wired in smoke alarms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wired in smoke alarms

Do wired in smoke alarms have to be replaced by law regularly even though they work perfectly ok? Two in one of my houses I have just discovered have a sticker inside saying they should be replaced every 10 years. The house was built in 2002.

apparently "dust gathers inside smoke detector, desensitizing the sensors."

Comment

Yes I vacuumed the dust out and changed the batteries and they are working.I need to know because i don't want to negate my insurance by not following the law about electrical safety

Comment

How do you know they "work perfectly ok". Presume you realise that the beep that is emitted when you test a fire alarm has nothing at all to do with them working perfectly OK. That just tests the beep, it does not test the detector.

Comment

I tested them by burning toast and it set them off,so i know they work. I want to know how the law stands as far as having them replaced at whatever interval is necessary

Comment

The law is that they must be adequately maintained. Ignoring the manufacturers instructions is likely to put you in a weak position, especially if it turns out it doesn't go off, or was ignored as the result of false alarms, and someone comes to serious harm in a fire.

Note that the chances of tenants testing weekly are negligible.

Also, I think most mains powered alarms are designed to allow the head to be replaced without disturbing the wiring. I think adaptors to allow this, in future, for some older models are available.

Comment

Thank you leaseholder64 for finally getting an answer to my question. i have asked two electricians for quotes to renew them, so It will be interesting to see what they come up with

Comment

Ionizing detectors especially do "wear out" over time which is why most detectors have a 10 year limit on them.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X