LACORS 2009 behind the times?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LACORS 2009 behind the times?

I have recently had a Private Sector Licensing inspection at a shared house (3-bed on 2 stories). Tenants unrelated but sharing as a group rather than bed-sits.

The Council is insisting on me installing mains-powered interlinked alarms because that is what LACORS 2009 specifies.
    However, when that was written, interlinked 10-year sealed lithium battery units were not available as they are now.

Anything I can do to get them to accept these rather than having to go down the route of an expensive (and potentially ugly) installation of mains-powered alarms?

I heard they are updating the standards for smoke detectors with a view to allowing some battery interlinked ones

In my opinion there is a lot less to go wrong with wired ones as they cannot be blocked by wifi interference and are more reliable as well as having (the better ones) sealed lithium batteries

Have a look at the Aico 3000 range for the main escape routes, you can add Aico wireless 10 year battery to this system

Comment

Originally posted by baldelectrician View Post
      I heard they are updating the standards for smoke detectors with a view to allowing some battery interlinked ones

In my opinion there is a lot less to go wrong with wired ones as they cannot be blocked by wifi interference and are more reliable as well as having (the better ones) sealed lithium batteries

Have a look at the Aico 3000 range for the main escape routes, you can add Aico wireless 10 year battery to this system
      Many thanks for this. If anyone has any further information on the updating process, please do post it

Comment

BS 5839-Part 6 is being updated with the removal of some of the little used categories. I've not heard anything about the updating of LACORS.

Comment

Originally posted by Fire Risk Assessor View Post
          BS 5839-Part 6 is being updated with the removal of some of the little used categories. I've not heard anything about the updating of LACORS.
          Many thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Faulty staircase help
            Mameuk
            I have fallen through my top step in private rented home where me my partner and our 5 month old have lived for 8months. I need advice on a few things if possible?

First is this we put together 6 months of rent in advance which the agents thought at the beggining of tenancy was up front...
            16-07-2019, 06:54 AM
          • Reply to Faulty staircase help
            leaseholder64
            Having a wear and tear diagnosis is good for you and doesn't invalidate the landlord's safety responsibilities.

Being ruled wear and tear means you can't be made to pay for the repairs.
            16-07-2019, 10:10 AM
          • Reply to Faulty staircase help
            Mameuk
            16-07-2019, 06:56 AM
          • Asbestos
            bananas
            Hi, just wondered if anyone knows anything about the legal liabilities for asbestos. We own one flat in a converted block. When we refurbished our flat, we found asbestos, and had it removed professionally, and because it was notifiable, that meant the full bells and whistles treatment (and bill)...
            02-07-2019, 20:47 PM
          • Reply to Asbestos
            leaseholder64
            If it is very high risk, it is probably asbestos millboard, rather than asbestos insulation board. The latter can sometimes be removed by non-licensed contractors, although is still subject to legislation.
            02-07-2019, 22:47 PM
          • Reply to Asbestos
            bananas
            Thank you - that is an interesting point about the management survey. I don't know whether it's called insulation board, probably is. I just know that it is the most dangerous stuff. Originally we all thought is was hardboard, and it was only when a sheet of it was unscrewed to do a job on a stopcock,...
            02-07-2019, 22:22 PM
          • Reply to Asbestos
            leaseholder64
            The responsible person, presumably the management company, is supposed to have carried out an asbestos management survey.

The proposed removal method would be illegal. It must be done by a licensed contractor and any vacuum cleaner would need to have a special, high performance, filter....
            02-07-2019, 22:02 PM
          • Reply to Asbestos
            bananas
            The reason we can't leave it is because we need access to the pipes and wires - work is needed on the fire alarm panel/wires, plus plumbing can't be done - there's no point waiting for a leak and then not being able to instruct a plumber. Plus the area needs re-decorating (the asbestos is damaged and...
            02-07-2019, 21:49 PM
          • Reply to Asbestos
            JK0
            I think there is less of a health risk by leaving well alone than by disturbing it.
            02-07-2019, 21:20 PM
          • Circuit boards
            Samsmum
            I am a director of a resident management company. One of our directors, an ex electrical engineer , ( not registered with a competent persons scheme ) has fitted circuit boards without having them certified. He has told me we can not force residents to have them certified. My question is : how responsible...
            30-06-2019, 09:02 AM
          Working...
          X