Smoke Detectors Cant be Checked

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke Detectors Cant be Checked

I've just bought a property that was an old school house. It has been completely refurbished but the smoke detectors seem to be in the craziest positions where it is near impossible to either test them or stop them when they go off because they are so high. Does some form of extendable rod exist that would make it feasible for my tenants to check them regularly? Any help appreciated.

Bamboo garden cane to poke the button with?

6ft ones - pack of 10 from B&M for £2.99
    https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/...ft-10pk-270237

You can usually buy just 1 or 2 from a local irnmongers or garden centre.

You can get 8ft ones if 6ft isn't long enough.

You are still going to need a ladder at some stage to change the batteries/sensor heads.

Comment

if it's your property, why not get someone in to relocate them?

Comment

Use a billiard cue. My uncle used one as a TV remote control.

Comment

Hi Chris,

Do you have a fire alarm panel? If so get the system serviced by a local company. If you are unsure let me know.

Comment

It sounds like you may have a domestic smoke detector system which if you are planning on renting out the property may not currently comply. Are the detectors mains powered with battery back up, how old are they (if they are ionizing type they generally only last 10 years), best you either look up current fire regs or ask someones advice.

And for high smoke detectors, you can buy smoke pellets you light and stick on a tin on the end of any handy long pole you happen to have!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X