BBC Offering Dispute Resolution Services

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC Offering Dispute Resolution Services

Have you fallen out with someone in a big way? Has your relationship with a friend, relative or neighbour reached the point where you’re no longer talking? Do you have an issue that’s reached stale mate which you desperately want to sort out?

The BBC is offering a unique opportunity for people to get together to sort out their problems as part of a non-broadcast pilot. Our fully trained mediator is on hand to help people bring common sense to a situation and to help everyone sort it out.

If it sounds like we could help you, please give us a call on 09015 22 33 33 or alternatively email us at streetlegal@bbc.co.uk with your name, phone number, town, and a brief summary of your situation.

Calls cost a total of 15p from a BT landline. Mobiles and other networks may be higher.

Originally posted by BBC Street Legal View Post
    The BBC is offering a unique opportunity for people to get together to sort out their problems as part of a non-broadcast pilot. Our fully trained mediator is on hand to help people bring common sense to a situation and to help everyone sort it out.
    Common sense? From the BBC? I think not...

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by BBC Street Legal View Post
      Have you fallen out with someone in a big way? Has your relationship with a friend, relative or neighbour reached the point where you’re no longer talking? Do you have an issue that’s reached stale mate which you desperately want to sort out?

If it sounds like we could help you, please give us a call on 09015 22 33 33 or alternatively email us at streetlegal@bbc.co.uk with your name, phone number, town, and a brief summary of your situation.

Calls cost a total of 15p from a BT landline. Mobiles and other networks may be higher.
      I have an issue that needs sorting out. Spamming by the BBC using licence payers money!
      Any ideas on how this can be resolved?

Comment

Almost all the 60 000 LZ posts stem from disagreements. Perhaps an entire BBC Channel should be devoted to these disputes (but who'd want to watch it?) It could be called 'BBC Five a Strife', the film rights are still available, and I want Woody Allen to play me.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by Colincbayley View Post
          I have an issue that needs sorting out. Spamming by the BBC using licence payers money!
          Any ideas on how this can be resolved?
          Don't pay your license fee in protest.

We don't have a TV, so don't pay for a licence. Over the past 3 years we must have had 10-15 nasty letters from the authority asking us to pay up or risk a fine.

Yes, I know that the letters say "please let us know if you don't have a TV" but I object to having to do that. I don't have to phone the police to tell them I don't need a gun licence; people without cars don't have to phone the DVLA to tell them they don't need a driving licence.

It's almost as if they assume that people can't possible live without TV. A bit sad, really.

But the point is that we could have got away with having a TV with no licence for the last 3 years. It won't be long before we can say it'll be cheaper to pay the £1000 fine that it would have been to pay the £130 licence fee every year...

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by pcwilkins View Post

It's almost as if they assume that people can't possible live without TV. A bit sad, really.
            It is now classed as a sign of poverty if you do not have a TV. You can even apply for a crisis loan to buy one!!!!

Didn't know you were that poor.

Comment

I don't have a TV either. I throw all the letters in the bin and tell the 'inspectors' to go away when they knock on the door.

As for not having a TV being a sign of poverty... well all the grotty council houses/flats near to me have a satellite dish on the outside and generally a 40" TV inside.
              The contents of this note are neither advice nor a definitive answer. If you plan to rely on this, you should pay somebody for proper advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Colincbayley View Post
                It is now classed as a sign of poverty if you do not have a TV. You can even apply for a crisis loan to buy one!!!!

Didn't know you were that poor.
                In my opinion it's a sign of poverty if you have a TV. Not financial, poverty, perhaps, but common-sense-poverty

Originally posted by Grange
                I don't have a TV either.
                Congratulations!

I throw all the letters in the bin and tell the 'inspectors' to go away when they knock on the door.
                You actually get inspectors, then? We've never seen one.

Peter

Comment

Snap! I don't have a TV either- join the club. I feel slightly guilty at being a compulsive radio addict, unforrtunately.
                  The TVLC letters aren't nasty as such. They just warn of the dire penalties for cheats who use unlicensed equipment- and rightly threaten prosecution against such freeloaders.
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

£2.60 for relatively the most reliable media broadcaster in the world, without inane consumer adverts? A bargain!

Comment

The 'inspector' who came to my door was nasty, though. He told me that I had to have a licence - and I got him to put it in writing.
                      The contents of this note are neither advice nor a definitive answer. If you plan to rely on this, you should pay somebody for proper advice.

Comment

Originally posted by sibec View Post
                        £2.60 for relatively the most reliable media broadcaster in the world, without inane consumer adverts? A bargain!
                        I agree. Isn't it odd how the journalists sniping at whatever the BBC does, or keening over the financial problems of at least one commercial service provider which led to its closing two DAB-only stations, are employed by multimedia conglomerates that tend to own- guess what?- commercial service providers in competition with the BBC!

Comment

Originally posted by sibec View Post
                          I'd rather have the £2.60, thanks!

Peter

Comment

Presumably the 'show' would be run along the lines of 'Judge Judy', and they'd get that Dom to twist arms, and that guy in 'Bargain Hunt' who's always mugging the camera to act? as court bailiff. Any other suggestions for characters anyone?
                            I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
                              Presumably the 'show' would be run along the lines of 'Judge Judy', and they'd get that Dom to twist arms, and that guy in 'Bargain Hunt' who's always mugging the camera to act? as court bailiff. Any other suggestions for characters anyone?
                              Jeffrey - As the Lawyer

pcwilkins - As the Copper

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                                JP23
                                Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
                                23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
                              • Claiming for protected deposit
                                mandm
                                This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
                                Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
                                I served the...
                                21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
                              • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
                                mariner
                                Not protecting deposit correctly can deprive T of access to DPS & ADR.
                                Providing T with DPS Cert. only is not LL providing full PI
                                Many LLs cannot even serve a valid s21!

By all means let Ts police the scheme but limit their return to return of full deposit with 1-3x Penalty...
                                23-07-2017, 03:16 AM
                              • Referencing question
                                kangoo1
                                A couple wants to rent from me, she is on maternity leave and will not be returning to her previous employment, he is permanently employed and moving due to a job transfer. I have referenced him for the full rent and his guarantor has been successfully referenced.
                                I am going to prepare the ast...
                                22-07-2017, 17:19 PM
                              • Reply to Referencing question
                                mariner
                                Ref both for the full rent. Is the G a house/property owner?
                                23-07-2017, 02:38 AM
                              • Mouldy silicone wear and tear?
                                aciduzzo
                                Tenants are moving out today and i am doing the final inspection later; however, last time i was at the flat i noticed the bathroom was in a poor state.

What is the general opinion on black mould that has formed inside bathroom silicone? Is it considered wear and tear? Also, the seal...
                                03-07-2017, 08:07 AM
                              • Reply to Mouldy silicone wear and tear?
                                mystic08
                                You might like to gift your new tenants some Kilrock mould cleaner which is magic in a bottle! Cheapest in the Pound shop or The Range but supermarkets sell it too. Works brilliantly on algae too. Garden pots, patios, headstones etc.
                                22-07-2017, 20:52 PM
                              • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                                MrShed
                                I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
                                20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
                              • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                                jjlandlord
                                That's the exemption that allows sending data outside of the EEA, which is the issue discussed.

No, because of that very exemption....
                                22-07-2017, 19:19 PM
                              • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
                                JK0
                                I'll leave it at that. I'm not going to get into one of JPK's interminable arguments.
                                22-07-2017, 16:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X