Interim landlord energy supplier

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interim landlord energy supplier

As above, I'm wondering what my best option is for an energy supplier in between tenants. This is complicated slightly because my last tenant left several months ago and the property is still empty, and I have only just got in touch with the current supplier to notify them that I am now responsible. I expected they would default the bills to me as the council does, but apparently not.

In essence my question is can I choose a different supplier in a backdated fashion to when my last tenant left several months ago, or am I stuck with their supplier? Also, it appears there are exit penalties with most suppliers, and as I obviously hope to have new tenants in the near future I want to avoid that.

Is there a kind of interim landlord tariff available anywhere where they don't tie you in long term, and can I back date the start of this to when my last tenant left?

I can't see the utility company allowing you to backdate a tariff.

You can choose to switch a to any supplier have a look at uswitch.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You will have amassed even a small debt for standing charges and it is therefore unlikely the provider will allow you to change suppliers until that debt is cleared.

There are some companies that will take over the energy supply and take on the debt but this is also unlikely and is subject to agreement of the current provider.

What are you hoping to gain by backdating the changeover?. You were contracted to that company and are therefore liable to their charges until the date you cancel

Comment

To avoid any exit fees just don't take any offers or fixed rates. Any standard tariff and you should not be tied in.

Comment

Originally posted by Wright76 View Post
          What are you hoping to gain by backdating the changeover?. You were contracted to that company and are therefore liable to their charges until the date you cancel
          I just want to avoid an early exit fee when a new tenant moves in.

I'll check the tariff to make sure no exit fee applies.

Comment

It probably won't if it's a standard tariff. Exit fees kick in when people take out fixed rates etc

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X