Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire doors

Hi All,
    I'll be looking to rent out my property to 4 different individuals which will not require a HMO license.
    I would like to know if I need to change the kitchen door to a fire door or indeed if all the doors need to changed to fire doors.

thank you.

I think you should post in the HMO section.

Comment

Not sure yours, my from my local area (extended licensing) HMO required all sleeping areas and fire escapes routes to be protected from fire for up to 30minutes, this means I needed to add fire doors to the kitchen and all bedrooms, living room was fine as it was not part of the fire escape route.

Comment

The need for fire doors depends on the detailed layout and construction. It will also vary with councils.

However, the general assumption is that HMO tenants will not help other tenants to escape.

Comment

Originally posted by bassmonster View Post
          I'll be looking to rent out my property to 4 different individuals which will not require a HMO license.
          I would like to know if I need to change the kitchen door to a fire door or indeed if all the doors need to changed to fire doors.
          The Fire Risk Assessment you are required to carry out because it's an HMO will confirm what needs to be done.

Don't forget all the other HMO related legislation that applies, even though no licence is required.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Faulty staircase help
            Mameuk
            I have fallen through my top step in private rented home where me my partner and our 5 month old have lived for 8months. I need advice on a few things if possible?

First is this we put together 6 months of rent in advance which the agents thought at the beggining of tenancy was up front...
            16-07-2019, 06:54 AM
          • Reply to Faulty staircase help
            leaseholder64
            Having a wear and tear diagnosis is good for you and doesn't invalidate the landlord's safety responsibilities.

Being ruled wear and tear means you can't be made to pay for the repairs.
            16-07-2019, 10:10 AM
          • Reply to Faulty staircase help
            Mameuk
            16-07-2019, 06:56 AM
          • Asbestos
            bananas
            Hi, just wondered if anyone knows anything about the legal liabilities for asbestos. We own one flat in a converted block. When we refurbished our flat, we found asbestos, and had it removed professionally, and because it was notifiable, that meant the full bells and whistles treatment (and bill)...
            02-07-2019, 20:47 PM
          • Reply to Asbestos
            leaseholder64
            If it is very high risk, it is probably asbestos millboard, rather than asbestos insulation board. The latter can sometimes be removed by non-licensed contractors, although is still subject to legislation.
            02-07-2019, 22:47 PM
          • Reply to Asbestos
            bananas
            Thank you - that is an interesting point about the management survey. I don't know whether it's called insulation board, probably is. I just know that it is the most dangerous stuff. Originally we all thought is was hardboard, and it was only when a sheet of it was unscrewed to do a job on a stopcock,...
            02-07-2019, 22:22 PM
          • Reply to Asbestos
            leaseholder64
            The responsible person, presumably the management company, is supposed to have carried out an asbestos management survey.

The proposed removal method would be illegal. It must be done by a licensed contractor and any vacuum cleaner would need to have a special, high performance, filter....
            02-07-2019, 22:02 PM
          • Reply to Asbestos
            bananas
            The reason we can't leave it is because we need access to the pipes and wires - work is needed on the fire alarm panel/wires, plus plumbing can't be done - there's no point waiting for a leak and then not being able to instruct a plumber. Plus the area needs re-decorating (the asbestos is damaged and...
            02-07-2019, 21:49 PM
          • Reply to Asbestos
            JK0
            I think there is less of a health risk by leaving well alone than by disturbing it.
            02-07-2019, 21:20 PM
          • Circuit boards
            Samsmum
            I am a director of a resident management company. One of our directors, an ex electrical engineer , ( not registered with a competent persons scheme ) has fitted circuit boards without having them certified. He has told me we can not force residents to have them certified. My question is : how responsible...
            30-06-2019, 09:02 AM
          Working...
          X