Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire in Bathroom?

Morning

I am pretty certain that the electric fire that I have found in a property recently visited is not legal, but am struggling with the landlady, as she is adamant that it is fine. I really need to show her some sort of proof in writing before she will accept the recommendation. They also have a normal 3 spot light fitting in there, on a high ceiling but in a very steamy bathroom with out ventilation.
    Can somebody point me in the right direction?

There are no showers or baths in your photograph, so it is not possible to tell whether it complies with current regulations. See http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-...-701/index.cfm for a summary.

Comment

Most houses in the sixties had those sort of fires in the bathroom. One of mine still has. They are fine. Are you a prospective tenant, letting agent, or EHO?

Comment

As far as I am aware, and I am not an electrician, outside zone 2 there is no special requirements. If that fire is not within 60cm of a basin/shower/bath (or right above) it will thus be OK. Same for the lights.

Steam to ceiling lights may cause a failure but is not dangerous (hence no requirements, I suppose).

Comment

How badly do you want this instruction? (assuming you're an agent)

Comment

Nice to know my generic Clerk info is OK. >60cms of a water source seems to be the general guideline!

Comment

I'm a newbie property manager, and it is in a bathroom with a bath, I thought that a non sealed electrical item was deemed unsafe?

Comment

Originally posted by sharplearningcurve View Post
                I'm a newbie property manager, and it is in a bathroom with a bath, I thought that a non sealed electrical item was deemed unsafe?
                Only if it can be touched from the bath or shower, to the first approximation. Even sockets are allowed, as long as they are sufficiently far away that, with normal cable lengths, anything plugged in will be unreachable form bat or shower.

Comment

Originally posted by sharplearningcurve View Post
                  Read careful the contents of the link leaseholder64 provided.

Comment

The fire seems a bit close to the bulkhead above IMO. What a dinosaur of a bathroom! Woodchip on walls!!

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Ask to see a copy of the landlords EICR which should be valid within the last 5 years and see if the report lists any issues with the light and heater. As above, you can't see where the bath is or how large the room is but generally most bathroom lights are sealed to IP4x these days due to their distance from the bath/shower. However the EICR will note anything that requires correcting. If it has a C1 or C2 coded item, the landlord should have done something about it. If it is C3 it is just a recommendation.

I suspect by the sounds of it she will not have any kind of Electrical Installation Condition report in the first place

Comment

Council came and looked at it and LL had to remove completely.

Comment

Light and the heater both?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X