Electrical Inspection Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Inspection Question

My last electrical inspection was carried out almost 5 years ago August 2013. I have a tenancy change over in a couple of weeks. I am deliberating whether to have an electrical check carried out during this period or hold fire as I believe there are new Mandatory 5 year checks currently under consultation. If I left it I could ensure that I complied with anything else required.
    I have changed my mind a couple of times, so would appreciate hearing what you would do under the circumstances.

If it's an HMO (including those that does not have to be licensed), then you are required to have the checks every 5 years already.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

KTC - Sorry should have mentioned, it's not a HMO or in a compulsory license area - 1 Bedroom flat.

Comment

When the mandatory checks arrive, there will be a flurry of bottom feeding middlemen who will carry out these checks, and electricians will be inundated with plenty of spurious work, 98% of which will contribute nothing at all to safety.

Yet another blow to tenants.

I would be inclined to wait (assuming you think your electrical facilities are safe), and then effectively charge the fees and works to tenants as usual.

According to the Guardian there are about 35 electrocution deaths in the UK per year in men and about 2 in women (that discrepancy alone is pretty informative). It is not clear how many of those are in the home, and within those how many are in the private rental sector --- and then even more relevant -- how many of those would be prevented by such "checks". I suggest the number saved approaches zero. But a lot of money will be made, and a lot of money will be spent (at the end of the day by tenants).

1994-37 deaths.
        1995-42.
        1996-36.
        1997-39.
        1998-37.
        1999-50.
        2000-41.
        2001-34.
        2002-24.
        2003-25.

It is all a farce

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
          According to the Guardian there are about 35 electrocution deaths in the UK per year in men and about 2 in women (that discrepancy alone is pretty informative).
          I would have thought most danger would come from fire, not electrocution.

Comment

AndrewDod - how do you get your tenants to pay for this type of work?

Comment

Originally posted by shearne View Post
              AndrewDod - how do you get your tenants to pay for this type of work?
              You charge higher rent. At the end of that day that is what happens anyway - costs get passed on to the end user in any business.

Comment

Originally posted by alex1 View Post

I would have thought most danger would come from fire, not electrocution.
                Indeed, but almost all (not 100% but nearly 100%) of electrical fires are caused by electrical products not wiring. These checks and their basis are not to do with products.

Comment

AndrewDod - alas even in London there is a ceiling to rents being charged and increases don't appear to be keeping abreast with the extra costs to keep up with legislation and tax cuts. Hey ho the joys of being a landlord. Would be interesting to know what % of fires are down to tenant's electrical products vs domestic appliances (including the ones which have been in the press).

Comment

There is no ceiling. But there are lags and imperfect mirroring over a short timescale.

As far as I know (but have not looked in to it) the proposals have nothing to do with appliances (which of course can change over a much shorter timescale and have their own areas of legislation which already apply).

If nanny politicians really wanted to reduce fires (a very worthy goal) they would prohibit tenants from smoking, ban Christmas trees and ban candles. Or at least make any of these an instantly evictable offense...

Comment

Perhaps I should get in quick as once the 5 year checks come into effect electricians will be so in demand, there will be no ceiling on their charges
                      Agree AndrewDod

Comment

Originally posted by shearne View Post
                        Perhaps I should get in quick as once the 5 year checks come into effect electricians will be so in demand, there will be no ceiling on their charges
                        Agree AndrewDod
                        You currently have a satisfactory electrical check- this is likely to mean that it can pass another one

There are many voices of doom and gloom (as an electrician I am quite busy at the moment with landlord checks as they are mandatory in Scotland) but in a nutshell; if something bad were to happen then you can wave a certificate that shows you took reasonable steps to make things safe for your tenant

Least of all- it gives any insurance company one less thing to delay / procrastinate over.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X