Fire risk assessment cost

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire risk assessment cost

I am looking at having a professional fire risk assessment done. 4 flats in a converted Georgian town house. I got a grant from the Council some years ago to help with the costs of fire doors, mains alarm system, smoke detectors etc. These are maintained properly as are fire extinguishers.

However, things move on and I feel it may be sensible to look again at all this to ensure all is currently in order. I've had one quote of £450 which I thought was expensive. Is that generally the cost of these things ?

Depends on the persons qualifications. £450 isn't far off for someone who is on a register. It's supply and demand, good quality assessors are in demand. I have friends who run companies who are struggling to find competent people.

Comment

I am getting conflicting advice as to where an assessor needs to assess. For a building split into 4 flats, all of which I own and let out - do I:

1. Have the Assessment done on the whole building including flats.

2. Only the Common Parts plus the doors to the flats.

Different Assessors are giving me different advice - one says the internal parts of the flat are the tenants dwelling and are not covered by legislation. I have smoke alarms etc in them, anyway - but is this correct - that an assessor doesn't need to enter each flat ?

Comment

Is this a section 257 HMO?

If not, the requirement for the common areas is under different legislation from that for the interiors of the flats. The former explicitly requires a fire risk assessment, whilst, for the latter, it is just the case that it may be difficult to show that you have taken adequate precautions without having done one.

For a section 257 HMO, I'm fairly sure everything has to have one.

Even a common areas only assessment will consider the walls of the flats, as well as the doors, but will be very brief on that point, if the flats are purpose built. In your case, they are not purpose built, but if you meet the conditions for not being a section 257 HMO, that would indicate the walls will be a very quick item.

Comment

Hopefully I can give you the definitive answer.

My answer is is based on 15 years as an inspecting officer in the fire service and 3 years as the fire safety manager for a large housing association. We had just over 1000 properties such as yours.

The minimum requirement is a type 1 FRA. (Communal areas). This includes doors as they have a significant impact on the fire safety within the building. Although, a type 1 FRA only requires the assessor to sample the doors not assess all of them. The assessor then makes a judgement.

The internal areas of flats do not fall under the fire safety order but do come under the housing act. There is an exceptions to this -

Where the item item in the flat is provided for the safety of others. This is generally restricted to the fire alarm system in conversions (such as yours) and the internal lobby in purpose built flats.

Other considerations - External fire spread (post Grenfell) and external balconies, the assessor should take into account anything stored on balconies that would encourage fire spread.

Conversion aren't to difficult to complete. Look at the examples D10 or D11 of in Lacors

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

So - as each flat have a sounder and a smoke alarm (hard wired) does that mean the assessment should include internal areas ?

Comment

Having a communal alarm system at all generally means that the flats are not adequately isolated from the communal areas.

Typically, in this situation, the smoke alarm in the flat should not be connected to the communal system. (Typically the sounder is attached to a heat alarm.)

Comment

Originally posted by Knocker View Post
                Thanks for the replies.

So - as each flat have a sounder and a smoke alarm (hard wired) does that mean the assessment should include internal areas ?
                Because your flats were converted before 1991 they won't have been provided with adequate separation between the flats. To compensate for this you need a detection system. This consists of -

A detection system in the communal areas (Smoke) technical spec is LD2 Grade A system to BS5839 Part 6. This should have an interconnected heat detector in each flat. The purpose is to raise the alarm throughout the building. The must be a decibel level of 75 at the bedhead.

Also, each flat must have a standalone smoke detector in the hallway. This is to alert the person in the flat of fire origin only. This would have decibel level of 83 at the open door to the bedroom.

Comment

As you are renting the flats on short leases, you would be responsible for their fire safety, even if they were in an purpose built flat. You need to do some sort of risk assessment to ensure their safety.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Electrical report queries
                    mystic08
                    I've just had two reports done on a pair of adjoining properties which are fifteen years old. They say the distribution boards are not fire rated as the boxes should be metal (post Grenfell recommendation). Quote for replacement is £450 each. They say the hard wired smoke detectors require replacement....
                    14-03-2019, 17:36 PM
                  • Reply to Electrical report queries
                    Harwood
                    To be fair, sounds like you have engaged him to do a fixed wiring check, this wouldn't cover any intruder alarm or associated equipment.
                    As baldelectrician states, he should test the wiring and accessories to the supply point, but not the equipment itself
                    23-03-2019, 17:59 PM
                  • Emergency Lighting
                    kjarvo89
                    I live in a flat in a block with 4 floors. I pay a service charge and have a long lease.

Recently, the management company has changed the lighting in the communal areas to light switches that you have to push in and last for a few minutes before they pop out. There are 3 switches on my...
                    22-03-2019, 16:58 PM
                  • Reply to Emergency Lighting
                    Harwood
                    Your FRA, under the fire safety order should cover emergency lighting, however your concern seems to be about walking in the now darkened communal area.
                    perhaps the Health and Safety RA may be more appropriate as that must consider trips and falls and should include adequate lighting to prevent....
                    23-03-2019, 17:51 PM
                  • Reply to Emergency Lighting
                    leaseholder64
                    What does the fire risk assessment say? The way the law works is that you have to have a fire risk assessment and comply with it. They law is not prescriptive as to how you make the building safe, so it is not possible to give a definitive answer to your question without having some do a risk assessment...
                    22-03-2019, 18:56 PM
                  • Is this Scam ?? GAS SUPPLY
                    alenuk
                    Dear All

Can you help pls to identify is this letter scam or not

I have been renting the property in London for over 10 years but now suddenly new tenant has received the letter about not having the gas matter in the flat and inspection needed by Surveyor??
                    Does that...
                    GAS SUPPLY
                    10-03-2019, 23:29 PM
                  • Reply to Is this Scam ?? GAS SUPPLY
                    kjarvo89
                    I got a letter the same from {Mod - name removed}. I didn't respond because it looked a bit fishy, but I have seen their van around my area.

I probably should have replied, but it was months ago now and I haven't heard since.
                    22-03-2019, 16:52 PM
                    mystic08
                    Many thanks for the clarification. The reports are therefore valid but I'm unhappy with the bad advice he gave me by saying they didn't need servicing just new batteries. I don't think I'll be using that company again....
                    20-03-2019, 08:48 AM
                    baldelectrician
                    I do a sample dismantling of items- checking EVERY item can introduce faults as you can take a socket off and catch a cable on a screw when putting it back.

I do check all smoke alarms but not burglar alarms as these should have a maintenance contract (I usually check the supply to an intruder...
                    20-03-2019, 04:00 AM
                    JK0
                    Looked inside the alarm boxes?

They don't even look inside socket boxes.
                    17-03-2019, 16:57 PM
                  Working...
                  X