Double glazing crack inside

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Double glazing crack inside

    Hello,

    I rent through an agency and today I noticed that there is a long crack on one of the double glazing unit in the living room. I have no idea what caused it, but a few days ago it wasn't there. It seems like inner glass of the double glazing unit cracked diagonally. Curtains are always shut on that window as there is a footpath close to it and I just opened them to clean when I noticed the crack. I don't think my 2y old could have caused it as there is no access for him to the window(obstructed by furniture) and he is always supervised.
    Who is responsible for the repair? Also one of the double glazing in the bedroom upstairs has quite a lot of condensation since I rented the property and was highlighted on initial inventory thing. Should I ask for a repair?

    This is first time I rent the property in the United Kingdom and I want to be a responsible tenant. Please advice.

    I have been living in the property since december 2016 and after may 2017 there is like monthly rolling contract in place.

    Thank you

    #2
    Sorry to clarify - your title confuses me a little, are you saying the crack is on the inside pane of glass or the outside?

    Re: the double glazing condensation, you can request but they have no obligation to fix this.
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

    Comment


      #3
      Thank you for your reply. The crack is on the inside panel of the double glazing unit. So inner glass of the unit is cracked diagonally and is quite big. But no obvious sign of damage. The crack is going from one corner to the other diagonally...

      Comment


        #4
        I think you would struggle to say that would be anything other than the tenants responsibility.

        If you genuinely believe you did not cause the damage then you should at least make the landlord aware of this and see what they say. If I was the landlord though I would be classing it as tenant damage I'm afraid.
        Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

        Comment


          #5
          Write to landlord, copy agent, keep copy about this. Explain as far as you know not your responsibility, please fix. See if they bill you.

          I doubt they could prove it was caused by you. But they can evict you, for no reason at all, using s21 of 1988 Housing Act, so perhaps some compromise may be wise
          I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by MrShed View Post
            I think you would struggle to say that would be anything other than the tenants responsibility.

            If you genuinely believe you did not cause the damage then you should at least make the landlord aware of this and see what they say. If I was the landlord though I would be classing it as tenant damage I'm afraid.
            Thank you. I think I will just replace the unit. Should I arrange that or should landlord arrange that and I pay?

            Comment


              #7
              it's quite possibly thermal stress - is it south or west facing? If it's fairly new double glazing, it may be covered by a guarantee (but don't expect that to be easy!).
              It should also be covered by buildings insurance, although you may be expected to pay the excess.
              http://pressroom.pella.com/fast_fact...w-window-crack

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by redcherry View Post
                Thank you. I think I will just replace the unit. Should I arrange that or should landlord arrange that and I pay?
                Get in touch with the landlord and offer to replace the unit.
                They may prefer to get someone else to do it and charge you (some landlord's don't like tenant's doing their own repairs).
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

                Comment


                  #9
                  Thank you everybody, the window is always on sun during the day. It doesn't look like new or near to it. I think it was there for a while. Anyway I am going to see the agency and see what they will tell and if needed will handle the cost of new glass.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    It is not necessarily the tenant's fault. The double glazing in my bathroom cracked in the same way in my own home. At the same time the window in the bedroom started getting condensation on the inside. Both these windows face south and had been in for some years. If I was the landlord I would question myself as to whether the windows were past there sell by date.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by redcherry View Post
                      Thank you everybody, the window is always on sun during the day. It doesn't look like new or near to it. I think it was there for a while. Anyway I am going to see the agency and see what they will tell and if needed will handle the cost of new glass.
                      Don't do this if it wasn't your fault as your landlord has no right to betterment

                      Comment


                        #12
                        It is NOT betterment.
                        Even with a single glazed unit if a pane is cracked (stress fracture) but the glass intact, it still functions as a window, though it may be a future hazard.
                        LL is resp for window repairs, but may charge T. D/g repair is not just a single pane of glass but a new d/g unit.+ fitting.
                        You must report it to LL. See whether he charges you for T damage.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                          Get in touch with the landlord and offer to replace the unit.
                          They may prefer to get someone else to do it and charge you (some landlord's don't like tenant's doing their own repairs).
                          This. Talk to the landlord, explain that its cracked, no idea how as nothing has been done, possible thermal stress? And make it clear that you will cover replacement and see if they have a preferred supplier/company to use or want to arrange the work?

                          If my tenants approached me like this (open, upfront, honest but accepting that its possibly something they did) and were normally no issue I would probably offer to go halves/cover the cost this time and I would want to choose the company used to do it (usually a local window company, no reason other than they have been good in the past)..

                          Seems fair.

                          If I found out at the next inspection/end of tenancy then it would feel like they were hiding it, so they would get billed/deductions for it.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Why would/should a tenant pay for a repair to something that may not be his fault and simply due to the age of the window?
                            The seal has gone in a window in one of my flats. I simply point it out to the incoming tenant saying I am aware. I wouldn't have dreamt of charging the outgoing tenant for a new unit.
                            As I said before, surely the age of the window must be taken into account. Or is it just the tenant's bad luck that the windows fail during his tenancy.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by mariner View Post
                              It is NOT betterment.
                              Even with a single glazed unit if a pane is cracked (stress fracture) but the glass intact, it still functions as a window, though it may be a future hazard.
                              LL is resp for window repairs, but may charge T. D/g repair is not just a single pane of glass but a new d/g unit.+ fitting.
                              You must report it to LL. See whether he charges you for T damage.
                              Glass is metastable and doesn't last a lifetime due to environmental factors and age must always be considered if a LL is expecting a replacement at the cost of T's pocket. The tenant isn't from this country and is reliant on information posted here on a biased LL forum (which is to be expected I guess).

                              Comment

                              Latest Activity

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X