    bananas
    Hi, just wondered if anyone knows anything about the legal liabilities for asbestos. We own one flat in a converted block. When we refurbished our flat, we found asbestos, and had it removed professionally, and because it was notifiable, that meant the full bells and whistles treatment (and bill)...
    02-07-2019, 20:47 PM
  • Reply to Asbestos
    leaseholder64
    If it is very high risk, it is probably asbestos millboard, rather than asbestos insulation board. The latter can sometimes be removed by non-licensed contractors, although is still subject to legislation.
    02-07-2019, 22:47 PM
  • Reply to Asbestos
    bananas
    Thank you - that is an interesting point about the management survey. I don't know whether it's called insulation board, probably is. I just know that it is the most dangerous stuff. Originally we all thought is was hardboard, and it was only when a sheet of it was unscrewed to do a job on a stopcock,...
    02-07-2019, 22:22 PM
  • Reply to Asbestos
    leaseholder64
    The responsible person, presumably the management company, is supposed to have carried out an asbestos management survey.

The proposed removal method would be illegal. It must be done by a licensed contractor and any vacuum cleaner would need to have a special, high performance, filter....
    02-07-2019, 22:02 PM
  • Reply to Asbestos
    bananas
    The reason we can't leave it is because we need access to the pipes and wires - work is needed on the fire alarm panel/wires, plus plumbing can't be done - there's no point waiting for a leak and then not being able to instruct a plumber. Plus the area needs re-decorating (the asbestos is damaged and...
    02-07-2019, 21:49 PM
  • Reply to Asbestos
    JK0
    I think there is less of a health risk by leaving well alone than by disturbing it.
    02-07-2019, 21:20 PM
  • Circuit boards
    Samsmum
    I am a director of a resident management company. One of our directors, an ex electrical engineer , ( not registered with a competent persons scheme ) has fitted circuit boards without having them certified. He has told me we can not force residents to have them certified. My question is : how responsible...
    30-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Working...
X