Changing a wall light switch myself

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing a wall light switch myself

A dimmer switch has failed in my rental property and needs replacing. I'm no electrician but as this is as simple as it gets I was going to replace it myself. However, my wife is adamant that it is now the law that in a rental property anything electrical, no matter how trivial, must be performed by a qualified electrician. Is she correct?

Is your wife going to pay the £50 to £100 for that?

Crack on mate.

Comment

No she is not correct. Obviously you need to be certain that you know what you are doing.

Comment

Andrew raises an interesting point...

I'm just imagining if Frank & Betty Spencer were landlords. Frank would probably have written exactly what o/p did.

Comment

Thought so, thanks for your replies. Just so I can keep her quiet is there something online thats ‘official’ I can point her to?

Comment

What you are describing would be classified as minor works. A competent DIYer could do it. However, reading the guidance, strictly speaking you should get a qualified person to check your work and issue a minor works certificate. In the real world, if you pay an electrician to check your work, you may as well pay him to do the installation in the first place...

​​​​Down to you to interpret the guidance as you see fit.

See the articles by NLA or RLA i.e. https://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/guid...l_safety.shtml

Comment

Great, thanks. In fact the article she was using as 'proof' states quite clearly that minor works, like changing a light socket, fall out or Part P regulations.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X