Llandlords prepayment meters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Llandlords prepayment meters

We have some properties where electricity board will not install separate supplies, so for many years we have paid total electricity a/c but have installed our own £1- coin prepayment meters, this works o.k except that of course someone has job of calling and emptying meters, doing and arranging this can be time consuming.And of course there is possibility of theft although this has only happened four times in 30 years. Have looked into card operated meters but using pay point the cost would be very high, has anyone experience of using a system that works and at reasonable cost ?
    Opinions given are mine, They are not necessarily correct, as the more I learn the less I know, You should always seek professional help.

I have installed Meterpay (Stephen Wales meters). Works well, all online/phone and has fraud detection built in. So far no issues.

Comment

thanks will look at these now. After checking out, still seems a large annual subscription at £ 79 - per unit I know less than pay point which were quoting £183 per year
      Opinions given are mine, They are not necessarily correct, as the more I learn the less I know, You should always seek professional help.

Comment

Yes but this can be passed on to the tenant through the electric rate (the tenant also pays the charge per top up - c20p). The rules as I understand (and S Wales) is that you cannot make profit but equally you should not be losing money.

I have had them 6 months and happy with so far considering the lack of hassle the system brings.

Comment

Thank you letmein for the info you have given which is very helpful, something we will have to consider, another problem i can envisage though is that if mobile network was down, and no internet access, top up would not be possible.

Comment

I think they work on global network (i.e they can use O2, Vodafone, three - all uk networks). Maybe one to ask S Wales.

I've had no issues with tenants complaining they are unable to top up (so fat at least!)

They are not cheap, but you pay for reduced hassle.

You can get discount through S wales if you buy a number of them.

Comment

If the ternant refuses to top up the gas meter as she has a debt on it, when the GSC is due am I responsible?

Comment

Originally posted by Jmanville View Post
                If the ternant refuses to top up the gas meter as she has a debt on it, when the GSC is due am I responsible?
                Yes, same thing happened to me, had to get gas on to test,(but you only need to put small amount on, as only a small percentage of top up goes towards debt) then cost me an extra £80 + as boiler had seized up as had not been used for a while

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X