Mice in the flat - what to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mice in the flat - what to do?

We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month?

We don't see any reason why we should pay for professional cleaning when our landlord has failed to suitably plug holes and clean ***** where he knows there have been mice before.

Thanks

Pest control issues are generally the tenants responsibility to resolve, not the landlords, although this would depend on the cause. Mice will get in anywhere, its virtually impossible to make a home "mouse proof" without also making it airtight (which you clearly dont want) - for example, they can get into airbricks etc.
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

PS - if you can only "see" one or two, there are probably a lot more. They breed like rabbits (well, like mice). When you can see them, the issue is probably more severe than you think. Have you put traps or similar down?
      Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Does your landlord allow pets? Maybe get a cat?
        "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by MrShed View Post
          PS - if you can only "see" one or two, there are probably a lot more. They breed like rabbits (well, like mice). When you can see them, the issue is probably more severe than you think. Have you put traps or similar down?
          The rule of thumb used to be 20-40x as many as you see... But that was rural farmhouse stuff, no idea on 'normal' properties if its the same.

Comment

Look at your tenancy agreement as to who is responsible. Most tenancy agreements will have a clause to do with pests in the property.

Mice is a tricky one. As Mr Shed says, it is impossible to fill every gap to stop them getting in. I now provide my flats with an electronic pest repeller like this https://www.primrose.co.uk/advanced-...ouse-p-36.html . I find that when my tenants keep the kitchen clean, they don't get mice. When they leave food out and don't clear up dirty plates or crumbs, they sometimes get mice. Mice will go to wherever they can get food. If you buy an electronic repeller and keep the kitchen clean, the mice will probably go to a different flat where they can get food easily and there isn't an uncomfortable environment caused by the mouse repeller.

Comment

Originally posted by sam_cat View Post

The rule of thumb used to be 20-40x as many as you see... But that was rural farmhouse stuff, no idea on 'normal' properties if its the same.
              I had an infestation in an end terrace property once. I didnt see a single one - but there were dozens in the loft (I know as thats how many I caught).

The noise in the night was worst.

Comment

Originally posted by JP23 View Post
                where he knows there have been mice before.
                I had to deal with this in one of my properties and this is the key phrase. If there was no infestation prior to you moving in and it surfaces under your tenancy, you are liable for the cost of taking action to do all you can to eradicate it. You are suggesting that the LL knew there were mice before you moved in. How do you know this?

When you say "for a while now" how long are you talking and how soon after you noticed them did you inform the LL? Those factors will also be relevant because the longer you leave it the worse it can potentially get.

Comment

Originally posted by MrShed View Post
                  The noise in the night was worst.
                  Why didn't you take the stereo out of the loft?

Comment

Ah tatemono, that made me laugh out loud

Comment

Thanks all for responses so far.

There are several ways I know he knew about the mice, one of which is down to the landlord's pest repair guy who has come out to lay down cockroach spray at least 6 times told me the place has a history of mice because he was the one who laid down the poisons!

The landlord himself has also told us he was aware of a previous mice problem. Of course he could now deny he knew, but then he would have to explain the testimony from neighbours who have also experienced them and have spoken to his previous tenants about them.

The question really pertains to who should pay for the cleaning. I don't think we should - he knew there was a potential mouse problem and has known for years. He also knows where - in this flat, they emanate from. He could have and should protect all areas that would contain food or or food preparing items (such as cupboards) - no one is asking him to close up every known hole. However, when we wake up and find mouse urine in our cupboards, it makes us extremely frustrated, and there's no bleeding I'm gonna listen to responses from landlords who want it to be so that this is our responsibility. FOH with that nonsense.

I'm aware that the law says "if previous infestations were known about" or words to that effect - which is why I made the OP. With that law in mind, whose responsibility should it be to pay for cleaning?
                      Last edited by Moderator2; 26-07-2017, 17:42 PM.

Comment

What "law" are you talking about when you quote about "previous infestations" ?

there's no bleeding I'm gonna listen to responses from landlords who want it to be so that this is our responsibility.
                        Why ask a question on an open forum and demand that answers only agree with what you already think - what's the point of that?
                        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If the property has a history of mice and the mice are getting into cupboards, the landlord should be doing something - at the very least making your cupboards mouse proof so you can safely store food in them.

In a non aggressive way, I would write or email the landlord (so you have a record of it) with pictures of the mess the mice have made. Say that they have been getting into the cupboards and ask him to send someone to repair/mouse proof the cupboards and to clean the mess. Also, ask him what he proposes doing to stop the mice getting into the property.

On a practical note, I suggest you buy one of those electronic pest repellers and plug it in the kitchen. You can take it with you when you move.

Comment

To answer your question YOU are resp for eradication and cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by JP23 View Post
                              no bleeding I'm gonna listen to responses from landlords who want it to be so that this is our responsibility. FOH with that nonsense.
                              You don't achieve much by making stuff up and then hurling abuse. By the way if mice can get to food it is YOUR problem. No mouse I have ever met can burrow into a closed plastic tupperware-type container. No food, no mice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X