Mice in the flat - what to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
    I wonder if people here actually know about mice! They will go into a property where there is no food, although normally only in winter. They bring in and store seeds. They need water and shelter as well as food and it's important to make sure there are no water sources. They can get through 1/4 inch spaces so mesh any airbricks and you need to check any pipes going through a wall as small gaps can open up around them unless properly sealed - all this via a professional giving advice on a property I owned. So you need a concerted effort by landlord and tenant to stop them getting in, deny them food and water and if they arent breeding indoors check places outside. They will breed in compost bins if there is a garden.

As a landlord I would expect to have the property clean before a tenant moved in and the tenant to keep it clean afterwards. If I was a judge, or deposit adjudicator ruling on this, I'd want to see the pest control guys written statement about previous infestation, the inventory for the property and what it said about cleanliness and when you reported the problem.

Sounds like this is a real slum as you also mention cockroaches so if you possibly can move. If not seek permission for a cat.
    I don't think people on here generally have an idea of the conditions their tenants live in. Many who post sound like versions of my landlord, which is why their responses are often clueless and anti-tenant complaints.

You are wholly correct about mice. Everything I've read and those pest control professionals I've spoken to confirm such things. The bit in bold is the golden nugget. This is precisely what my landlord has failed to do (whereas we h ave done everything within our power). I believe he owns the garden and my flat + the freehold to the building. Ultimately thus, it's his responsibility to make sure the entire building is as protected as possible.

I am now having to go to the trouble of finding out who the other landlords are to inform them of the ***** state of the building. Hopefully the land registry will hold this information.

Comment

Originally posted by HantsAgent View Post
      I don't understand the mentality of someone who, upon finding mouse urine stains in cupboards and who describes parts of the property as "ridiculously filthy", would rather argue about whose responsibility it is to clean it rather than just get on and clean it.

All the time you are taking advice (which you dismiss anyway) and arguing the toss with the landlord, you are living in filth.

On what level is that rational thinking?
      There is an extraordinarily long chain of communication between my landlord and myself, and since he has come round to my way of thinking - you should assume that what you've read is an overview and not the entire story, seeing as I would be repeating what's been said to him directly.

Comment

Originally posted by JP23 View Post

The building, essentially, is not meant to be three separate flats. It's just your typical greedy, yet idiotic landlord who bought and old Victorian house and thinks he can have three successful flats out of it without doing the necessary work (aka a complete *******).

The point is, the building is not fit for purpose because of tight-fisted landlords and shoddy, unprofessional work.
        ‚Äč
        Unfortunately many Victorian houses were converted to flats before the 1991 Building Regs came in. There is no obligation to bring the buildings up to current standards.

It's often impossible to persuade the "freeholder", which may be all the leaseholders working together to enter into the work to upgrade the building; such work might be seen as prohibitively costly and could require the whole house to be unoccupied. Given that mice can enter through a hole the size of a pencil, it is virtually impossible to mouse-proof individual flats without replacing floorboards, doors, skirting and staircases.

Have you put down traps, bait or other deterrent for the mice yourself? Did the pest control person suggest anything? The Victorian solution to the problem was to keep a cat.

Comment

In my mind, mice = tenants responsibility, rats = landlords responsibility

Comment

I don't think people on here generally have an idea of the conditions their tenants live in. Many who post sound like versions of my landlord, which is why their responses are often clueless and anti-tenant complaints.
            Doesn't say much about you though if you come to these kind of LLs to ask for advice!

As I said, and you seem to agree with, moving is the only solution to your problem.

Comment

There is an extraordinarily long chain of communication between my landlord and myself, and since he has come round to my way of thinking - you should assume that what you've read is an overview and not the entire story, seeing as I would be repeating what's been said to him directly.
              Great, but you've entirely missed the point I was making.

If someone walked across my front garden and allowed their dog to take a massive dump I'd have more than reasonable grounds to hold them responsible for cleaning it up.

But if they refused or claimed that it wasn't down to them, I wouldn't leave it there for an extended period of time while we argued about it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Abandonment
                buttons
                I have had a phone call from the tenants daughter, (didnt know she existed), telling me he is leaving in two weeks. I told her he has nearly 4 months left on his 12 month AST. I subsequently got two calls from a housing association. asking for a reference for him, I told them the situation but they...
                20-09-2017, 19:56 PM
              • Reply to Abandonment
                KTC
                If the tenant holds a material interest of 6 months or more (i.e. during the 12 months AST), then the tenant is liable for council tax whether they are resident or not. During a SPT, the liability revert to the landlord when the tenant is no longer resident.
                20-09-2017, 21:33 PM
              • Tenant having parking issues trying to hold me responsible
                koksy
                I own a freehold house which has had the front garden paved over to provide off road parking. There is a dropped kerb in front of the garden and double yellow lines all the way across the front of the house.

The local neighbours are choosing to ignore the double yellow lines and keep parking...
                20-09-2017, 18:22 PM
              • Reply to Tenant having parking issues trying to hold me responsible
                leaseholder64
                The police really do not like dealing with this sort of thing, and you are unlikely to get a response, even though they could prosecute for obstructive parking. This is especially true given the double yellow lines, as they would prefer the council impose a civil penalty.

Although it will...
                20-09-2017, 21:20 PM
              • Reply to Tenant having parking issues trying to hold me responsible
                security2
                If someone blocked the public footway outside the front gate to the property so your tenant couldn't walk into the property, would he call you to get this rectified? Or would he call the police/council?

No different if its a car on the public highway or any other blockage on the public...
                20-09-2017, 21:20 PM
              • Reply to Abandonment
                Wannadonnadoodah
                May only be tenants who have housing benefit paid then.
                20-09-2017, 21:17 PM
              • Reply to Abandonment
                buttons
                This I believe is incorrect, I do have experience of that part happening before and sent the council a copy of the AST and they cancelled my charge....
                20-09-2017, 21:14 PM
              • Reply to Abandonment
                Wannadonnadoodah
                In the eyes of the council as soon as he starts paying CT at his new property the liability will fall to you regardless of what else is happening.
                20-09-2017, 21:02 PM
              • Reply to Abandonment
                buttons
                I thought you could have it so that property was marketed but he still had liability as he wont be able to pay anything as he is unemployed and would reduce his liability to council tax if let before the end of his tenancy.
                20-09-2017, 20:48 PM
              • Reply to Abandonment
                KTC
                Either you recover the property, or the tenant is still the tenant with liability for rent & council tax (during fixed term of 6 months or more). You can't have it both ways of getting the property back but not liable for council tax.
                20-09-2017, 20:38 PM
              Working...
              X