X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tatemono
    started a topic Pond safety

Pond safety

so we have a very small pond - maybe three to four feet long and about two feet deep at the most. We'd like to keep it because it's in a property we are likely to return to as our retirement home in the next couple of years, and we dug it out ourselves. So far, we've only ever let to people without kids or kids old enough not to try breathing underwater while playing in the garden.

Now, though, we have a guy about to move in with two girls 8 and 9 years old. He's passed referencing and obviously saw the property as is and didn't object. However, the letting agent is advising us to get rid of the pond which we're loathe to do. Obviously, they're trying to cover themselves.

We're thinking of getting a handyman we know to knock together a wooden/chicken wire frame to put over it. We're also thinking of asking him to sign some form of disclaimer so that he won't hold us liable if the worst happens. But something in me tells me that would not look good in court should it ever come to that.

Any thoughts?

• Mrs Mug
    replied
    Sorry for the late reply, but haven't been able to post on the forum for days.

Have you looked into a pond safety net, such as in the link below, instead of cobbling something together with chicken wire.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BULLNETS-..._ez4q3dCLT736g

Leave a comment:

• tatemono
    replied
    thanks for the advice everyone

Leave a comment:

• Gandolf
    replied
    Way I would look at is realistically yes kids shouldn’t play in it fall in it trip into it etc. Could you live with yourself if kid was playing tripped hot head and drowned. Sorry know you want to go back there but I’d get rid

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    Get rid, no matter who tenants are

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    Drain it and fill it with sand.
    Sandpit for the kids, nice feature.

Dig the sand out and make a pond again if/when you move back.

Leave a comment:

• Gandolf
    replied
    chicken wooden frame over it if they fall in then, they will really be in trouble

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Faulty staircase help
    Mameuk
    I have fallen through my top step in private rented home where me my partner and our 5 month old have lived for 8months. I need advice on a few things if possible?

First is this we put together 6 months of rent in advance which the agents thought at the beggining of tenancy was up front...
    16-07-2019, 06:54 AM
  • Reply to Faulty staircase help
    leaseholder64
    Having a wear and tear diagnosis is good for you and doesn't invalidate the landlord's safety responsibilities.

Being ruled wear and tear means you can't be made to pay for the repairs.
    16-07-2019, 10:10 AM
  • Reply to Faulty staircase help
    Mameuk
    16-07-2019, 06:56 AM
  • Asbestos
    bananas
    Hi, just wondered if anyone knows anything about the legal liabilities for asbestos. We own one flat in a converted block. When we refurbished our flat, we found asbestos, and had it removed professionally, and because it was notifiable, that meant the full bells and whistles treatment (and bill)...
    02-07-2019, 20:47 PM
  • Reply to Asbestos
    leaseholder64
    If it is very high risk, it is probably asbestos millboard, rather than asbestos insulation board. The latter can sometimes be removed by non-licensed contractors, although is still subject to legislation.
    02-07-2019, 22:47 PM
  • Reply to Asbestos
    bananas
    Thank you - that is an interesting point about the management survey. I don't know whether it's called insulation board, probably is. I just know that it is the most dangerous stuff. Originally we all thought is was hardboard, and it was only when a sheet of it was unscrewed to do a job on a stopcock,...
    02-07-2019, 22:22 PM
  • Reply to Asbestos
    leaseholder64
    The responsible person, presumably the management company, is supposed to have carried out an asbestos management survey.

The proposed removal method would be illegal. It must be done by a licensed contractor and any vacuum cleaner would need to have a special, high performance, filter....
    02-07-2019, 22:02 PM
  • Reply to Asbestos
    bananas
    The reason we can't leave it is because we need access to the pipes and wires - work is needed on the fire alarm panel/wires, plus plumbing can't be done - there's no point waiting for a leak and then not being able to instruct a plumber. Plus the area needs re-decorating (the asbestos is damaged and...
    02-07-2019, 21:49 PM
  • Reply to Asbestos
    JK0
    I think there is less of a health risk by leaving well alone than by disturbing it.
    02-07-2019, 21:20 PM
  • Circuit boards
    Samsmum
    I am a director of a resident management company. One of our directors, an ex electrical engineer , ( not registered with a competent persons scheme ) has fitted circuit boards without having them certified. He has told me we can not force residents to have them certified. My question is : how responsible...
    30-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Working...
X