Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart Meters

Hi

One of my tenants has received a letter from the energy supplier asking me to contact them to book in my change over to smart meters.

Is this a mandatory thing? At this particular property, both gas and electric meters are outside the house so I don't see any benefit to chaqnge the meter.

If the intention is to relocate the meters inside the property, I don't actually want this as it is a small 1 bedroom house and I would like to ensure no living space is used up by these meters.

Any info on the smart meters is appreciated.

Many thanks
    Claymore

No,it's not mandatory.
    But the suppliers are under pressure from govt. to fit them, in the misguided hope that they encourage people to save energy, so you can expect frequent badgering about it...

Comment

Make sure you avoid having a SMETS1 meter fitted. These are the earlier type, which become 'dumb' if you change to a different supplier. They are a real nuisance, because you need to press a combination of buttons to obtain a meter reading.

The SMETS2 compliant meters are being rolled out now and these have to be readable by all utility providers, which means they retain their 'smartness'.

Comment

OK - as the meters are outside and not mandatory, I won't agree to the changeover for now.

Comment

The smart meter itself would likely take up relatively little space (the meter and transmitter fitted in my flat occupies a space less than 20 × 20 x 6 cm), but there is no obligation to have one fitted.

In my opinion the smart meter is also of no use (unless you really have no idea about how much power different electrical devices use).
          If people want to reduce their electricity consumption they will generally learn which devices use significant electricity , and reduce usage of these if they can, without a smart meter installed.
          I unplugged the display unit after a few weeks because it was an unecessary waste of electricity (albeit a very insignificant amount).

Comment

They should not change to location of current meters, just replace by Smart ones.
            We will all be forced have SMART meters eventually.

Comment

Meters do have to be changed eventually, to ensure they remain accurate, so at some point there will be a forced change.

Comment

Does the meter they are offering allow remote readings? If so you might want to go for it. Wouldnt have a smart meter in my own home though.

Comment

Remote readings are implemented through the central system, not directly from the meter. Any smart meter that is actually working in smart mode will allow remote readings by the company, but it up to them as to whether or not they will provide them to the account holder, who, in any case, is presumably the tenant.

Comment

I wonder if it will one day be a letting feature to proclaim that your property is 'smart meter free'?

I don't want one here either as am electrosensitive.

Comment

In the end if the Gas or Electric accounts are in tenants name and they pay the bills.

A landlord will not be able to stop a smart meter been fitted as the account is between tenant and utilities supplier, a tenant is also free to choose which supplier they want to use...
                      Thunderbirds are go

Comment

The companies are getting desperate.

I've had 4 texts and 3 emails this weekend telling me that 'my' smart meter is ready for fitting.

I regard these as pretty dodgy marketing as they are worded as a fait-acomplit and imply that you have to make an appointment to get one fitted.
                        Nowhere does it say they are optional.

What's more of a laugh is that they can bombard me with this crap but haven't managed to give me bill and ask for payment for a number of years now.
                        (That's a long, ongoing, story. I reckon I'll be dead before it gets sorted out).

Comment

Every new meter fitted is a smart meter.
                          All the old meters will break or need replacing eventually.

I live on a farm, and the meter for my main power supply is at the edge of a field a long way from the house.
                          A smart meter won't reach that far.
                          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

There are two types of Smart meters

SMETS 1 meters apparently don't work if change utilities supplier and just become a Zombie meter.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/smar...meter-roll-out

I had SMETS 2 installed which should carry on working if I change utilities supplier, Fingers crossed

For reference

https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/news/...ergy-suppliers
                            Last edited by 45002; 11-03-2019, 18:31 PM. Reason: another url added....
                            Thunderbirds are go

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Electrical report queries
                              mystic08
                              I've just had two reports done on a pair of adjoining properties which are fifteen years old. They say the distribution boards are not fire rated as the boxes should be metal (post Grenfell recommendation). Quote for replacement is £450 each. They say the hard wired smoke detectors require replacement....
                              14-03-2019, 17:36 PM
                            • Reply to Electrical report queries
                              Harwood
                              To be fair, sounds like you have engaged him to do a fixed wiring check, this wouldn't cover any intruder alarm or associated equipment.
                              As baldelectrician states, he should test the wiring and accessories to the supply point, but not the equipment itself
                              23-03-2019, 17:59 PM
                            • Emergency Lighting
                              kjarvo89
                              I live in a flat in a block with 4 floors. I pay a service charge and have a long lease.

Recently, the management company has changed the lighting in the communal areas to light switches that you have to push in and last for a few minutes before they pop out. There are 3 switches on my...
                              22-03-2019, 16:58 PM
                            • Reply to Emergency Lighting
                              Harwood
                              Your FRA, under the fire safety order should cover emergency lighting, however your concern seems to be about walking in the now darkened communal area.
                              perhaps the Health and Safety RA may be more appropriate as that must consider trips and falls and should include adequate lighting to prevent....
                              23-03-2019, 17:51 PM
                            • Reply to Emergency Lighting
                              leaseholder64
                              What does the fire risk assessment say? The way the law works is that you have to have a fire risk assessment and comply with it. They law is not prescriptive as to how you make the building safe, so it is not possible to give a definitive answer to your question without having some do a risk assessment...
                              22-03-2019, 18:56 PM
                            • Is this Scam ?? GAS SUPPLY
                              alenuk
                              Dear All

Can you help pls to identify is this letter scam or not

I have been renting the property in London for over 10 years but now suddenly new tenant has received the letter about not having the gas matter in the flat and inspection needed by Surveyor??
                              Does that...
                              GAS SUPPLY
                              10-03-2019, 23:29 PM
                            • Reply to Is this Scam ?? GAS SUPPLY
                              kjarvo89
                              I got a letter the same from {Mod - name removed}. I didn't respond because it looked a bit fishy, but I have seen their van around my area.

I probably should have replied, but it was months ago now and I haven't heard since.
                              22-03-2019, 16:52 PM
                              mystic08
                              Many thanks for the clarification. The reports are therefore valid but I'm unhappy with the bad advice he gave me by saying they didn't need servicing just new batteries. I don't think I'll be using that company again....
                              20-03-2019, 08:48 AM
                              baldelectrician
                              I do a sample dismantling of items- checking EVERY item can introduce faults as you can take a socket off and catch a cable on a screw when putting it back.

I do check all smoke alarms but not burglar alarms as these should have a maintenance contract (I usually check the supply to an intruder...
                              20-03-2019, 04:00 AM
                              JK0
                              Looked inside the alarm boxes?

They don't even look inside socket boxes.
                              17-03-2019, 16:57 PM
                            Working...
                            X