tenant damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tenant damage

Monday - tenants inform me they have no water. I'm away so advise them to ask neighbours and call water company as that's what it sounds like. I am right, water later restored.

Tuesday - tenant informs me water is coming through her ceiling (in huge storm we had 2 weeks ago) I advise to check upstairs as its another bedroom. She says I was right and the window was wide open all day both carpets soaking and damage to woodwork and extensive water markings on her ceiling, coving, walls etc.

Wednesday - tenant advises of leak in the kitchen, cant see where from but says water under cooker & on surfaces under boiler. I call plumber, he cant identify any leak but boiler valves had been fully opened so the pressure was very high to the boiler.

Tenant leaving window open has moved out (as planned) - do I bill him for the water damage and point out he is an idiot when the whole country is on flood alert, or comments please! Bear in mind he told the tenants below him it had been sorted and found to be his radiator leaking when they water came back on after they had no supply on Monday & I also suspect he turned the boiler valves on to cover his tracks as id checked them the week before!! he has not communicated with me in any way about this or since.

Pointless, as T will dispute it, and adjudicator will award you buttons. Just be glad the f***wit is no longer your problem.

Comment

So HMO presumably if a different tenant upstairs. So who checked them out? Tenant can claim they left the window closed and what proof is there they left it open?

Comment

Originally posted by mylifestory View Post
        Wednesday - tenant advises of leak in the kitchen, cant see where from but says water under cooker & on surfaces under boiler. I call plumber, he cant identify any leak but boiler valves had been fully opened so the pressure was very high to the boiler..
        This doesn't make sense to me. If it is just a central heating boiler, it will either be, the old, open vent type of system, or a sealed system.

For an open vent system, the feed pressure will be limited by the height of the header tank, and any over pressure will cause it to pump over, back into the header tank, so will be limited by the height of the overflow pipe.

If it is a fully sealed system, over pressure will open the safety valve, and the water will be discharged to outside. Although it is common to leave the filling loop in place, the filling loop should actually be disconnected when not in use, so there should be no new supply of water.

In both cases, all water valves to the boiler should be fully open in normal use (obviously the filling one for a sealed system should be closed, but then the filling loop shouldn't be connected). Any manual gas valve should also be fully open. The only remaining controls are the thermostats, but any resulting over-pressure should go to the header tank or to outside, as already described. For a fully sealed system, an overhead will also trip an overheat cutoff.

I don't have direct experience of combi boilers, but the hot water outlet being closed whilst the inlet is open to any degree will mean that the internal pressure is full mains pressure.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X