Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas safety certificate and carrying out in advance

Hi all,

I normally have my gas safety checks carried out about 2 to 3 weeks prior to expiry, and so loose a bit each year just in case of any problems.

I was therefore interested in the new MOT style option (gas safety installation and use regs 2018) which allowed landlords to carry out these checks upto 2 months before expiry whilst still retaining the original expiry date.

I therefore booked in my usual engineer to carry out three checks 6 weeks early, however the paperwork he provided only has an option for recording the date of the check, when I questionned him he said that he has not seen any new forms. My point to him was that the form should state the date of the inspection and seperately the date of expiry i.e. + 6 weeks.

I just wanted to check other landlords experiences with this as I suspect a new style form must be in circulation and my engineer still has the old ones, if not this is pointless as if you were required to evidence the checks it would be very messy to say it was carried out on the 30/9/18 but actually expires on the 15/11/18, and then have to send in the old form as evidence etc.

So basically it looks like I have paid for the check early and lost out on about 6 weeks of 'test' x 3 properties which is not huge but still is about £20 for no benefit!

Cheers

Just to clarify or add a bit more detail, the forms I have been given state "next gas safety check must be carried out within 12 months" so as the tenants receive this as well it would be a pain trying to convince them that actually its ok to carry it out 14 months later!

Comment

Not much you can do my friend, other than make sure that next year you don't use the f***wit with the expired forms.

Comment

Pads of updated certificates with a space for 'next safety check due by:' have been widely available for a while, even before the legislation came in.

https://www.corgi-direct.com/landlor...-17950-3421009
        https://www.gassafetyshop.co.uk/prod...d-Personalised
        https://www.logic4trade.co.uk/gas-sa...rlgsrpad2.html

Of course your guy may have a load of old certificates (or bought a load cheap because they are old stock?).

Comment

Hi both, and thanks for the confirmation. Yes I guess the engineer either buys about 5 years of certificates in advance, or bought a load very cheaply!

Comment

Originally posted by bobcat View Post
            Hi all,

I normally have my gas safety checks carried out about 2 to 3 weeks prior to expiry, and so loose a bit each year just in case of any problems.
            er... the law changed in April. You can now do them up to 2 months in advance with the same expiry date as the last.

Comment

It does raise an interesting thought

If it's now OK to do gas safety inspections 2 months in advance, then that means it could be 14 months between actual inspections.
              Of course that shouldn't happen as future inspections will also be done 'early'.

But it still means that they now deem it safe for a possible 14 months to pass between inspections.

So it would have been just the same to let you have 2 months leeway after the old one ran out to get a new one done and backdate it to when the old one ran out. (The backdating is important or everyone would only do it every 14 months to get 2 months 'free').

It would still be the same possible 14 months between inspections.
              But in this case it would be safer because the inspection would say it's still safe after the 14 months period had passed.

Comment

To get the full 14 months, you have to to it exactly two months before an existing one runs out. The expiry date is only ever 12 months since the last one ran out. What this is avoiding is the opposite effect, where you have to do them at approximately 11 month intervals.

Comment

Agreed it's only ever 12 months on the certificate dates. And is an improvement on the old system as you say.

I was just pointing out that it would have been possible to put the 2 months 'leeway' either side of the expiry date without making any real difference to the possible maximum period between actual inspections.

In reality it's the inspection that matters for safety, not the certificate.

(In fact from a purely safety point of view it would make more sense to allow late inspections, that way the equipment is inspected at the end of a possible 14 month break not before one. And if inspected 2 months late then it could only ever be a maximum of 12 months till the next one even if that was also done late).

Or they could have made it one month before to one month following expiry - as long as the certificates have contiguous dates it would not make any difference to the possible maximum period between actual inspections.

Overall it makes no real difference to the certification, if you get it done correctly.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X