Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• residential lettings

HI

I recently had tenants sign a 6 mths agreement and pay deposit. They then took possesion of the keys. On the same night they called me very late to say that their furniture would not fit so they did not want the house any more. What would be my action and can I keep the deposit as rent until I find new tenants. The deposit is lodged with the DPS.

Thanks

Katrina

They have signed an AST? Therefore they are committed to the agreement, it is your choice if you want to let them out of the contract or not.

Furniture not fitting is not a valid excuse to end the tenancy.

Comment

I would tell them they have signed a legally inforcesable contract which they now have to pay and they should have checked if the furniture fitted before hand.

You can tell them you will be prepared to release them from the contract if you can find new tenants but they will be responsable for all rent up until that date and all extra costs (ad's etc). You should not be left out of pocket at all.

I just dont understand some of these tenants you tell them the legal implication of a AST and signing it and they then think they can change it or get out of it.

I have 2 tenants like that at the moment, 1 who now wants to change the rent due date 1 month into the contract and 1 month later wants out.

Another who wants out and doesnt or wont understand why they cant leave early if they give enough notice and complain when you put them straight.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• NTQ during fixed term?
        vpltd
        Hi,
        Can a LL issue a valid NTQ during the six-month fixed term of an AST agreement?
        (A residential let in England.)
        VPL.
        11-08-2017, 14:53 PM
      • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
        jjlandlord
        You made a claim. You tell us.

It was claimed that a tenant may freely leave whenever he pleases once he has received a s.21notice. If that was indeed the case you can imagine the mess with all those precautionary notices.

It was already the case...
        18-08-2017, 12:43 PM
      • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
        Wright76
        I totally agree, I was just trying to find any justification for claims that a tenant must serve notice in return of a section 21. It could never ever be demanded within the 2 month notice period, and in my opinion I agree it couldn't be demanded thereafter. But JJlandlord is adamant that requirement...
        18-08-2017, 12:40 PM
      • Lying tenant
        mazco
        We had a tenant in our property. Initial agreement was for 6 months from April 2016 but then went on to SPT.
        In June he didn't pay his rent due on 15th of the month. Chased him and got excuses. On 10th July got a text from him saying he had moved out and left a key under the mat for us. He reckoned...
        18-08-2017, 12:03 PM
      • Reply to Lying tenant
        JK0
        Hmm. If tenant was stupid enough to leave valuable furniture behind, it's JK0's money in my book.

(Not that that ever happened. All I get left is broken Ikea tat.)
        18-08-2017, 12:30 PM
      • Reply to Lying tenant
        jpkeates
        The deposit doesn't limit what you can try and recover from the tenant.
        It's simply a convention designed to make a simple claim easier.

You can't sell the tenant's goods and use the proceeds to settle their debt without their consent.
        That's the tenant's money.
        18-08-2017, 12:27 PM
      • Reply to Lying tenant
        mazco
        Unfortunately the deposit doesn't come close to what he already owes. Deposit of just over £1100 to cover two months rent at £900 per month, replacement carpet £200, bath replacement needed, disposal of rubbish, clearing of garden. He 'kindly' left us some furniture which I managed to sell for around...
        18-08-2017, 12:24 PM
      • Reply to Lying tenant
        jpkeates
        And, of course, this....
        18-08-2017, 12:22 PM
      • Reply to Lying tenant
        jpkeates
        There are rules about who is responsible for the council tax. And they relate to residence, not the tenancy.
        If the tenant is in the fixed term of a tenancy agreement, that means they're liable.
        If they are in a rolling agreement and move out, you are liable.

If the tenancy...
        18-08-2017, 12:21 PM
      • Reply to Lying tenant
        JK0
        I'd forget about getting utilites to believe you. Just work out a reasonable extra amount to add to deposit request.
        18-08-2017, 12:18 PM
      Working...
      X