Legionella assessment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legionella assessment

A friend of mine who rents her house in London out told me legionella assessments are now required by law. I have a student flat with a combo boiler in a 1960s ex local authority block of 6 dwellings. Doing my own assessment, I reckon the risk is low as the block is always occupied ( I have a void period of two months in the summer). Is the re any need to get a professional assessment done? My agents have never mentioned it and they are usually proactive when it comes to finding stuff I need to spend money on!

Your friend is wrong.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/myth-bust...legionella.htm
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

This is a subject that is mentioned at our local NLA meetings. If needed, you can do your own assessment and complete a report yourself to document what you have done.

It's worth soaking shower heads in diluted bleach, running all taps if house is empty and making sure water temperature is hot enough on boiler.

Comment

Thanks guys that is reassuring. I appreciate the tips re running water and soaking the shower head. Until I read up on this I thought you got it through drinking the water. I usually go to the property just before the students move in for a “ sparkle clean” so I’ll make sure to run the water etc.

Comment

The original incident was due to water spray from air conditioning water. The route of infection is the lungs not the stomach.

Comment

Drinking water contaminated with legionella won't do you any harm unless you gag/choke and water gets into the lungs. Legionellosis is essentially a lung infection most commonly caused by inhaling contaminated droplets. The bacteria prefers stagnant water and 20-45 degrees to multiply, so as AlexR said running the taps and controlling the water temperature is a good measure. At my workplace I swab the water every week but probably overkill for a residential home.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Electrical report queries
              mystic08
              I've just had two reports done on a pair of adjoining properties which are fifteen years old. They say the distribution boards are not fire rated as the boxes should be metal (post Grenfell recommendation). Quote for replacement is £450 each. They say the hard wired smoke detectors require replacement....
              14-03-2019, 17:36 PM
            • Reply to Electrical report queries
              Harwood
              To be fair, sounds like you have engaged him to do a fixed wiring check, this wouldn't cover any intruder alarm or associated equipment.
              As baldelectrician states, he should test the wiring and accessories to the supply point, but not the equipment itself
              23-03-2019, 17:59 PM
            • Emergency Lighting
              kjarvo89
              I live in a flat in a block with 4 floors. I pay a service charge and have a long lease.

Recently, the management company has changed the lighting in the communal areas to light switches that you have to push in and last for a few minutes before they pop out. There are 3 switches on my...
              22-03-2019, 16:58 PM
            • Reply to Emergency Lighting
              Harwood
              Your FRA, under the fire safety order should cover emergency lighting, however your concern seems to be about walking in the now darkened communal area.
              perhaps the Health and Safety RA may be more appropriate as that must consider trips and falls and should include adequate lighting to prevent....
              23-03-2019, 17:51 PM
            • Reply to Emergency Lighting
              leaseholder64
              What does the fire risk assessment say? The way the law works is that you have to have a fire risk assessment and comply with it. They law is not prescriptive as to how you make the building safe, so it is not possible to give a definitive answer to your question without having some do a risk assessment...
              22-03-2019, 18:56 PM
            • Is this Scam ?? GAS SUPPLY
              alenuk
              Dear All

Can you help pls to identify is this letter scam or not

I have been renting the property in London for over 10 years but now suddenly new tenant has received the letter about not having the gas matter in the flat and inspection needed by Surveyor??
              Does that...
              GAS SUPPLY
              10-03-2019, 23:29 PM
            • Reply to Is this Scam ?? GAS SUPPLY
              kjarvo89
              I got a letter the same from {Mod - name removed}. I didn't respond because it looked a bit fishy, but I have seen their van around my area.

I probably should have replied, but it was months ago now and I haven't heard since.
              22-03-2019, 16:52 PM
              mystic08
              Many thanks for the clarification. The reports are therefore valid but I'm unhappy with the bad advice he gave me by saying they didn't need servicing just new batteries. I don't think I'll be using that company again....
              20-03-2019, 08:48 AM
              baldelectrician
              I do a sample dismantling of items- checking EVERY item can introduce faults as you can take a socket off and catch a cable on a screw when putting it back.

I do check all smoke alarms but not burglar alarms as these should have a maintenance contract (I usually check the supply to an intruder...
              20-03-2019, 04:00 AM
              JK0
              Looked inside the alarm boxes?

They don't even look inside socket boxes.
              17-03-2019, 16:57 PM
            Working...
            X