Recommendation for Mains Interconnected Smoke/Heat detectors please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendation for Mains Interconnected Smoke/Heat detectors please

I have a couple of HMOs that are approaching the time when the smoke detectors are getting to the end of their 10 year life and will need replacing.
    The current detectors are mains interconnected with integral Lithium battery but I have had had several situations where the units have broken down - mainly due to battery failure within their stated life. Yes, the manufacturer did replace them but I could do without the hassle for the tenants and myself.
    I'd appreciate if anyone has any recommendations for detectors that they have been reliable and trouble-free. I haven't said what manufacturer's products I use currently in case it affects your recommendation (perhaps they are all like that!). Thanks

How many are we talking about? You may be on the border of requiring a central panel, in which case there would be one battery for the lot (but that would require servicing).

Comment

Only 10 units per HMO so I don't want the cost/hassle of a central panel

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Faulty staircase help
        Mameuk
        I have fallen through my top step in private rented home where me my partner and our 5 month old have lived for 8months. I need advice on a few things if possible?

First is this we put together 6 months of rent in advance which the agents thought at the beggining of tenancy was up front...
        16-07-2019, 06:54 AM
      • Reply to Faulty staircase help
        leaseholder64
        Having a wear and tear diagnosis is good for you and doesn't invalidate the landlord's safety responsibilities.

Being ruled wear and tear means you can't be made to pay for the repairs.
        16-07-2019, 10:10 AM
      • Reply to Faulty staircase help
        Mameuk
        16-07-2019, 06:56 AM
      • Asbestos
        bananas
        Hi, just wondered if anyone knows anything about the legal liabilities for asbestos. We own one flat in a converted block. When we refurbished our flat, we found asbestos, and had it removed professionally, and because it was notifiable, that meant the full bells and whistles treatment (and bill)...
        02-07-2019, 20:47 PM
      • Reply to Asbestos
        leaseholder64
        If it is very high risk, it is probably asbestos millboard, rather than asbestos insulation board. The latter can sometimes be removed by non-licensed contractors, although is still subject to legislation.
        02-07-2019, 22:47 PM
      • Reply to Asbestos
        bananas
        Thank you - that is an interesting point about the management survey. I don't know whether it's called insulation board, probably is. I just know that it is the most dangerous stuff. Originally we all thought is was hardboard, and it was only when a sheet of it was unscrewed to do a job on a stopcock,...
        02-07-2019, 22:22 PM
      • Reply to Asbestos
        leaseholder64
        The responsible person, presumably the management company, is supposed to have carried out an asbestos management survey.

The proposed removal method would be illegal. It must be done by a licensed contractor and any vacuum cleaner would need to have a special, high performance, filter....
        02-07-2019, 22:02 PM
      • Reply to Asbestos
        bananas
        The reason we can't leave it is because we need access to the pipes and wires - work is needed on the fire alarm panel/wires, plus plumbing can't be done - there's no point waiting for a leak and then not being able to instruct a plumber. Plus the area needs re-decorating (the asbestos is damaged and...
        02-07-2019, 21:49 PM
      • Reply to Asbestos
        JK0
        I think there is less of a health risk by leaving well alone than by disturbing it.
        02-07-2019, 21:20 PM
      • Circuit boards
        Samsmum
        I am a director of a resident management company. One of our directors, an ex electrical engineer , ( not registered with a competent persons scheme ) has fitted circuit boards without having them certified. He has told me we can not force residents to have them certified. My question is : how responsible...
        30-06-2019, 09:02 AM
      Working...
      X