over-fussy tenants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

over-fussy tenants

Has anyone got any good advice on how to deal with over-fussy tenants?

I have ended up podding out unecessarily for a new front door recently and now they are getting to work on the gas fire.

The agent seems very good at fending them off: explaining where their responsibilities lie and our obligations end.

I don't want to put 'em off living there as I quite like 'em...but I wish they'd stop pushing for costly improvements that aren't needed.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

thanks

What are their objections to the original door and current fire?

Comment

Originally posted by pete's properties View Post
      Has anyone got any good advice on how to deal with over-fussy tenants?

I have ended up podding out unecessarily for a new front door recently and now they are getting to work on the gas fire.

The agent seems very good at fending them off: explaining where their responsibilities lie and our obligations end.

I don't want to put 'em off living there as I quite like 'em...but I wish they'd stop pushing for costly improvements that aren't needed.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

thanks
      As a LL you should 'maintain' your property and deal with repairs. However you do not have to improve the property for the tenants if you do not want to.

Your best bet is to pop round, have a cuppa with your tenants and explain this to them. Perhaps even agree to some improvements if the tenant wants to split the costs with you, your choice.

Comment

The buzz word here is compromise. If they are worried about carbon monoxide for example but the gas fire is perfectly okay, there are alarms which can be installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Beeber View Post
          What are their objections to the original door and current fire?
          The original door needed painting, which I had arranged to do, and needed refitting, which had been done, and needed draught exclusion, which was fitted, but apparently there was still a draught.

It was a case of whether to pay to strip and re-paint the door, or pay extra for a brand new door, which was far more expensive.

The old door was in fact a very good solid door.

In the end I went for the new door despite the cost as I thought the tenants would be happy.

The fire is fine except for the ignition: this has been noted by a CORGI inspector but as the fire works he says it is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by DianeB View Post
            The buzz word here is compromise. If they are worried about carbon monoxide for example but the gas fire is perfectly okay, there are alarms which can be installed.
            Thanks Diane

I think it boils down to unreasonable insecurity on the part of the tenants, who are quite young.

I can understand where they are coming from.

They already have the alarm you mentioned, so probably the key to the whole thing is better communication between me, the agent and the tenants.

Comment

I'd fix the fire. It doesn't work properly.

Give your tenants a well looked-after home and they will look after it. As it is, it sounds as though your house is falling to pieces.
              The contents of this note are neither advice nor a definitive answer. If you plan to rely on this, you should pay somebody for proper advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Colincbayley View Post
                As a LL you should 'maintain' your property and deal with repairs. However you do not have to improve the property for the tenants if you do not want to.

Your best bet is to pop round, have a cuppa with your tenants and explain this to them. Perhaps even agree to some improvements if the tenant wants to split the costs with you, your choice.
                Thanks, Colincbayley

There are some improvements I would like to make. You are probably right that it would help if I explained about maintenance.

There has been no money coming in yet (it's all gone on fees, improvements/repairs so far), but maybe if they suggest where they want improvements perhaps one or two could be made each year.

How about a fixed budget for non-essentail work, and let them say where they think the priorities are?

Comment

Originally posted by pete's properties View Post
                  How about a fixed budget for non-essentail work, and let them say where they think the priorities are?
                  Can of worms comes to mind!

I wouldn't do that, you should maintain the property and complete and improvements that YOU want. If your tenants suggest improvements and you are happy then by all means, but I wouldn't leave them an open cheque book.

Comment

Thanks again Colin

You can probably tell...I am a bit inexperienced at this game.

It is very hard at first to find the balance between being a good landlord and being a mug. I suppose I have to learn as I go along

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Erroneous Change Of Occupancy Fee
                      Sonofahod
                      Hi There,

I am planning to move out of a shared rental property in March. Foxtons, the agency managing the property want to charge me a £300 "Change of Occupancy" administration fee as we have not reached the full term of the tenancy. I realise that the fee covers both me leaving...
                      23-01-2018, 13:16 PM
                    • Reply to Erroneous Change Of Occupancy Fee
                      mariner
                      Your information is severely deficient,
                      Of course a move out inspection can be chargedeven with no move in report.
                      You accepted LA fees by proceeding with Application.
                      Deposit ADR cannot be used to contest Agency fees.
                      24-01-2018, 02:53 AM
                    • Attending Court - Advice Please
                      Muzza
                      Hi there

I posted recently about our tenant leaving and giving her ex the keys to our house, we have a court date of 4th January for which Im flying back to the UK to attend (no contact or rent received from the persons she has left in there still). I feel hes staying in there as long...
                      12-12-2017, 18:03 PM
                    • Reply to Attending Court - Advice Please
                      Muzza
                      Thank you, Ill take a look!
                      24-01-2018, 02:31 AM
                    • Broken Boiler
                      andy967
                      HI - our boiler broke yesterday - our landlord is currently waiting for a quote for a new boiler - however one of the problems we have is that she lives abroad. It consequently means she's able to speak to people in the uk about any sort of business matter for 3 hours in the afternoon. I'm wondering...
                      23-01-2018, 13:55 PM
                    • Reply to Broken Boiler
                      Muzza
                      I live in the US at the moment, 7 hours behind the UK, yes its difficult BUT when my boiler broke I had someone out within 2 days, one thing she should have in place is a boiler cover or she should have tradesmen lined up who she trusts so if something goes wrong she can get in touch with them immediately,...
                      24-01-2018, 02:29 AM
                    • Section 8 notice served, what next
                      lakemk
                      Hi section 8 notice was served for rent arrears last wk, it doesn’t look like the tenant is going to pay , my question is what should I do next to prepare me for the court as I never been.

I ve seen the post before abt the tenant may defend for disrepair, the house in fairly good condition...
                      22-01-2018, 21:46 PM
                    • Reply to Section 8 notice served, what next
                      Muzza
                      Hi - I attended court a few weeks ago, we used several grounds in the section 8, the mandatory one being the rent arrears, they didnt put a defence in, show up or pay so the judge just asked for proof I had served the section 8 (proof of postage receipts from the PO) and an up to date rent statement...
                      24-01-2018, 02:24 AM
                    • Leak into downstairs flat - advice
                      Dberry
                      Hi,

I'm new the forum and the UK and wonder if you can advise…
                      I’ve recently moved to the UK from Canada and so I’m not sure of rights and liabilities... I moved into my flat a few months ago and caused a leak into the apartment below me by leaving the tap running in the bathroom...
                      23-01-2018, 08:50 AM
                    • Reply to Leak into downstairs flat - advice
                      mariner
                      T responsibility.
                      24-01-2018, 02:13 AM
                    Working...
                    X