TV aerial- must landlord fix/provide connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rachel230
    replied
    The flat I rent out also has problems which the tenant mentioned to me i.e. not getting a decent reception. I looked at my lease which actually said the freeholder is responsible for the outside ariel. Rather than bug him so that he has to get scaffolding (??) etc and a whole big fuss, to erect an ariel on a high building, I gave her 15 quid a month reduction to put towards SKY.

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Originally posted by simhar
    TV is not an essential for living in a property !!!!!
    Whoa Simhar... that almost qualifies as being a valid comment (almost).

What happened to the usual "Yes, that's an interesting problem" ?

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Originally posted by tracytitchmarch View Post
    our tv aerial has poor reception and we are unable to receive digital channels on our digital tv. the aerial is old and poorly maintained and in a high wind becomes loose. it is placed on a chimney stack above my daughters head (she is in an attic bedroom) we complained to LL and they sent unqualified person round to mend it disrupting further our viewing due to poor positioning. i am mostly scared that in a high wind it will fall through roof onto my daughter. complained again to LL who were on holiday and could not get any one round to mend it. how do we stand legally wise
    I think this has already been answered if you look back further in the thread...

(The point about the aerial falling through the roof and hurting your daughter
    is total rubbish, unless your roof is made of soggy tissue paper!)

Leave a comment:

• tracytitchmarch
    replied
    i am a tenant with a wonky tv aerial

our tv aerial has poor reception and we are unable to receive digital channels on our digital tv. the aerial is old and poorly maintained and in a high wind becomes loose. it is placed on a chimney stack above my daughters head (she is in an attic bedroom) we complained to LL and they sent unqualified person round to mend it disrupting further our viewing due to poor positioning. i am mostly scared that in a high wind it will fall through roof onto my daughter. complained again to LL who were on holiday and could not get any one round to mend it. how do we stand legally wise

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Try to see the lease which L holds. This may identify who is responsible for aerials- perhaps within service charge scheme for which L, as lessee, pays service charge to freehold reversioner or management company.

Leave a comment:

• dmc
    replied
    This is a common problem in new build houses - I've no problems about paying for an aerial to be fitted as a landlord - I'd rather have a happy tenant!

Leave a comment:

• richmabbutt
    replied
    Aerial not working

Can anyone help me?
    I moved into a privately rented flat 4 months ago.
    The 5 flats have a communal tv aerial which only works very occassionally.
    Others have given up asking the landlord to fix it/replace it and have gone with a sky dish.
    I can't afford that, and don't see why I should pay extra.
    The landlord says it is tenants responsibility and I hear otherwise.
    Does anyone know where to find a written legal document to back this up?
    Something I could take to him to prove he's responsible for it?
    Yours extremely frustrated at missing the ends of programmes,
    Rich.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Colincbayley View Post
    Also bear in mind that if you are to replace an aerial then you may as well install a digital unit as these will be required within the next 4 years anyway.
    Not so much "required"- there's no law compelling anyone to have a TV- but, rather, "necessary equipment" once analogue TV signals are turned off everywhere. Whitehaven was the first area changed-over, the rest of the UK is following over the next 4-5 years, and analogue radio will go off gradually after that. Get a DAB radio, too, esp. as prices are now much more reasonable.

Leave a comment:

• Colincbayley
    replied
    Also bear in mind that if you are to replace an aerial then you may as well install a digital unit as these will be required within the next 4 years anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Originally posted by katrinahale View Post
    So am I to understand that if an ariel is already at the property I am responsible ?
    Basically, yes - if the tenant was provided with the facility of (eg) a TV aerial when she moved in then it's incumbent on the LL to maintain/replace it or whatever.

If no ariel is present do I have to provide one ?
    I'd say not; but to be honest it's the sort of thing which most tenants would probably just assume a rented property to have, might not notice was missing until after they moved in, and then be thoroughly miffed. If you don't have an aerial and don't intend to fit one (which I'd say would be very cheapskate), then in my opinion it's something to specifically point out to the tenant before they sign up with you in order to avoid your relationship getting off to a bad start.

Try searching this forum for "aerial" (note spelling) - there's been plenty of discussion on it.

Leave a comment:

• katrinahale
    replied
    Hi

So am I to understand that if an ariel is already at the property I am responsible ?

If no ariel is present do I have to provide one ?

Thanks

Katrina

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Originally posted by katrinahale View Post
    I have a tenant who says I am responsible for her tv ariel, she thinks the wind has blown it about and now her reception is not good. Am I responsible ?
    When you say "her" aerial, I'm assuming it's "your" aerial, ie that it was there when the tenant moved in? Unless the tenant had it fitted herself, then it's your responsibility to maintain it.

Leave a comment:

• katrinahale
    started a topic TV aerial- must landlord fix/provide connection?

TV aerial- must landlord fix/provide connection?

Hi

I have a tenant who says I am responsible for her tv ariel, she thinks the wind has blown it about and now her reception is not good. Am I responsible ? any advise

Thanks

Katrina

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Single parent renting
    by Hudson01
    But we don't, as said in another post, we are a business and as such we pick and choose whom we feel will be best suited to our properties and will cause the least issues. The real culprits in all of this are the (and previous) governments, who, over many decades, have failed to build enough social...
    19-05-2022, 18:41 PM
  • Single parent renting
    by Dct
    A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
    18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
  • Reply to What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
    by doobrey
    My view would be that it is best for all concerned to bring the tenancy to an end.

If he gives notice, that ends the tenancy for both of them on expiry of that notice. This puts you in a considerably stronger position than if you give him notice (in which case you may well have to then...
    19-05-2022, 18:13 PM
  • What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
    by HMOmike
    I have a house rented on a standard AST to the same tenant since 2016. He has rented at other properties of mine on a single room basis for maybe 10 years prior and is a decent guy and very reliable. He is a Latvian and in 2017 he married a lady from Ukraine. He adopted his wife’s son and all 3 have...
    19-05-2022, 15:35 PM
  • Reply to Single parent renting
    by Dct
    She wants to move for reasons that are personal to her, I can't act as her gaurantor I'm the one helping her with her kids and I'm no position to do this. Some landlords need to give their heads a wobble and give single parents the benefit of the doubt
    19-05-2022, 18:13 PM
    by KTC
    It would be a normal non-accelerated claim for possession, not a possession claim against trespassers occupying. Someone who stayed after their notice to quit and hence their tenancy has expired are trespassers, but they didn't originally entered as a trespassers (since they had a tenancy) so the normal...
    19-05-2022, 18:11 PM
    by HMOmike
    Thank you I never realised that they could jointly or severally give notice and that would end the contract for all, but it does make sense and you put it so clearly, thank you. How do I take it to court for possession? I have a reasonable grasp of S21 and S8 and have been to court for possession and...
    19-05-2022, 18:02 PM
  • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
    by jpkeates
    The problem is that the agent isn't bound by the tenancy agreement, and what they do with the deposit depends on their agreement with you.

As you can't do anything with the deposit anyway, because it's the company's money and they don't agree that you can have any of it, it's a bit academic...
    19-05-2022, 15:57 PM
  • Is my estate agent misleading me?
    by abimsalabim
    I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
    18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
    by jpkeates
    If the tenancy is joint and several, and it's in a periodic tenancy, one tenant can serve notice and that ends the tenancy for both of them. So you don't have to serve notice on anyone if you don't want to.
    That bit is simple.

The issue you will then face is that neither of them or...
    19-05-2022, 15:51 PM
Working...
X